PDA

View Full Version : Who's got remote start?

racer187
12-15-2007, 08:24 AM
How much am I looking to spend?
Where did you get it done?
This is a gift idea and yes the car is Tip.
Thanks

biketsai
12-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I think its possible with like a Viper Alarm system or something.
You can probably have it installed at a local audio place or something.

akielb
12-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Call around to local shops - lost of different variables with price. I paid $350 for mine with 2-way LCD, but my wife's 2005 Nissan Sentra cost more $$ for a 2-way without LCD because hers required special wiring due to security with the key.
Definitely get one with the the 2-way talk back feature. I have the window at work, and I can't tell you how many people come over to my desk every noon and just before work is over to start their car from my window. They don't know if their car even started unless they visually see it. I just push the button and a couple seconds later the remote beeps that the car started(or on occasion gave a different beep saying it hadn't).

thebikedoctor33
12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
i put one in my mom's car last year. i think it was only like 130 and i did it myself. it was a pita, but i got it done. if you have simple knowledge of electrical systems you can handle it. and she never has a problem knowing if its on or not even with the cheap system. 1. the lights blink when it has started 2. you can see the hot exhaust on cold winter days when you use it.

Speckto
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey i think i paid around 300 for mine but my only complaint is that for me the car has to be unlocked... and since our keys have about a 5 foot antenna range it really sucks. Plus if i dont remember it is locked and i go to use my remote start the alarm goes off and i can only turn it off with the audi key meaning i have to go close to it.... but its still a pretty good investment

biketsai
12-15-2007, 12:59 PM
can i DIY?

oface
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I have one on my MT. The auto start unlocks the car then starts it. It's a two way which is a must, the dumb thing is that it doesn't lock it back up but I just hit the lock button right after I get the signal back that it successfully started. I think I paid 500 for mine including install.

As for the range, it uses a separate signal other than the crappy one that our keyfobs(sp) use.. my model has about a 1/4 mile range with no trees or buildings in the way.

thebikedoctor33
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
you can probably do it yourself. i was able to. idk how hard audi's are. i did a jeep so i'm guessing the security system was more simple on that so it might have been easier....

SoFresh
12-15-2007, 06:00 PM
When I had my A4, I had the Viper alarm on it with remote start on a manual, I bought it at Best Buy and it came with free installation included in the price of the unit itself... I spent I think like $400 after everything... However they would not install the remote start on my car since its a manual, so I had a friend install it for a couple beers, took him about 30 minutes.

After all that said and done, I never really used the remote start, lol.

audisnapr
12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I had mine done a few years back right after someone tried to steal the car (but failed). I paid a guy who worked at an audio/alarm shop to do it on the side. He did it for $125 out of his garage while I waited; one of the best things I've done to my car. I bought the alarm system from a fellow AZ'r back in the day.

I have the two-way remote which tells me which zone of the car has been tampered with and whether or not it has been started indicated by a little smoke plume out of the back of the car icon on the screen.

For those you have a manual, just make sure you leave the car in neutral or have a safety relay of sorts. my wife left the car in 1st one night when she left the car for me. I started it as I was walking to the car and saw it roll'n down the street (true phantom style)

SoFresh
12-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I had mine done a few years back right after someone tried to steal the car (but failed). I paid a guy who worked at an audio/alarm shop to do it on the side. He did it for $125 out of his garage while I waited; one of the best things I've done to my car. I bought the alarm system from a fellow AZ'r back in the day.

I have the two-way remote which tells me which zone of the car has been tampered with and whether or not it has been started indicated by a little smoke plume out of the back of the car icon on the screen.

For those you have a manual, just make sure you leave the car in neutral or have a safety relay of sorts. my wife left the car in 1st one night when she left the car for me. I started it as I was walking to the car and saw it roll'n down the street (true phantom style)

hahaha, LMAO, nothing like having to chase down our car on foot, lol

audisnapr
12-15-2007, 06:11 PM
haha, it is kind of funny now that I think back on it. got some nasty curb rash on the RS4 reps I used to run, but fortunately I saw it and shut it off with the remote and it stopped in its tracks.

biketsai
12-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Im looking to do the cheapest thing possible to get a remote starter, is there anything that doesnt require a fancy remote and all?

jrock
12-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Is it true that you have to disengage the cluth start to be able to do a remote start on a manual? Sorry to thread jack but this is also on my list of things to do. Has anyone had expereince doing it before on their manual transmission and how hard was it?

oface
12-16-2007, 11:05 AM
You get what you pay for with those cheap autostart kits, so if you're going to get one, I'd get a model that you know has good range, two way, and a decent remote. If it's below 50 bucks I wouldn't even look twice.

To activate mine to prevent my car running into buildings (or driving down the street[confused]) I have to have my car running, car in neutral, e-brake engaged. press the start button on the remote, turn the key to the off position to find it still running, then when you get out and shut the door, the car will shut off and you can then start your car using the remote.
But if you re-open the door. you have to repeat all those steps all over again.

thebikedoctor33
12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Im looking to do the cheapest thing possible to get a remote starter, is there anything that doesnt require a fancy remote and all?

wait you want a remote starter without a remote? how do you expect to start it? like one of those clap lights???!?? that would be sweet.