PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Moves?

BONFIRE074
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I noticed when im in gear and im driving around 40mph, if i get on the gas, then off, the shifter will move by itself front and back..just wondering what causes this and how to fix? thanks

Kronic Budz
12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Mine does the same thing, its nothing serious but its funny to see the shifter move back and forth with a half inch of play or so when its sitting in gear.

Like usually on the freeway cruising in 4th or 5th and ill let off a little then give it gas again, it will do it. My shifter has a good amount of play in any position in the gearbox. As long as it dont mess with my shifts or move out of gear im happy.

Maybe just needs to be tightened up a bit?

BONFIRE074
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah minde does the same, goes in and out of gear fine, but does have the play, is it normal or does something need to be replaced?

winston@podi.ca
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds like the bolts holding the shifter assembly are loose and the pushrod attached to the engine is moving the shifter back and forth when the engine moves.

Might want to check your motor mounts too if your engine is moving that much.

.Mad Hatter.
12-10-2007, 02:13 PM
ya, half inch is alot of play...take off your shifter surround and make sure everything is tight. the ball wears out too, might be worth it to pick up an ebay ss(installed mine today)...its not much more expensive than the repair kit

LowA4
12-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Mine had a lot of play till I replaced my tranny mounts, now it's gone.

mike-2ptzero
12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I noticed when im in gear and im driving around 40mph, if i get on the gas, then off, the shifter will move by itself front and back..just wondering what causes this and how to fix? thanks

This is normal because the engine and trans move when you get on/off the throttle. If you want to decrease the movement of the shifter when you get on/off the throttle you want to go with stiffer engine/tranny mounts that will decrease the movement of those parts. The mounts you want are the density mounts from 034 for the engine/trans and/or a driverside Stern tranny mount if you have a 1.8t. If you need these parts I can get them for you.

Now if your shifter box has movement while you are shifting gears even with the engine off then your shifter stabilzer bushings are most likely worn, you can fix this by installing the upgrade bushings from JHM. I can also get these parts for you or you can order them directly from their web site.

DTH is now a dealer for all 3 of these shops which is why I can get you any of the parts up above.

Nebone
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I have play in my shifter too. This play is towards front and back of the car only. I looked under the car and as the slop occurs, I can see the shaft coming in and out of the transmission as the shifter is moved. This means the stabilizer bushings are fine. I get no leaks from that shaft but it does have slop. i have seen this slop on many audis and I have a metal ball shoft shifter from UUC Motorwerks.

Revolution02
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I also had this issue then I got a JHM Solid short shifter with the bushings and it greatly reduced the amount of play. I still get some play but it is minimal.

anonymous6915
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
buy urselves an ebay ss....i used to have the same play...as soon as i installed the ss it was gone...best $40 iv spent on her...

mike-2ptzero
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I have play in my shifter too. This play is towards front and back of the car only. I looked under the car and as the slop occurs, I can see the shaft coming in and out of the transmission as the shifter is moved. This means the stabilizer bushings are fine. I get no leaks from that shaft but it does have slop. i have seen this slop on many audis and I have a metal ball shoft shifter from UUC Motorwerks.

The shaft that slides in/out of the trans should have some play since what you see is the linkage slider play. If it didn't move around that easy you would feel a really bad notchy feel when shifting from 1 gear to the next. The stabizer bushings control how much movement the actual shifter base(the part where the shifter ball mounts into) has when you shift from gear to gear. A loose shifter box means that you will have a sloppy feeling shifter when actually shifting, the JHM bushing upgrade helps make the shift feel more crisp.

Yaktizzle417
12-10-2007, 06:33 PM
So if I have an SS, and it feels super sloppy and loose, I just need new bushings?

How much are they?

mike-2ptzero
12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
So if I have an SS, and it feels super sloppy and loose, I just need new bushings?

How much are they?

You might want to pull the plate/boot off and see if how much the shifter base is moving when you shift gears before buying the bushings.

Which SS do you have, because most of the shifters on the market just use the stock plastic for the shifter to snap into and this can also make the shifter feel sloppy. The JHM shifter seems to be the only one that comes with a replacement for that plastic part.

CaSp3r9
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Can anyone post a link to the eBay short shifter you bought? Thanks [:)]

Devious27t
12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
This is normal because the engine and trans move when you get on/off the throttle. If you want to decrease the movement of the shifter when you get on/off the throttle you want to go with stiffer engine/tranny mounts that will decrease the movement of those parts. The mounts you want are the density mounts from 034 for the engine/trans and/or a driverside Stern tranny mount if you have a 1.8t. If you need these parts I can get them for you.

Now if your shifter box has movement while you are shifting gears even with the engine off then your shifter stabilzer bushings are most likely worn, you can fix this by installing the upgrade bushings from JHM. I can also get these parts for you or you can order them directly from their web site.

DTH is now a dealer for all 3 of these shops which is why I can get you any of the parts up above.

2nd that I just installed the stern DS tranny mount on sunday and it completely eliminated that slop that you guys are talking about. I have that in conjunction with RS4 engine mounts and there is no movement at all (there was with stock trans mount and RS4s).