PDA

View Full Version : Tdc

trailboss
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
When realining for TDC do you position the crank with the number 1 cyl TDC and have the cam sproket aligned with the marks. My car stripped a few teeth on the timing belt and is no longer in timing because of a faulty tensioner. Im gonna inspect the valves just to make sure but if anyone knows for sure how to allign TDC post up. Thanks, Dave.

trailboss
12-11-2007, 03:10 PM
bump

trailboss
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
anyone??? Mike im sure you know

pinky
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
there should be a mark on the crank pulley and the timing belt cover that should line up. and the marks on the cam gear should line up also.

njm23
12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Not sure what exactly you are looking for.. but I know to get TDC there is a little bit of extensive work involved. First you will need a degree wheel ect.. But I am not sure what you need so I won't get into that since it is probably the complete wrong thing I am talking about. [wrench] Do you know where TDC is? or is that what you are trying to find? Because if you need to find TDC THEN I can help you.

mtroxel
12-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Don't know which engine you have, but if you need to do a new timing belt and re-time that whole engine, I would suggest you rent the tools. One tool goes into the flywheel and locks the crankshaft at tdc....exactly at TDC, the other tool goes across the cams (I used it on my V6 last summer when I did the job) and locks them exactly at TDC. Then you tension the belt while the cam sprockets are loose.

Blau rents the tools if you buy the parts from them (http://http://www.blauparts.com/products.asp?cat=579). It's a great deal.

Don Supreme
12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
blah...

The crank pulley has a timing mark that lines up with the LOWER TIMING COVER...

Then the CAM pulley has a timing mark that lines up with the VALVE COVER....

good luck.

pinky
12-12-2007, 07:47 AM
i always just line it up with the timing cover and crank pulley on. then pull the pulley and cover off and mark the crank timing sprocket with a paint pen. then line up the cam sprocket (it should be lined up, or at least close)

put the timing belt on and check to see that marks line up. then turn the crank 2 rotations (one cam rotation) and check again.

trailboss
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
thanks ill have to check it out this weekend when i go back to MD.