PDA

View Full Version : Is There any way to see if a shift knob fits before buying it?

Euro
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I found/ thought of a shift knob that i want. I dont know if it will fit though...

I know it screws on, like most knobs, just I want to be sure if it will fit before I buy it.

Is there any measurements it has to meet to fit correctly?

thanks.

jst4show2.8
11-05-2007, 08:10 AM
i made this mistake already, i had a older shift knob on my old car that was an auto. I was going to put it on my audi, i thought it would fit because it was for all auto trannys.Most auto knobs when pushing in the button to take it from park to drive pushes the rod down in the shift column.Ours Pulls it up to make it shift,so after ripping into the shift knob tearing mine totally up to find this out, i am s.o.l.[headbang](and just to take off the knob to see what i am talking about, pull the little silver piece down, the pull your button on your shift knob towards you and lift up, and it should come off)

Euro
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a manual.

onemoremile
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
the knobs that come with plastic sleeves fit just about anything. put the sleeve in the knob and twist it down onto the threaded shifter shaft to cut threads into the plastic.

Yaktizzle417
11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
My ricebomb weighted $8 Autozone shift knob has the plastic sleeve and allen wrench slots.

I <3 it.

onemoremile
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
My $20 carbon NRG style knob also has the inserts. Threading the insert was easy but it was a little loose in the knob so that the knob could twist slightly. One wrap of masking tape around the insert and it is tight again. If you got in the car and I said it was a custom $100 knob you'd believe me. It feels perfect.

Euro
11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
this knob is solid metal.

no plastic... And I dont "have" it to test it. I only have pictures....

onemoremile
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
If it is solid metal than it will have either a bore diameter or a thread pitch. Find out what it is and we can tell you if it fits.

Euro
11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Aight... I just sent an Email asking the diameter and the thread pitch.

Teh thanks man.

biketsai
11-05-2007, 10:16 PM
anybody ever thought of getting a shift boot and manual trim plate and get an aftermarket shift knob for a Tip?

Euro
11-05-2007, 11:15 PM
anybody ever thought of getting a shift boot and manual trim plate and get an aftermarket shift knob for a Tip?

I've seen that before... [rolleyes] thats meant for some one who drives an automatic, but actually wishes it was a manual .

I found an old subaru shift knob from my buddies WRX, and it fits perfectly. So I figure that's enough proof to say that its going to fit, since the aftermarket knob I found is meant for subies.

Euro
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
They emailed me back and said its 12X1.25mm

so... thats going to fit right?