PDA

View Full Version : creeking noise

legionvr6
12-14-2007, 12:38 AM
ok so i've had my car for a month and ever since the temp has droping bellow 50 i've been noticing creeking noises when going slow over minorly rough surfeses like parking lot pavment and exit ramps. i only hear it when going under say 40-50. im thinking its my strut mounts but i want your input.

car info 99.5 1.8t 95k on it. sports package suspention.

the suspention is still nice and firm so i dont think the struts or springs have gone bad.

[wrench][drive][race] LOL fix it test it race it

Kunundrum
12-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Ball joints more than likely, just lube them up and you should be good.

this happened to me last winter, I lubed them up and it was gone.

pfa65
12-14-2007, 07:17 AM
or possibly your your non-structural firewall? maybe a strut bar would help.

legionvr6
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
balljoints? i should know this but its early lol. if thats the cv one with the boot that brakes i just replaced both of them

legionvr6
12-15-2007, 01:12 PM
bump im geting anoyed with this. my axels are new so its no the joints, and its the worst when its REALY cold and i live in the valley in the LA area so that means it hits mid to low 40F. and on ocation it will hit freezing

biketsai
12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I remember reading something a couple threads ago about the suspension making creaking noises when it gets cold.
Mine does it too, so I wouldnt worry

onemoremile
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
The ball joints are at the end of each of the control arms. There are 4 of these arms on each front wheel. It could also be a bad tie rod end but those only creak when turning and the sound seems to come from the steering wheel itself. If it sounds like it is coming from a wheel area then get the hypodermic needle style grease injector and shoot them up. After injecting, wipe the site clean and put a dot of superglue over the hole.

therox182
01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
i've been having the same problem. but its been around 20 degrees here. have many other people had this only during the winter?

A4Rollin
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
The ball joints are at the end of each of the control arms. There are 4 of these arms on each front wheel. It could also be a bad tie rod end but those only creak when turning and the sound seems to come from the steering wheel itself. If it sounds like it is coming from a wheel area then get the hypodermic needle style grease injector and shoot them up. After injecting, wipe the site clean and put a dot of superglue over the hole.
agreed[up][up][up]

legionvr6
01-22-2008, 01:22 AM
well my cars headed to the mech friday and he told me by the sould that i explained it probably just my top control arms so their all geting replaced lol bloody epencive work on theis car but worth it to get her all buttoned up befor i start realy fixing her up

generik777
01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Mine make the same noise in the winter.

Ewok_Fetus
01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I know the TT's have a problem with the sway bar squeeking when cold... But on my other A4, it turned out to be the tie rods...

MikeWasHere05
01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
If you're bringing it to the mechanic, have them do lower control arms and everything else while they are in there. You don't want to pay six hours of labor just to have to do it all over again.