PDA

View Full Version : no spark, no fuel, no code, no start

dualaudi
12-18-2007, 02:25 PM
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2766698.phtml

My co-workers car: '96 2.8qm

Accessory belt to the AC and Alternator broke. Drove for a few miles w/o it and not overheating. Replaced belt, and added fluid, Now it won't start.

Seems like no spark and no fuel, but the ignition turns... albeit a little sluggish because maybe the Alternator was not running the battery when the belt broke.

and no codes when we vagged it.

How can we trouble shoot now? maybe just electrical?

Rico750
12-18-2007, 02:56 PM
sounds like mayeb a cable came loose while replacing that belt..
i would maybe pull the battery loose and wait a couple of min. Let the thing reset itselevs and try to start it and check for codes...

Rico750
12-20-2007, 09:44 PM
did you ever got it fixed ?

dualaudi
12-21-2007, 01:55 PM
He ordered a new CPS ( camshaft position sensor ) it seems as thought it might of been damaged in the removal of the radiator... I'll definitely post the solution if it's ever figured out. Right now the car is sitting at work until it can get started again.

Strange no CEL came on during this whole process.

pfa65
12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm not saying it isn't the cps, but if that went it should have thrown a code. and if in fact the cps went, timing could possibly be off. So maybe have someone try to crank the motor over and have another person watch to see if the timing belt is moving. That will atleast give you more direction. Though a bad timing belt would throw a code...

There is one cps on the passenger side cylinder bank (i think that's bank 1) and its pretty protected underneath the timing belt cover. It seems funny that its damaged... unless it's the wiring going IN to the cps. sorry if this is confusing. good luck.

dualaudi
12-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it's the wiring that hinted at the CPS. Correct me if i'm wrong, but with audi's a bug splattering onto the windshield should give a CEL right?

solowb5
12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
It is pretty uncommon for that to happen considering the sensor is a magnet. The only thing I could think of is that you toasted the battery bc it isn't going to last long with the person driving it without an alternator working.

dualaudi
03-04-2008, 02:22 AM
update long overdue (he got this fixed 3 weeks ago) turns out his timing belt was off so much that he couldn't get it started... (doesn't seem like he bent valves) so all is working again...