PDA

View Full Version : metal clinking sound

4ringAR
11-16-2007, 12:35 PM
so i noticed that this morning there was a clinking sound in my car. it sounds like there are two pieces of metal hitting some other metal.

my friend and i were driving around a parking lot a minute ago to see what it was, and we determined that it clinks faster when you are driving faster, and that it doesnt do it in neutral. it does do it all gears 1 & 2(didnt try faster/hear it faster since it was a parking lot) and in reverse.

it is not inside, and it kind of sounds like the wheel of fortune noise

any ideas as to what it is?

thanks

Jared71482
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
is it when the wheels are turned? if so, its probably an outer CV joint.

4ringAR
11-16-2007, 02:07 PM
is it when the wheels are turned? if so, its probably an outer CV joint.

yes, it makes the noise when the wheels are turning. so if i am stopped, it will not make a noise. only when I am rolling. the intervals between clicks increases as i go faster.

but if it is making the noise in say, 1st gear, and i put it in neutral, the noise ceases.

are CV joints expensive to fix? i recall reading numerous threads about it, but I cant remember if they are expensive or not.
and is it bad to drive the car until i fix it??

burner799
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
how bad it is to drive the car depends on how bad the rip on the boot was. All the boot does is hold the grease inside the joint so if the grease didnt all get flung out its not too bad to drive on it a little. They are cheap to replace if you do it yourself though. Kits are like 40 bucks if i remember correctly. Just make sure you clean out the bearings well and pack all the new grease in there.

4ringAR
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
well i dont see any grease anywhere, so i dont imagine it is too bad.

so is it fairly certain that the rattle/clinking noise would be the CV?

jrock
11-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I got the same problem as you and it is the cv boot. I have been looking at replacing the whole thing which would cost probably a little over $200 but i'm not sure if i need to go to that extent yet. I might be able to get by with just getting the kit. If you find a place in denver that does it cheap let me know.

4ringAR
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I got the same problem as you and it is the cv boot. I have been looking at replacing the whole thing which would cost probably a little over $200 but i'm not sure if i need to go to that extent yet. I might be able to get by with just getting the kit. If you find a place in denver that does it cheap let me know.

haha, since you live in denver we can have a CV boot replacement party[:D][;)]

Kyle H
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
but if it is making the noise in say, 1st gear, and i put it in neutral, the noise ceases.

This makes me think it's not a CV joint. The joint should still make the noise regardless of the gear.

If your boot ripped, which would have to happen for your cv joint to go bad (AFAIK), you would have grease completely coating the inside of your wheel and all over the lower control arms right under the boot.

Normally a CV joint clicks at low speeds and turning will make it click more or louder. If you're going over ~15 mph there wont be any clicking.

If it is bad, just get a replacement OEM axle from purems for $130, or you can get a new cv joint kit for $130 and have to deal with the super messy grease (go with the axle for sure).

(I have a bad CV joint, btw) [wrench]

4ringAR
12-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I just thought I'd update this since I now know what the problem was.

So i took it in to the dealer and apparently the plastic belly pan was kind of broken so part of it was wrapped around the front axle(or something to that affect) which is why the noise increased with speed, not rpms. not really sure how that happened.

so thats the word. nice to know it wasnt anything too expensive.