PDA

View Full Version : Random Seizing?

Quiksilver3133
12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey guys I was hoping to get a little help from someone regarding my car...
It's a 1999.5 1.8T quattro, 111,000 miles.
It's been working fine, but yesterday while I was accelerating, it suddenly died out on me, but before the RPMs hit 0, it suddenly came back to life. It's all about a 1-2 second process. Then at a stoplight, it sputtered a bit, the rpms got erratic from 500-1200, then it just died. After a couple seconds, it started up again right away, but subsequently I've had instances where it just dies on me for a second or two, lurches, then comes back and I can accelerate again.

My dad, who is very familiar with cars, (but not german ones), suggested it may be the distributor cap - it was raining so he suggested maybe some condensation got in there and the connections, which are already corroded a bit, weren't being made. He said go get a new one, but I can't even find any for the A4 online so I don't want to walk into a car parts store and ask for something that doesn't exist. haha

Any ideas? Could it just be a bad tank of gas? (I fill up at chevron with either 89 or 91)

Thanks [confused]

ct1.8t4me
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
There is no distributor cap on these cars. They are direct, coil-on-plug ignition. Is there a Check Engine Light?

Quiksilver3133
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
No check engine light. Just started it and it had some trouble, sputtered a bit, then died. Then I started it again and it did okay, but there is a funny noise coming from the front of the engine bay, near the ground. (I had to get on the ground to get close) Best way to describe it is the sound that a street sweeper makes. But not as loud, of course.

ct1.8t4me
12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
It sounds like you may have a tear in one of your intake/turbo hoses. Do you have a boost gauge?

Quiksilver3133
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
yeah I have a boost gauge

tamadrumr88
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
... and what is it reading at idle?

pfa65
12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but perhaps spark plug wires? if old and cracked, they like to arc in moist air...

Quiksilver3133
12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
boost gauge is reading normal at idle. I know it's not an airflow problem.
Feels more like an electrical problem, like it's grounding somewhere, or a fuel pump/injector problem. I'll check the spark plug wires, good idea

AudiRacerS4
12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
boost gauge is reading normal at idle. I know it's not an airflow problem.
Feels more like an electrical problem, like it's grounding somewhere, or a fuel pump/injector problem. I'll check the spark plug wires, good idea

whats it reading tell us so we can tell you if its normal [up]

317ssayzarc
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but perhaps spark plug wires? if old and cracked, they like to arc in moist air...

what spark plug wires are you talking about?

audib5a4
12-20-2007, 06:45 PM
This isnt a camaro lol distributer caps and condensation ruining them doesnt exist or happen in a audi,(real engineering lol)

quattro16
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
wheres the noise coming from. T-belt maybe?

seanko04
12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
^^Bump^^
I would like some help also because Im having the same problem, lucky for me she didnt shut down yet. I was told to change the spark plugs so thats what Im doing tomorrow, if I get any results Ill let you know.

OK I changed the spark plugs and damn I got such a pull from my car. I thought it helped out but it started jerking again today. The RPM's would just sit there doing nothing as my foot went all the way down on the gas. The car really felt like it wanted to turn off but then it kicked back in. Im worried because I have no idea what the problem is. Any help for both of us please.