PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise from pass side rear

AudiSport12
11-13-2007, 10:22 AM
About a week ago I noticed a loud "airplane like" noise comming from the RR wheel area. It happened right after I hit 100+ mph on the highway and has been doing it ever since. The faster I go now, the louder it gets. I cannot figure out what the heck it is. Maybe a wheel/tire problem? Perhaps a wheel bearing? The noise wont go away and the car still drives fine. I'm going on a road trip this weekend, still OK to drive on?
Any ideas?

[confused][confused]

Kyle H
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
My guess is the wheel bearing. I remember reading about those making funky noises when they go out.

AudiSport12
11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Could be. I just dont understand why it would all of a sudden go bad once I hit 100mph like ive done many times before..

AudiSport12
11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
anyone have any idears?

a4speed
11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
its your wheel bearings, they go out, its a common problem for our cars.

SirDaft1
11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
at 100mph it could have simply pushed it beyond its limit if it was already on its way out. when you turn left or right does the sound get noticably louder or quieter?

AudiSport12
11-15-2007, 07:52 AM
i believe it stays the same loudness. i'll look for that next drive..

gsverz
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
it's weird that all i've read so far, everyone's right rear wheel bearing goes out...

AudiRacerS4
11-15-2007, 02:42 PM
it's weird that all i've read so far, everyone's right rear wheel bearing goes out...

i just replaced my left one [:D]

1 ate T
11-15-2007, 02:48 PM
i just replaced my left one [:D]

lmao I JUST did mine today. Holy hell is it a difference after driving on it for months [eek]. Get it done ASAP [/end procrastination]

Also, whichever way you turn and the sound doesn't dissipate, that's the one that's bad.

For the slow: Left = Loud? It's the right. Right = Loud? It's the left.

AudiRacerS4
11-15-2007, 02:51 PM
lmao I JUST did mine today. Holy hell is it a difference after driving on it for months [eek]. Get it done ASAP [/end procrastination]

haha i thought the same thing the car rides so much better i feel like im driving a whole new car

1 ate T
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous... I wish I had done it when it went bad. That would've prevented the useless comments, and observation when people got in my car. "Hey what the hell is that noise?" [headbang]

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM

my right one needs to be done this week [:D]

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
if the noise gets louder the faster you go, and if it feels like one of the doors or window is open then its the wheel bearing 99.%

AudiSport12
11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
haha

well i thinking it could have been a tire problem but i swapped the RR wheel with the RF and the noise is still the same. it doesnt matter which way i turn it is still the same as loud. i tightened down the wheel more so than it was before because i dont have a torque wrench and now the noise almost sounds louder. so i dont know? im taking it to a shop tomorrow and hopefully they can diagnose this better than i can.

Its not bad driving on a bad wheel bearing is it? it wont lock up or anything on me will it? ive got to drive it 4 hours home on next wed.

AudiSport12
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
if the noise gets louder the faster you go, and if it feels like one of the doors or window is open then its the wheel bearing 99.%

yeah it gets louder the faster i go.

although it was kind of loud when i just drove it because the LR window regulator just broke tonight and i had to prop the window up to keep it from falling down. are regulators expensive?? thank god this car is being sold next month.

[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
haha

well i thinking it could have been a tire problem but i swapped the RR wheel with the RF and the noise is still the same. it doesnt matter which way i turn it is still the same as loud. i tightened down the wheel more so than it was before because i dont have a torque wrench and now the noise almost sounds louder. so i dont know? im taking it to a shop tomorrow and hopefully they can diagnose this better than i can.

Its not bad driving on a bad wheel bearing is it? it wont lock up or anything on me will it? ive got to drive it 4 hours home on next wed.

you will have no brakes the lines are going to explode you gonna be speeding and u gonan shit ur pants and then u woke up and said : i need to change that wheel bearing" hahahaha

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:21 PM
yeah it gets louder the faster i go.

although it was kind of loud when i just drove it because the LR window regulator just broke tonight and i had to prop the window up to keep it from falling down. are regulators expensive?? thank god this car is being sold next month.

[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

not too bad i think in the $120

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
btw Sport12, u willing to sell that borla?

AudiSport12
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
120 not too bad i guess. as for the borla, im probably going to sell the car as it is. i dont have the time to mess with all that stuff unless you want to drive to where i am and pick up/swap parts with me.

Tiluleshpingen
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah i wish i had that much free time , thanx anyway

1 ate T
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Kyle, you'll be fine to drive. Not that you should gauge it on my stupidity, but I drove on my bad bearing for 6 months+...

Your call.

AudiSport12
11-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Kyle, you'll be fine to drive. Not that you should gauge it on my stupidity, but I drove on my bad bearing for 6 months+...

Your call.

haha well i drove it 4 hours back home and i honestly didnt think i would make it. by the time i got home, it honestly was so loud that the radio couldnt even drown out the sound. when i replaced the bearing, the ball bearings on the inside were no longer sphericle (is that a word?)- they were were badly deformed. im suprised it didnt seize up on me