PDA

View Full Version : problem with blinking engine check light... great xmas story

DJmuggs
12-23-2007, 09:50 AM
what amazing timing. i have a shitload of xmas shopping to get down and all of a sudden my car starts shaking whenever i push on the gas and the engine light starts blinking. the shaking gets so bad that i cant even go past 45mph b/c the faster i go the more it shakes.
i bring the 1999 a4 quattro to a shop around the block and he says its a coil that has a problem and cant work on it till monday...
now whats the name of this coil? does it have something to do with my clinders?
how much do one of those go for a 4wd car? and is it alright if i drive around with it like this for a few hours? i really need to get some shit done before the 25th...

Blake260
12-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Its a coilpack...about 60 bucks (i think) ECS, PUREMS lots of places sell them. the shaking is/are misfires. probaly about 100 At Audi

DJmuggs
12-23-2007, 10:46 AM
is it alright that im driving around a lil?

creechsa4
12-23-2007, 10:50 AM
you're a 99, ndbw coil packs really never go bad. your spark plugs are super worn down, or your icm is on the way out. also check your spark plug boots to see if they're cracked where spark is leaking. the boots are replaceable.

AudiSport12
12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
you sure your sunroof isnt shaking?

on an even more serious note, dont drive the car.

SnowBum124
12-23-2007, 10:58 AM
if i was you i would get it fix as soon as you can.i would not drive on it. its not hard to do at all it will take you 5mins.

DJmuggs
12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
would the spark plugs be the reason my car shakes like that?

B5Burn
12-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Definitely check the plugs and stuff (quick, easy steps).. it sounds similar to a problem I had a while back, 2 coil wires had a small friction hole rubbed through the rubber wire coating and when I would get up to higher revs, it would short a little and it would hesitate and pop and backfire like she was pissed. Found the spots, replaced the wires.. cleaned the plugs, good as gold.

Maybe not same problem, but just offering up something to review.

AudiRacerS4
12-23-2007, 11:35 AM
you're a 99, ndbw coil packs really never go bad. your spark plugs are super worn down, or your icm is on the way out. also check your spark plug boots to see if they're cracked where spark is leaking. the boots are replaceable.

are you serious? nDBW coils go bad all the time...I've replace about 4 coil packs since I bought my car 1 1/2 years ago granted they are not as bad as the 2001's which had a recall but they still go bad [wrench]

DND
12-23-2007, 12:13 PM
my car starts shaking whenever i push on the gas and the engine light starts blinking.

That is exactly the symptom I had with a bad coilpack. You can get all four for about $130 (plus install if you don't do it yourself). Check the code(s) to see which cylinder(s) it is. Replace them all just in case and keep any that are still okay for backups.

A4Sam2.8
12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
yeah i had a similar problem, shaking and misfireing got so bad i couldn't use 5th gear, it didnt have enough power. I had a crack in one of my spark plug wires. Easy fix with some electrical tape, and she was runnign smoother than ever!

good luck, also try searching other threads, there have been a million posts on this subject (including one of my own!) , u might find more info on it!

Nor_Cal_Driver
12-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a fouled plug or bad coil to me too, this happened to me last week, I replaced all plugs and coil packs for about $145, took 20 minutes, a wrench, socket, spark plug gapper and a magnet to fish out the plugs when unscrewed. Find a write up, buy the plugs and coil packs at a VW dealer, and save some Christmas money.

Lazer Viking
12-23-2007, 04:22 PM
its not the fucking coilpacks... ndbw cars dont have coil pack issues... 100 bucks says its the fuggin icm

go out to your car, and if you are mechanically inclined enough, remove the #2 coil pack and #1 coil pack... now switch them (dont touch the plugs) start the car, if the missfire dosent sound worse, or better, then it is your icm.. if it does change (get worse or better) then check your plugs and coilpacks

seatown88
12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
so if the number two cylinder is causing the misfire, and you switch the coilpacks around and its still missing, that means that its the icm....am i getting that right?

Lazer Viking
12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
yes, #2 is always the one to go in an icm failure

DJmuggs
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
well, i got the part in the mail yesterday for 70$ from some autoparts website and i open up my engine cover to find that one of my coils was UNPLUGGED and two of their screws were loose. when i gave my car to the mechanic he told me one of the coils were bad, so i guessed he unplugged the bad one, so i put the new part in the the unplugged one and the blinking check engine stopped and now it just stays lite.
how can i find out how to take the check engine light off so i can finally get my freaking inspection?

DJmuggs
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
oh yeh, and when i drive the shaking has stopped

bender
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
the CEL will turn itself off after a while. Give it a day or two.

