PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot......Clutch is toast

JumboBlack1.8
12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
So last night, on my way back home from the bar (Don't worry...I was the DD), my friends and I decided to do some doughnuts in a big empty parking lot close to my buddy's house. After about a minute, we took off out of the parking lot, and headed home. So, i pull up to the red light outside of the parking lot, and the car WON"T go into gear easily. I had to literally jam the shifter into gear. I went to bed, thinking that SOMEHOW to problem would go away, but it hasn't. The pedal still has normal pressure, but the shifter has to be forced into gear. When the car is off, the shifter moves normally and easily. I'm thinking that I could've done one of several things: either I blew out the hydraulic pump, could've boiled the clutch fluid, or I could've damaged my throw-out bearing. I"m not sure whats happened. The car does drive, and the clutch still engages, but it takes too much effort to shift. Before last night, my clutch had started to slip pretty badly in 3rd - 5th gear. So, doing doughnuts on a slipping clutch probably wasn't a great idea [headbang][headbang]. So, my question is, considering that the car is still driveable, how long do I have before it completely goes?? It's the holiday season, so most local shops are shut down until after january. I'll be needing my car in the next few weeks, so I wanna know if it'll be safe to use it.....Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got Southbend Stage 4 clutch sitting in my room, so it might be time to get that installed [wrench]

xAUDIx
12-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Shift linkage? Could be why its hard to put in gear?

NyteEscape
12-22-2007, 10:31 AM
i wouldn't drive it much, mostly to make sure u dont glaze ur flywheel..

fikes
12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I am going to go with shift linkage too. For the s4 its a common problem but if your fooling around with it, it could happen. I don't know the web for the s4 links but I think they have a4 ones on there too. I think for the s4 its the 2nd to 3rd that goes band or its something.

tdn
12-22-2007, 10:35 AM
exact same thing happened to me.. but it happened when i took on another audi. i pulled up to a light, and it became very difficult to get in gear. but would be easy when the car was off. cost me about $1500 for a southbend clutch, flywheel and labor. my pressure plate was in pieces by the way.

JumboBlack1.8
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
^^I thought that could be the problem too, but the pedal pressure is normal and the clutch still engages.....I guess I should leave the car alone for a while, which absolutely SUCKS cuz I had a great winter road trip planned....damn i feel like such a fool for doin this....

GetBoosted84
12-22-2007, 11:08 AM
My car is really hard to put into first when I am still rolling but it is smooth as butter when I am at a complete stop. Could this also be the same type of issue? The clutch in my car is only 15k miles young so I just assumed that was normal since it has done it since I bought the car (10k miles ago).

b5a4lover
12-22-2007, 11:16 AM
this same thing happened to me on my stock clutch. i let the car sit for a few days, drove it and the clutch was fine again. hopefully you'll have the same luck

JumboBlack1.8
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
GetBoosted, its not the same problem at all. My car did the same thing before my current problem. When ur rolling, the car won't let you shift into first because theres too much pressure built up in the tranmission, and downshifting to first when ur goin too fast will cause some damage to the first gear synchros (I think). But my issue happens in every gear. I'm REALLY hoping its not the shifter linkage, cuz that would be a more expensive fix. If its the clutch, that'd be less of a disaster, since I've been dying to get my southbend clutch put in anyway.....I'll let it sit for a few days, and just pray that Santa will bring me a lil Xmas miracle.... I just drove it a second ago, it it felt a LITTLE better, but its still bad.....Anyone know how much would it cost to fix the shifter linkage, if that turns out to be the problem?

GetBoosted84
12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok, thanks for the info. Sorry for the thread jack and good luck with the car. Hopefully the issue will just go away.

jturnbull
12-22-2007, 12:25 PM
My car is really hard to put into first when I am still rolling but it is smooth as butter when I am at a complete stop. Could this also be the same type of issue? The clutch in my car is only 15k miles young so I just assumed that was normal since it has done it since I bought the car (10k miles ago).

Im pretty sure the syncro prevents u from putting it into first if ur not at a stop

mark_2328
12-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I had this happen with my old 96 talon (i know, its a whole different ball game with audis), pretty sure i had either a leaky master or slave cylinder. I'd bleed the clutch and it would work fine for a week or 2, then it would start doing the same thing. I'd have to pretty much turn the car off at stoplights and put it in first, start it again, and then it'd be alright but still hard to get into gear. Try bleeding the fluid, if not that then I'd probly be replacing it.. :)

JumboBlack1.8
12-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm really hoping this is gonna be a simple fix.....I'm just gonna leave the car parked up until after the holidays, then get the clutch replaced as soon as possible. Luckily, I got a warranty when I bought the car, so my repair bill might not be that severe.... I'll keep my fingers crossed

tdn
12-23-2007, 02:17 PM
a warranty that covers your clutch? i've got to see this.. [hail]

even the 50k mile warranty with new audis doesn't cover the clutch.. sort of.

audispeed
12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
This is almost definitely the clutch and not the shifter linkage. The clutch was already slipping combined with the fact that the car goes into gear fine while off but not while running indicates this. Second, Audi will cover clutches, but only in the rarest of circumstances if you are very nice. Unless the clutch goes within the first 25k, dont even think about asking as you will probably just get laughed at.

JumboBlack1.8
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Yea, I think its definitely the pressure plate, because the car still moves and shifts....I know of a shop that'll install the clutch for $400, so I'm just gonna take it there as soon as I get a chance

ActiveMonkey
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Same thing happened to me. Here are pictures

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC04051.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC04055.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC04056.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC04057.jpg

nrosei4
12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Active Monkey - what did your clutch facings look like after you removed your clutch cover? Just curious - from the picture, something is causing the pressure plate to not be flat.

GR-RALLYE
12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Active Monkey - what did your clutch facings look like after you removed your clutch cover? Just curious - from the picture, something is causing the pressure plate to not be flat.

it looks like the just bent the pressure plate fingers..