PDA

View Full Version : my a4 sucks

yangtech
12-14-2007, 08:37 AM
This is probably going to be my first and last time buying an audi. it's a 99 2.8 auto. I did not have a very good experience with it at all. first my right rear spring snap in half and i fixed that. Then my radiator started to leak and than was fixed. now my acc. belt tensioner just broke on me last night, i'll be fixing that as well.

the wife doesn't want to drive the car anymore so we'll be trading it in for a toyota in a month or so.

audipotential
12-14-2007, 08:41 AM
This is probably going to be my first and last time buying an audi. it's a 99 2.8 auto. I did not have a very good experience with it at all. first my right rear spring snap in half and i fixed that. Then my radiator started to leak and than was fixed. now my acc. belt tensioner just broke on me last night, i'll be fixing that as well.

the wife doesn't want to drive the car anymore so we'll be trading it in for a toyota in a month or so.

Dude the car is 8 years old...

fikes
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
8 years old, second that, and its a audi. When you decided to buy one you should have been willing to buy replacement parts for it because its GOING TO break.

jinx
12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Any car has issues, especially an older car. You have to expect issues. Perhaps some preventative maintenance would be in order.

iwearpro
12-14-2007, 09:01 AM
find me a car you dont need to maintain and ill buy 4 of them...lol

toaster
12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
wow, poor excuse not to like audis.

go take a brand new s4 or an s5 for a test drive and hate audis.

hell, come over to my place and drive my 5 year old B6 A4 with USP body kit and tell me you don't like audis. sure my car has problems that cost money to fix, but damn does it look/drive like a dream. Actually, recently it's been rock solid reliable.

have fun in your toyota...nice car with possibly better reliability brand new, but they ain't audis.

also, if you buy an 8 year old toyota, all the problems you have in the audi will be present in the toyota, except you'll be driving a boring looking, boring driving car.

it takes a bit more money to own an audi, especially a used one, so don't complain about that.

do i love audis, hell yeah.

jinx
12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
find me a car you dont need to maintain and ill buy 4 of them...lol

Me too and I'll put my entire savings into there stock!!

AudiA4_20T
12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
its because you got a 2.8 auto duh

Speedymon
12-14-2007, 09:25 AM
I second, third, fourth and fifth all above. An 8 year old Audi and you're complaining? And i think that car has been to hell and back because springs DO NOT just "snap". WTF.

Kunundrum
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
yeah I love mine too
99.5 1.8TQM with 275 000Km on it

I have put in it so far
Clutch -- maintenance (2006) SB OFE
Complete T-belt, W-Pump, Tensioner ect - Maintenance (2006) ECS Ultimate Kit
ICM -- Broke (2006) -- VW Passat 1.8t Unit
Fuel Sending unit -- Broke (Jan 2007) -- ECS Unit
3x Tie Rods -- bad (Sept 2007) - 2x from Control arm kit, 1x free from my mechanic
Coolant hose, Flange - Leaking (Nov 2007) -- From ECS
DV -- Bad (Dec 2007) -- 710N From Dealership
N75 Valve -- Bad (Dec 2007) -- N75J From Dealership
Catalytic Converter -- Partially plugged (Dec 2007) -- new after market unit

this does not include Mods that I put in it just for the hell of it (Chip, Head Unit, Tint, Rims...)

so cry me a flipping river.

yangtech
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
the audi has everything done to it. tb and water pump replace, new trans filter and fluid, oil change every 3k mile, fresh coolant every year before winter, valve cover gaskets all replaced, all brand new tires, fuel filter replaced, cabin filter replaced, ects.

i have older cars that has been better to me plus being a 1999 isn't all that old, i have older cars like my 96 lexus es300 and it has yet to give me any trouble at 135k miles... even my 1991 eclipse gsx has yet to give me trouble.

ILoveT
12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
If I ever own an Audi again I will never own it out of warranty. There are cars out there that last WAY longer for way less money that require way less maintenance. I have 140K on mine and it gives me problems everyday. I can't keep up with it.

JumboBlack1.8
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Sucks man....sounds like you just got unlucky in ur selection....buying any used car is always a risk, so maybe ur previous owner is to blame...But don't hate Audi's just yet, ur prob just a lil frustrated at all the money you've gotta spend on it, as i'm sure we ALL are whenever we get hit with that repair bug....Ur not alone in ur frustration, man. But, despite all the problems i'm SURE my car will have...right now, I wouldn't wanna drive anything else.

iwearpro
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
I tell you what,im not that far,ill bring a trailer and take that P.O.S. off of your hands..$100 bucks for a worthless car dont sound bad does it?

ILoveT
12-14-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm sure if he only spent $100 on that car he would give it to you. Dumbass

Militant-Grunt
12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Quit complaining, I bought my car knowing of all the potential problems. I feel just better off than anyone in a comparable same age car ( Japanese or American or Korean ). My car has soul, its fun as hell to drive, aftermarket is massive, and my car stylistically has not aged, can't ask for anything better really. Slightly unreliable it is, but its worth it for what you get as a whole package.

Solaris
12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
huh, I have almost 201k miles on my A4 and it has been incredibly reliable. Some small issues along the way, but nothing more than what I had expected with German car ownership. I've only ever been stranded twice and both times by my own mistakes. Seemed like after stupid issues were fixed early on (before 100k) and the parts were improved, it has just gotten better with age.

.Mad Hatter.
12-14-2007, 10:10 AM
i didnt read all the posts as i assume theyre exactly like what im going to say.

i fail to see what any of those issues have to do with it being an audi. i mean, its not like 'snapping springs' are a big issues with all other audi owners, lol. you bought a crap car, the previous owner didnt take care of it...audi or not.

mcjim
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
How can you even compare an audi to a toyota. While the toyota maybe more reliable, go drive an 8 year old camry and then compare it to your a4. Your audi will handle better, look better, is safer, stops quicker, i could keep going for days its not even worth it. [down] to u

ILoveT
12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
No one was comparing a Toyota to an Audi. They are trading the Audi in for a Toyota. Where was the comparison?

