PDA

View Full Version : South Performance Power Gasket

VTAudiA4
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Ok so I was just browsing ECS and I found this gasket for the intake manifold that supposedly lowers temperatures by 30-50 F. The dyno graph shows an increase of about 10HP. Does this really work? If it does then I would like to buy one. If you have any experience with this product pleas let me know. Thanks. Also for some reason it wont let me put up the pics on this site so follow the link.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=power+gasket&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Audi&model=B5+A4&submodel=Quattro&engine=1.8T

317ssayzarc
12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
my reason for not running one is because all that heat that is supposed to be tranfered from the head is now stuck in the head... running higher than normal head temps is not something i want to do with an aluminum head and if the temps got high enough, (this part is purely theoretical) you could burn a valve...

UCFQuattroguy
12-23-2007, 06:29 PM
the issue I ran into when I ran a phalonic spacer was that the extra height on the intake manifold put pressure onto the coolant hard-pipe, thusly cracking the coolant flange on the rear of the engine block. As far as performance, It did keep the intake mani temps down.....until you came to a stop letting ambient engine bay temps work their "magic".

VTAudiA4
12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

mike-2ptzero
12-24-2007, 05:48 AM
I have one on my car. I found that it doesn't actually reduce the temps of the intake manifold but just reduces the amount of time it takes the IM to heat up and allows the IM to cool down quicker since there is less head/IM surface area. This is the only reason it is still on my car since I can start my car so I can warm it up to make a 1/4 mile pass without and the IM wont be as hot before making the run, then after the run the IM cools down quicker which means less down time before my next run. The reason the IM will still heat up is because heat still travels thru the studs/bolts that hold the IM to the head and the air being blow in thru the TB. Only real data we dont have is like 317ssayzarc talks about is how much this effects the head/cylinder temps since less of the heat is traveling to the IM. The other thing it will effect is the injectors since they are now being moved further away from the head/valves, but I haven't seen any data on that either.

Euro-Tuner
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I have one, didnt notice a power difference, but it definitly keeps the IM cooler in regular driving conditions, when Im driving real hard for a while it gets too hot to notice a difference, I dont feel like burning my hand to compare, but I can say it does work...

mike-2ptzero
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I have one, didnt notice a power difference, but it definitly keeps the IM cooler in regular driving conditions, when Im driving real hard for a while it gets too hot to notice a difference, I dont feel like burning my hand to compare, but I can say it does work...

Wouldn't the best way to just use a Infrared Tire Temp Gauge?

http://www.speedpartz.com/tire_temp.jpg

http://www.speedpartz.com/tire-temp-readout.jpg

I see plenty of racers using them at the drag races and they only cost about $60.

VTAudiA4
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
So would you guys recommend it?

317ssayzarc
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
because of the reasons i posted, no