AudiSport12
12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
well, i got the part in the mail yesterday for 70$ from some autoparts website and i open up my engine cover to find that one of my coils was UNPLUGGED and two of their screws were loose. when i gave my car to the mechanic he told me one of the coils were bad, so i guessed he unplugged the bad one, so i put the new part in the the unplugged one and the blinking check engine stopped and now it just stays lite.
how can i find out how to take the check engine light off so i can finally get my freaking inspection?

he left the bad one unplugged so you knew which one was bad. the light will go off in a day or two but if not, take it to autozone and they'll do it.

the shaking has stopped because you have fixed the problem.

Nor_Cal_Driver
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I got the light to go off by unplugging the battery for 5 minutes.

DJmuggs
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
awesome, the shaking and blinking light is back... sweet

317ssayzarc
12-30-2007, 07:58 PM
ICM... its not plugs... it never hurts to do plugs but that wont fix your problem... according to your first post, it happen all of a sudden... plugs dont just foul all of a sudden lol... i put my money on an ICM

AudiSport12
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Could be the ICM or another plug. If its Cyl 2 that is shitting out, its probably the ICM. If not, it may be another coil. To be safe, I'd order 3 more coils and just replace them all because in the end they most likely will all go at some point.

ps. did you change your plugs after you changed out the coil? A plug is no good if it is used with a bad coil pack.

blacka4
12-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Look man it is the ICM. Everyone here has said it trust us. it is located near the air filter under a piece of plastic (hopefully someone will post up a pic because I don't have one). the part is going to run you about 150 to 300 (i think). its not the coil packs and its not a spark plug although it doesn't hurt to change them after you replace the ICM. I have had this problem and I didn't even think about changing out the coil packs

I have over 111K on my original coil packs. in my nDBW B5. going to replace them when I do my timing belt here at 120K just for shits a and giggles

And I am sorry if it seems like I am yelling at you. I just hate it when people spend unnecessary money to repair their car after people that have the same car experienced the same problems and told you what was wrong

DJmuggs
12-31-2007, 07:10 AM
thanks, but can someone tell me what ICM stands for? ive been looking online for an hour now and cant find any autoparts websites that sell ICMs

317ssayzarc
12-31-2007, 07:18 AM
haha, sorry... its the ignition control module... heres a link to where you can get one:

http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?html=vehicle-home.html&make=Audi&model=B5%20A4&submodel=Quattro&engine=1.8T

DJmuggs
12-31-2007, 07:37 AM
i really dont think its the ICM, because when i replaced the coil my mechanic unplugged with the new coil, the car was running fine for about 10 miles THEN started shaking

its gotta do with something in the coils/sparks

ChescoS6
12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
i bring the 1999 a4 quattro to a shop around the block and he says its a coil that has a problem and cant work on it till monday...
now whats the name of this coil? does it have something to do with my clinders?
how much do one of those go for a 4wd car? [rolleyes]

Who talks like this? I have a hard time believing this kid is serious.

If you really do have a problem then take the advice in the previous post and replace the ICM.

DJmuggs
12-31-2007, 10:44 AM
alright..... ordering the icm offline as we speakj

audib5a4
12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
i didnt read abocve if its not the coilpack it may be icm like said above

Euro-Tuner
12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
[rolleyes]

Who talks like this? I have a hard time believing this kid is serious.

If you really do have a problem then take the advice in the previous post and replace the ICM.

that makes 2 of us, every post by Muggs is a complete waste of bandwidth as is his profile...[down]

DJmuggs
01-01-2008, 08:09 AM
suck dis dic

TMorris
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
i love it. I love watching everyone who is new spaz out at his responses and the ones who are older just shake there heads.

audiness
01-01-2008, 07:57 PM
i stopped reading at about the 4th post . All the information neeed has been given, i guess people just need to figure stuff out the hard way sometimes...[confused]

creechsa4
01-02-2008, 01:06 AM
are you serious? nDBW coils go bad all the time...I've replace about 4 coil packs since I bought my car 1 1/2 years ago granted they are not as bad as the 2001's which had a recall but they still go bad [wrench]

i didn't see that i was quoted on this, but yeah i'm serious. i've never replaced a coil pack and i have 2 pre 2000 b5 a4's. however i did replace the boots on the coil packs which were cracking. I only paid like 5 bucks per boot. did you know those were replaceable? that sure beats spending like 50+ bucks per coil pack.

DJmuggs
01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
alright iam going to order ICM huco brand off this website http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=ignition&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Audi&model=B5+A4&submodel=Quattro&engine=1.8T

now how much does it cost to get someone to program and install it? or can i do it myself?