PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop vibrations from subwoofers ??

Speckto
11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
The three spots that i hear the most vibration in is the trunk lid, the rear deck, and just recently the headliner by the sunroof. Any DIY options (besides turning it down cause i know there will be someone wanting to say that) Anything you did or know that works?? Bose all around with 2 12" Kickers in an un-ported box.

ILoveT
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Get rid of them

grip_racer
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_trunk_kit.html

sjthomas
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Dynamat? (http://www.dynamat.com/store/store-car.asp)

And 2 12s is way overkill, IMO. Small cabin space in cars doesn't respond well to that much bass.

edit-gripracer wins.

Speckto
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Well obviously after spending the money on them im not gonna get rid of them so please only leave helpful replies... As for dynamat ive been contemplating forever but I really wanna see alternatives as far as a cheaper price

ILoveT
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Put them in a dope ass box so you get some mad tones yo.

Speckto
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Put them in a dope ass box so you get some mad tones yo.

Again if you have nothing helpful to say stop wasting both of our times... please

black00A4
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
peal n seal from home depot.

Speckto
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
is that the roof lining stuff??? ive heard people used it but idk how it works... is it like a sheet of stuff or more of a glue?

wkornfeld
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
First you should source where the vibrations are actually coming from. A lot of times they come from things that are no longer tightened the way they used to be. Usually close attention, some rubber washers/spacers, and some carefully applied pieces of dynamat will make a world of difference. Usually the only thing that most people hear from the trunk is the license plate. People never remember that all you need to do is tighten it down. Purchase some 1/4" foam strips with a peel-n-stick adhesive and apply it to the underside of the plate. Just take your time and diagnose where it's actually resonating from.

A4Rob
11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Another home deopt option is that expanding foam called "Great Stuff" Spray it in everywhere

grip_racer
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
a cheaper alternative to Dynamat is called Brown Bread

search ebay for it

its pretty much the same thing but without the name

ILoveT
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Haha, I was in class and my friend was on my account. That's my excuse. :)

Speckto
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
First you should source where the vibrations are actually coming from. A lot of times they come from things that are no longer tightened the way they used to be. Usually close attention, some rubber washers/spacers, and some carefully applied pieces of dynamat will make a world of difference. Usually the only thing that most people hear from the trunk is the license plate. People never remember that all you need to do is tighten it down. Purchase some 1/4" foam strips with a peel-n-stick adhesive and apply it to the underside of the plate. Just take your time and diagnose where it's actually resonating from.

Yea this is what im gonna do to see if i can fix it. I already tightened my license plate down. The rattling im hearing from my trunk is from the outside only if its closed. I think Ill try to take out the lining and maybe put some sort of dynamat or that peel and seal in there.

oh and ILoveT : apology accepted

turbo944s2
11-12-2007, 07:00 PM
The license plate dynamat kit works wonders, there was a write up about putting dynamat under the interior lights and tightening up the light sockets to stop the vibration. I got rid of my Kicker 12" L7 and 1200 watt ampcause it shook the car apart. The article was on Audiworld

Speckto
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
The license plate dynamate kit works wonders, there was a write up about putting dynamat under the interior lights and tightening up the light sockets to stop the vibration. I got rid of my l7 cause it shook the car apart,

The interior lights are what annoys me the most... do you remember where you read that article cause that would be awesome to read. And a 17?? thats just insane

wkornfeld
11-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Na, he said L7... it's a square shaped woofer that Kicker has become famous for. It's a beasty animal too..

4ringAR
11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
turn them down a bit so they dont make the car vibrate so much.

the other day this guy comes into my first period english class and says,
"so i was driving on santa fe and my rearview mirror fell off, do you know how hard it is to drive on santa fe without a rearview mirror?"
someone in the class, "well, its not like you ever use it anyway. but why did it fall off?"
him(in a cocky tone) "because my sub is so loud!"
everyone in the class rolled their eyes at his stupidity and thinking that it we would all approve because it was from his subs being so loud.

capea4
11-18-2007, 12:51 PM
You are better off using Dynamat "TAC MAT" for the headliner. It doesn't have any adhesive on it so you will have to use some good spray glue. Dynamat sheets add mass to the panel they are attached to, witch lowers its resonating frequency. Tac MAT turns acoustic energy into heat, and is a closed cell foam. It also fills air voids. It also is great for making fiberglass boxes.

A4 Effort
11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
As mentioned, get yourself some Dynamat. I put Dynamat Extreme in my entire trunk area, including the trunk lid (have to remove trunk lid card). I also put it in all 4 of my doors and on my rear deck as well. I took some leftover Dynamat and put it on my rear license plate to quiet that down too. Dynamat makes a huge difference.

I still get rattling around the rear deck area though, and i'm only running a jl stealthbox with two 8's in it. Rattling is inevitable.

loustylez
11-20-2007, 09:06 AM
i have two 12's running off a small amp that's probably made for one 12 and it sounds fine in my car. so if anything, just turn it down.

GTO
11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
At our shop we used to do partially dynamat and some expanding foam. You'll probably have to pull the rear deck out and there should be some factory sound deadning i just trace those peices onto the dynamat and replace those which dynamat, if you hear vibrations coming through the trunk lid, you can take off the cover and pump expanding foam into the cavities between the two peices of metal. Trace your rear license plate on dynamat and that should cut most of them.

More power to ya, I'm rocking 2 CVR 12's too, running them off the Planet Audio 1250.1, just bring the gain down and it cuts on distortion as well.

Speckto
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
More power to ya, I'm rocking 2 CVR 12's too, running them off the Planet Audio 1250.1, just bring the gain down and it cuts on distortion as well.

Same exact setup as you... Did everything you do work???

GTO
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
The vibrations i got were just mostly from the plate, thats done, and i can hear some vibrations but i wasn't going to go crazy with the sound deadning. I use to work for a car audio shop and thats what we used to do to kill any rattles. So mine just has some trunk dynamat and a little on the rear deck just around the edging really where it comes in contact with other items. I think i got the rear deck removal off A4 mods, or off audizines DIY section.

dj spiel
11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
lol

I have 2 (12inch subs)

hehe

onemoremile
11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Find a song that makes the noise. Then find the noise. Then determine why it is making noise. If it is two pieces of metal hitting each other then put some double sided tape in there. Use self adhesive velcro if there is a larger gap. If a piece is just vibrating and you can't do that then you can apply a material like Cascade V-Blok, Dynamat, or Brown Bread. All of these materials (and all other sound deadening for that matter) turn vibration into a little heat. This is really a very simple problem that just needs a little common sense and some garage time.

FWIW, my home theater has a pair of 15" Tempests in 8 cubic foot boxes (16 foot total), can play all day between 13-60 Hz, and can hit close to 150dB (C weighted, slow response curve). There are no vibration caused noises in the room other than the filaments in the light bulbs. The ceiling fans on the other floor's shake pretty good though. Again, just a little common sense.