PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pressure Testing

audiFUEGO
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Well i searched but couldnt find anything specific to this... I want to know if theres any way to pressure test the hoses after the throttle body?

I made a thingy that fits onto my U-bend and pressurizes everything after the cone filter. But i dont think its getting past the TB. And i really need to test all those little black hoses.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks for any comments.

ct1.8t4me
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Did you try to rig the throttle body open somehow? Not sure how DBW cars are, but with DBC there is a very clear mechanism that can be used to open it by hand.

audiFUEGO
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
im pretty sure mine is electric... does anyone who has a DBW know?

Also... im not sure if the pressure is even making thru my turbo... is there anything i have to do besides remove the pancake valve?

audiFUEGO
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Anyone know if the throttle will open in a DBW if I just get in the car, turn the ignition on, and hold the throttle pedal? Or will that make the injectors go off?

Also... would the pressure just leak out the exhaust manifold if i test after the throttle?

onemoremile
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Unless the engine is at TDC it will leak through the open valves.

mike-2ptzero
12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
It is going to leak thru the TB no matter what because the TB isn't fully sealed even when it is closed. If you are using a air compressor it will keep the pressure at what you set the regulator at so you can hear any leaks even those that are after the TB.

If you are doing it where the maf is the pressure is going to go thru your turbo to reach your throttle body, it isn't like the blades inside the turbo are perfectly sealed to the compressor housing.

audiFUEGO
12-12-2007, 03:35 PM
good info... What is TDC?

What is the best way to do this if im doing it with a bike pump? or an air compressor without a regulator?

Well my compressor has a reg but its only set to refill the tank after the pressure gets low for the whole shop.

mike-2ptzero
12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
good info... What is TDC?

What is the best way to do this if im doing it with a bike pump? or an air compressor without a regulator?

Well my compressor has a reg but its only set to refill the tank after the pressure gets low for the whole shop.

You need a regulator on the air hose that you are using, other wise you are going to be using way too much pressure and will blow out everything on your motor including the rings. You only need to use about 10-15psi.

TDC = Top Dead Center. Basicly so that all the intake valves are closed so that the pressure being used for the test isn't allowed into any of the cylinders.

audiFUEGO
12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
How do i set my engine to TDC? Is it an involved process?

I have a regulator on the piece that I'm using, but its not automatic. Its basically an attachment you would find at a tire shop to fill tires. It has a gauge and allows you to set the pressure. I actually didnt even make it over 10 psi the first time i tested...well, i might need a better gauge. [rolleyes]