PDA

View Full Version : won't start - please help...

sandnessmj
12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Okay, so this morning around 10am, I hop in the car, it starts, but idles funny. I give it some gas, and it revs, but continues to lope and idle a little high at the same time. I turn it off, and try to start it back up again, nothing. It cranks over and over, but won't start. Any ideas?

For background, I live in CT, and it was pretty cold last night, but I haven't had any starting issues in the past. I have about 1/3 tank of gas. Last time I started the car was 10 hours prior, and it started fine.

So what should I do?

str8kustom
12-18-2007, 10:03 AM
You might have a boost leak... so if you can pressure test your car it might help... because if you have a boost leak your car wont start.. make sure all your vacuum lines are connected.

sandnessmj
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure it's not a boost leak...when it first started, it was showing ~18-20 lbs vacuum, which it usually does while at idle...normally 20, but it idled high, so that dropped it a bit to 18ish.

urban96
12-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Icm?

sandnessmj
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Icm?

Possibly, how can I troubleshoot?

Black_97 A4
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
maybe its a fuel pump, not getting enough fuel...

urban96
12-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Possibly, how can I troubleshoot?
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1594531.phtml

mine had two that were bad and wouldnt allow it to start

ILoveT
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
maybe its a fuel pump, not getting enough fuel...
What!? Lets just throw random shit out there...

+1 for the ICM. They are goofy.

iwearpro
12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Get in the car,push the gas all the way to the floor while cranking and dont lift untill the car starts to start(if it does)..Dont dog me untill its tried.[wrench]

sandnessmj
12-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Get in the car,push the gas all the way to the floor while cranking and dont lift untill the car starts to start(if it does)..Dont dog me untill its tried.[wrench]

Yeah, no go on that one, so I guess that rules out the coolant temp sensor? It sputtered a few times this morning and sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. The CEL was flashing while it was cranking...

I'm going to go ahead and pick up an ICM from ECS...is there any merit to paying 3x as much for a Bosch unit?

turboquattro068
12-19-2007, 08:44 AM
no I used the cheaper one, worked fine, also could be your MAF

audiness
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
probably not ICM Or MAF.

Most likely ignition switch, fuel pump

kwan
12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Pretty simple way to check fuel pump if you don't have a meter is to just unhook the feed line to the rail. Then have someone hop in and go at it. Little to no flow = pump.

AudiSportB5S4
12-20-2007, 07:12 AM
where in CT are you ? lmk, i have VAG im down in greenwich, well. i dont know if that would even help since my car is just CHILLLLLLLLING because my turbos blew. another week i ll be upppp and running again!... but lmk.

sandnessmj
12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
So it's at a shop now. Just talked to the mechanic and he said "consensus of opinion here is that the timing belt is broke, but we won't know until tomorrow when we open it up"....

How the hell hard is it to see if the timing belt broke? I already popped the hood and messed around with a few things...I think I would have noticed a broken belt. And would it even cough and sputter at all if the timing belt was broken? I'm guessing they didn't spend more than 5 minutes looking at it this afternoon, or they would have been able to do the same thing.

For the record, the shop is decent. They've done work for me before and have never tried to rip me off....just got me wondering when I got off the phone...

Lastly, if the timing belt DID break, I'm glad it happened when I tried to start it, not while I was cruising at 80mph down the highway.

urban96
12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
the upper plastic timing cover is pretty easy to remove, just a few snap clips and you can see where the timing belt goes over the cams

sandnessmj
12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
yeah, didn't think to check that...guess I was hoping it was something else

I swear to god I think I'm going to go back to the cheap a** cars I used to drive. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Audi, but the headaches haven't been worth it.