PDA

View Full Version : Installing a grease fitting on CAs

MikeWasHere05
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
My friend and I were wondering, with all the squeaking problems that the stock control arms have why hasn't anybody ever tried to install a grease fitting on the arms and just oiling them every two or three oil changes? Is there something that we're missing?

Burntaudi
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
My friend and I were wondering, with all the squeaking problems that the stock control arms have why hasn't anybody ever tried to install a grease fitting on the arms and just oiling them every two or three oil changes? Is there something that we're missing?

It's been done. I installed a couple on mine. But they were already squeaking and now they no longer squeak...but they clunk and need to be replaced.

The only right way to do it would be to drill and tap them before installing them.

I gave up and used a needle to pierce the boots and squeeze some grease in there.

There used to be a guy on Audiworld that sold new control arms modified with grease zerks installed already.

ModifiedA4
12-19-2007, 01:31 PM
like burnt said, someone on AW had done this.

personally the idea of drilling into a joint doesnt seem the best idea.
-metal chips will get into the joint.
-potentially creating a failure point in my suspension components is not something i want to think about going around a sharp turn at speed.

im at over 100K on my original control arms. I greased them through the boots at 50K and again at 100K. I used redline CV2 grease, which wont cause rubber/plastic to swell. Seal the puncture hole with RTV, and you're good to go.