PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain tensioner remove and install tips...

Poopie
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I ordered a ton of maintence parts I've been ignoring for a while. More Mann oil filters, trans mounts for both sides, rear diff mount, oil dip stick tube, brake pads, cam chain tensioner, valve cover gasket, cam adjuster seal, and axle boot. I need some tips for doing the cam chain tensioner though.

http://www.ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index3.html

does anyone have any tips or things that I might do different because my motor is an AEB?

On a side note, besides being a noisy POS, what affects does a warm cam chain tensioner have? Maybe my cams are slightly mis-timed?

Poopie
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I've done up a ton of reading on audiworld. There are atleast 50 threads on the Cam Chain tensioner and its barely talked about here.

If you have a leaky valve cover gasket and a cam chain tensioner gasket you are losing oil pressure to the tensioner. The slack will cause the guides to prematurely wear and bits and pieces will come off and clogg the oil pick up and screen causing more oil pressure issues and sludging. Its a viscious cycle so I can see why they are "self destructing". The 01's have a big issues with it. First try to seafoam the engine and crankcase to loosen up the sludge to see if you oil pressure comes up. If you tensioner still makes noise replace it and replace all the gaskets.

Back i'm still wondering if a warn tensioner will decrease perfrormance and efficiency. The timing belt turns the exhaust cam, and the intake and exhaust cams are linked with a chain that has tension on it. If this are slightly mis-timed, will the intake valves open and close too late and cause the motor to run rich? I've noticed that in the cold I leak a lot more oil out the back of the head and my fuel mileage is terrible. My timing retard is slightly higher.

Mike? Onemoremile?

wkornfeld
11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Let me know if you need the oem tool to tighten it up to drop it in. Back when I was working on my 98 A4 1.8TQ one of the techs at my local dealership gave me his.

ModifiedA4
11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
as far as the timing goes...only the intake cam would be affected. the exhaust cam is directly driven off the timing belt.

now because its a chain, the timing will never vary by more than the slop in one link....unless tension is completely lost and the chain buckles.

Poopie
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
so you think barely any perfomance decrease with a warn tensioner?

ModifiedA4
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
so you think barely any perfomance decrease with a warn tensioner?

not any significant amount, unless the noise it generates sets off the knock sensor or something...

Poopie
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
damn i think you hit the nail on the head.

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
any tips on how not to miss a tooth on the chain? after replacing the seal

Militant-Grunt
03-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Im going to be doing mine soon when I tear the motor apart, looks like a pain in the ass.

chris164935
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Buy a Bentley and stop sweating the small stuff.

Poopie
03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
just use a white out pen to mark the gear and the chain.

ModifiedA4
03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
and im pretty sure there should be 16links between marks.

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Im going to be doing mine soon when I tear the motor apart, looks like a pain in the ass.

i just finished mine , if you have that cam tensioner tool its a pice of cake
loosen the 4 bolts, then tighten tighten the tool ,it and that loosens up the chain tensioner.. just make sure u mark the chain su you dont skip a tooth, other then that its easy

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
just use a white out pen to mark the gear and the chain.

bic white out ftw[>_<][:D][:D]

Toyotatech
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
i just finished mine , if you have that cam tensioner tool its a pice of cake
loosen the 4 bolts, then tighten tighten the tool ,it and that loosens up the chain tensioner.. just make sure u mark the chain su you dont skip a tooth, other then that its easy

I just loosened the bolts, used a dental pick to pull out the old gasket and slid the new one in, I never removed the tensoiner and didn't have to mark anything.

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I just loosened the bolts, used a dental pick to pull out the old gasket and slid the new one in, I never removed the tensoiner and didn't have to mark anything.

that is also an alternative, did u remove the half moon?

Poopie
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't have to. Just look at the pic of the gasket. Space is tight so i might just be easier to remove it. If you don't have the compressing tool and don't have a torque wrench to torque the bearing caps then you might wanna go the pick route.

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Don't have to. Just look at the pic of the gasket. Space is tight so i might just be easier to remove it. If you don't have the compressing tool and don't have a torque wrench to torque the bearing caps then you might wanna go the pick route.

how much did u torq them? i went by hand judgment!

Poopie
03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
I think the spec is like 10-12 ft lbs. For motor stuff I use a torque wrench.

quattro16
03-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Quarter turn past snap.

ModifiedA4
03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
please people, buy a bentley before opening the motor up.

creechsa4
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
cam caps 84 inch lbs/ it's about 7 lbs or so. i put loctite, cause that's light.

Poopie
03-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah, but they are itty bitty torx bolts into an aluminum head. I torqued them to 10 and they are fine.

Tiluleshpingen
03-20-2008, 09:43 AM
^ i used my hand torqing to maybe 3 times after it was tigh for the average hand and its fien so far, i dont hand a torq wrench