PDA

View Full Version : Since I'm in the market for clutch kits

bOOOOstedAudi
08-10-2004, 02:03 AM
what would you guys go with. I'm not really about joining the bandwagon but I want what works. I drive pretty hard sometimes too.

risc427
08-10-2004, 05:15 AM
I just bought a SPEC Stg. II and it's going in this weekend. Needless to say I can't comment on it's performance yet. A friend of mine has the Stg III with the LWFW and it holds extremely well. However, we have come to the conclusion that his flywheel is too light. If you go with a LWFW I'd stay away from SPEC's.

I've heard good things about the southbend kits as well.

skene
08-10-2004, 06:33 AM
how exactly could a lightweight flywheel be too light?
cmon now. that is just recoculous.

Burntaudi
08-10-2004, 06:34 AM
www.southbendclutch.com talk to Eddie he's their in house Audi guy.

Burntaudi
08-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by skene
how exactly could a lightweight flywheel be too light?
cmon now. that is just recoculous.

I've been told the same thing by Southbend if it's too light you may stall the car quite often. HE said 12 LBS is the lightest you wanna go on a 1.8T. If it's any lighter and you lift throttle quickly the lightweight flywheel wont have enough momemtum to keep the motor running.

nizmosx
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^agreed. fly wheels can be too light skene. its not recoculous.

HotSauce
08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
It can also hurt the driveability of the car. This is something I learned while riding dirtbikes. Flywheel weights, yes weights, are becoming more and more popular. Why? More tractable power. So if you go too light, the car can be erratic, and hard to drive normally. Also, the stalling problem. It makes the car very hard to launch, especially up-hill.

Personally, I wouldn't lighten my flywheel by much, if at all. Sure, it's a few extra ponies, but there are far more times that I'm driving normally, than I actually need the extra power.

Just my 2 cents.

Saturnine
08-10-2004, 11:04 AM
LWFW's are a waste if you ask me.

skene
08-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Yet the Spec FW is 12lbs.
it's not if I state that you should have a piece of paper for a flywheel.

but if you are not a regular driver where a vehicle is not a daily driver... then why should it matter with drivability? I wouldnt mind having a lwfw....

if you have a daily driver... then why would you be stupid enough to consider it?

there are pros and cons... when people wanted to purchase a lwfw from me.... I would always ask the type of driving that you do to begin with.
People tend to think that hey... everyone else is doing it so let me put it in my car... then they go under realization that daily drivability is sacrificed.
Low end torque is slightly sacrificed for quicker revs yes... but if you are looking for immediate response the only way to go is lwfw.

HotSauce
08-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Honestly, how many people on this site trailor their car to the races, and use their A4 solely for racing. The answer is very few. Now, how many people have light-weight flywheels. Quite a few. For more than there are people that trailor their car around.

One day of gridlock, would be enough for me to throw that lightweight flywheel out the window. Personally, I think it's a waste, and I think there's a huge misconception when it comes to them.

skene
08-10-2004, 11:23 AM
you dont have to trailer your car.... but for the everyday grocery getter.... its not worth a lwfw... thats all that is being stated.

pigliiit
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
what is the normal weight of the flywheel? does anyone make one that is halfway between the stock weight and the 12 lbs mentioned above?

skene
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
stock flywheel weight is roughly 23lbs dual mass flywheel

HotSauce
08-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by skene
you dont have to trailer your car.... but for the everyday grocery getter.... its not worth a lwfw... thats all that is being stated.

I agree with that. I'd say you have to race about as much as you drive normally for it to be worth it. Not something for me, but for others, it may be great!

risc427
08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I guess I should have stated that it is too light for daily driving.

mmart6545
08-10-2004, 06:36 PM
You guys are wrong. The spec lwfw is 10.2 lbs. I ran it for a while, but end up with problems with it.

I had the lwfw paired with the stage 2 clutch, and I was getting a horrible noise when engaging the clutch. The problem is because the stage 2 is a solid unsprung clutch, and the lwfw is solid al...thus nowhere for any vibration to go. The stage 1 clutch is unsprung. The stage 3 is sprung.

The weird part is that I've spoken with some stage 2 people who have sprung clutches, and some who have unsprung.

I ended up going back with the stock fly with the stage 2 clutch. Dont forget to resurface fly. Be careful though, the dual mass can be tricky for the unexperienced.

I can say that I dont mind doing 5k drops. It grabs and goessss.....

EVIL-AUDI
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I've been more than pleased with my Stage 3 clutch and Southbend Flywheel.

TheEZest
08-10-2004, 06:47 PM
as far as the clutch discussion goes...i agree with Burnt

Originally posted by Burntaudi
www.southbendclutch.com talk to Eddie he's their in house Audi guy.