PDA

View Full Version : Service Postion

CEL_STAYS_ON
11-15-2007, 04:00 AM
How do I put my 2.8 into the service position?

Jared71482
11-15-2007, 07:24 AM
umm, use a jack or drive it up on ramps???

Rather vague question...

Beemer832
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
i think he means unbolting the radiator support and swinging out over to the passenger side of the car.....

remove front bumper
remove headlights
loosen shock absorbing mounts from front of frame
loosen radiator support bolts from fender mount
drain and disconnect coolant lines
unplug the few electrical connectors..

that should get you through most of it
make sure you support the whole front of the car when you swing it out so you don't but any stress on the AC lines..

-josh

ILoveT
11-15-2007, 09:06 AM
umm, use a jack or drive it up on ramps???

Rather vague question...

Lol... WOW

CEL_STAYS_ON
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
i was told theres a way to put in in service position without removing the bumper. i need the room to replace my accesory belt and tensioner.

Beemer832
11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
umm if there is I have never heard of it. The 6or 7 bolts that will able the whole radiator support to move a few inches are where the bumper is bolted the frame of the car. i cant see any other way of getting free play. If the belts are torwards the bottom of the engine I don't think you have a choice but to remove the bumper. If the belts are on top, you can try to loosen the 2 torx bolts, on each side, but be careful not to break the radiator support.

honestly once you do it a few times, you can have the car in service position within 15 minutes..

josh

salz2135
11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
if you guys arent going to give accurate information you should not post a response.

the service carrier slides the rad and other ac stuff away from the vehicle so that the tech has room to work without removing or disconnecting an wires or lines.

get a bentley manual and it will show you exactly how. most people dont use this method because it requires special tools.

thebikedoctor33
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
youre going to want to put her on her knees, facing you, with her.... wait, nevermind......

Beemer832
11-15-2007, 02:10 PM
ahh yes you are right salz.. i forgot about that feature. honestly id just rather take the whole front of the car off. it makes fixing. changing, replacing whatever you are doing that much easier as you aren't fighting yourself trying to get arms and tools to fit...:)

do whatever you want, I know how I like to work..
josh

Scott by BOSTON
11-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Service position gives you about 5 " of hand clearance. Its enough for a T-belt job. Pictures at quattro123.com

http://www.quattro123.com/TimingBeltathon07.htm

http://www.quattro123.com/TimingBelt07/PictureSERVICEpos002sm.JPG

1.8T shown but front is similar enough.
HTH - Scott by BOSTON

Teabag
11-16-2007, 12:27 AM
youre going to want to put her on her knees, facing you, with her.... wait, nevermind......

ahahahah youre the man [up]

Bic-Ball
11-16-2007, 08:24 AM
i bought my tb kit from diesel geek and it came with two extra log bolts that fit in place of the old 6 and it let me slide the front back and forward. i took the whole front off but it still made it easier to line up

woofster
11-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Speaking of service position, has anyone outside of an Audi dealership done a full timing belt job/water pump job just in service position? I do mine with the whole front end off but I just may try it this way just to say I've done it.

Bic-Ball
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
it takes about 5 extra minutes to get the fornt off, those 5 minuates are made up by you having much better access to anything and letting you get the job a hundred times faster. just catch your coolant in a bucket and reuse it.