PDA

View Full Version : This may be a dumb question, but would a bad alternator cause my headlights to act...

SFexBOY
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
weird??

Just wanted to know if there was a clear relationship between the two. My battery voltage meter has been jumping around lately....

b5a4lover
11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
yup, thats why people's headlights dim every time their bass hits if they dont have a capacitor with a loud ass sound system. sounds like your alternator is on its way out

SFexBOY
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
yup, thats why people's headlights dim every time their bass hits if they dont have a capacitor with a loud ass sound system. sounds like your alternator is on its way out

well my headlights don't necessarily dim, but i've been having issues w/ my headlight dash warning coming on intermitently. I've already followed procedures to try to alleviate what I thought was the problem (by installing resistors), but it still comes up. My battery voltage has been dipping below 12V, and I have a replacement alternator I was going to install. Just thought maybe there was a correlation between the two.

jm121189
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Sounds like thats a very good place to start if your battery voltage is going below 12v. I first thought it could be the connector in the headlight housing since I was having problems with that but a little tape fixed that. If you have 135k I'd assume the alternator is stock and willing to bet it's that.

onemoremile
11-29-2007, 11:33 PM
weird??
My battery voltage meter has been jumping around lately....

You're lucky only your headlights are acting weird. There is potential for real chaos. The Optima 34R red top is the shizzle fo sho.