.Mad Hatter.
12-14-2007, 10:27 AM
How can you even compare an audi to a toyota. While the toyota maybe more reliable, go drive an 8 year old camry and then compare it to your a4. Your audi will handle better, look better, is safer, stops quicker, i could keep going for days its not even worth it. [down] to u

im pretty sure thats irrelivant.

you know, there ARE other nice cars out there besides 8 year old audis.....

iwearpro
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm sure if he only spent $100 on that car he would give it to you. Dumbass

uhhhh?

GQ//S4
12-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Guys, his spring fucking SNAPPED IN HALF!!! I had a '92 Civic Si when I was younger, and that NEVER happened. I have FORDS that never had that happen. If I were him, I would be pissed as fuck too.

The radiator problem I would just write off as "maintanance" since Bmw's and such have the same problem, no big deal. The acc tensioner also is just "maintanance" written off to age and worn parts, but a spring, thats just screwy.

Hell, I bought my car with EVERY piece of maintanance short of new turbo's being done, and within the week my MAF and 2 o2 sensors went out. Just bad luck.

Nobody is ever going to say the A4 is as reliable as a Lexus, because its just not. Its not as reliable as an Acura either. Dollar for dollar, go drive a 2nd Gen TL ('99-'03) and see what you think compared to your a4. It will have more pep, but its not as satisfying to drive... I know, I owned one before the S4, and while I miss it sometimes (whenever my car breaks basically), give me a few curvy roads and I fall in love with the Audi all over again.

ILoveT
12-14-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm looking for a Christmas sweater that lights up. I can't find one anywhere. If anyone has one that they don't want or that you want to steal from your dad or grandpapy I would be really happy! THANKS!

Shortness
12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
as a used car salesperson i think im qualified to say they are machines, and sometimes they break. that does not make them junk. audis are not for everyone, and if you think a toyota is a better choice for you then thats your call. after all, they are great cars despite how boring they are.

also i dont really get why you came onto this board to say this. your opinion is valad and all, but its not like your going to convince a whole lot of people on an audi enthusiast forum not to buy an audi

Est1976
12-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I've had mine since 2002 and it's a 1998 and i've probably spent no more than $2500 on major repairs. $500/yr, not bad in my book. Some A4's tend to rack up repair bills but there are a lot that don't!

maxspeed
12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Me too and I'll put my entire savings into there stock!!
thats retarted, cause once everybody had them, nobody would buy them anymore...

maxspeed
12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Hell, I bought my car with EVERY piece of maintanance short of new turbo's being done, and within the week my MAF and 2 o2 sensors went out. Just bad luck.

didnt you buy it under the assumption it had newer upgraded turbos too? hahaha

mravantit
12-14-2007, 03:37 PM
No shit, you buy a used car and stuff breaks. Go pick yourself up a cheap looking toyota to make yourself feel better. I'm getting annoyed with people making posts, "my car sucks", "i have my audi", "not again..."

Deal with it! If you don't have money to maintain a nice car don't buy one in the first place.

Sorry for the rant.

maxspeed
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
No shit, you buy a used car and stuff breaks. Go pick yourself up a cheap looking toyota to make yourself feel better. I'm getting annoyed with people making posts, "my car sucks", "i have my audi", "not again..."

Deal with it! If you don't have money to maintain a nice car don't buy one in the first place.

Sorry for the rant.

quote for truth..

audib5a4
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
well if you hate audis so much sell it and get on to a jdm honda forum or w.e .
And it not always the car its the driver in most cases.
I own my audi my father has had them in the past and i have had no repairs needed other then maitnance issues and control arms(upper).
My uncle had a audi 90 Running into 200k happily.
Buy a toyota but realize maybe you go dicked with who ever sold you the audi, you didnt properly take car of the car(since 2 out of 3 were just maitnance issues). Or german cars arent meant for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide to get into next.

i love my audi and will continue to do so.

TMorris
12-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I quit reading this after i hit the OPs second post.

Shut the fuck up and go buy your yaris and enjoy it. Better yet get a prius and love yourself for saving the environment and let us enjoy our audis...

audib5a4
12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
X2

bigphil
12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I stopped reading after "2.8" and "automatic"

hahahaha

audib5a4
12-15-2007, 10:03 PM
no need to hate on 2.8 lol/

Stampy
12-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I have owned 2 VW 1.8T's, A6 2.7T, A6 4.2, and my current B5 Audi.

Needless to say.... I will ALWAYS have an AUDI in my garage. I will also ALWAYS have my 1994 Toyota Camry parked outside to drive me to the AUDI dealer for parts when it breaks.

ILoveT
12-16-2007, 12:26 AM
I have owned 2 VW 1.8T's, A6 2.7T, A6 4.2, and my current B5 Audi.

Needless to say.... I will ALWAYS have an AUDI in my garage. I will also ALWAYS have my 1994 Toyota Camry parked outside to drive me to the AUDI dealer for parts when it breaks.

Nicely done.

A4Sam2.8
12-16-2007, 07:18 AM
A4 2.8 12v 165xxx miles... bought it off a guy CHEAP, had been sitting in his yard covered in mildue for 2 yrs, flat tires, locked up brakes.. the whole nine yards, almost a year and barely $500 later, its running great, has been. Its my daily driver, comfortable, classy, SAFE, sexy, and fun to drive.. Not to mention it will literally do circles (on purpose) around a FWD toyota in any inclemment weather!