PDA

View Full Version : Finally going GTRS

biketsai
10-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey, So I have made my final decision to go GTRS and I am going to start piecing together everything needed.
My car is a 2001 A4 1.8T Tiptronic.
I have done numerous searching and I just want to make sure I get things right before I start buying and installing.
If I am forgetting anything REALLY needed please let me know.
Also if you have any suggestions on which company I should pick for an item, inform me about that as well.
Thanks

GTRS Elim Turbo with hardware
Ebay FMIC
Tune (not sure which to go with)/Injectors. possibly FPR
SS oil/coolant lines
Test Pipe
3" Intake (What kinda of custom setup can I do for this?)
MAF?

Things I am going to keep stock but replace later down the road.
TIP
Manifold

If you have any of the mentioned items listed above for sale that'd work out for what I am doing let me know.
thanks

audiholix
10-27-2007, 10:20 PM
not sure if the stock tiptronic can handle that kind of power.

a4speed
10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Unitronics is the best for a B5

do not use Mika tuning!

a new manifold should be the first thing to get next on the list, your stock one after time may crack.

biketsai
10-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Ill look more into Unitronics, can anyone else vouch for them?
and for the MAF, I think I am going to find a VR6 MAF or Ford 5" MAF and just get some random Conefilter and a U shaped Mandrel Bend 3" piping for the intake. Sound good?

Kyle H
10-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Unitronics is one of the more well known tuning companies, especially for the b5 elims.

034 has a tuning/fueling package you may want to look into. It's injectors and software for something like $700.

biketsai
10-27-2007, 10:50 PM
yea, I just went to the 034 sight, seems good.
So I guess so far my choices are either Unitronics or 034.

Jw, what kinda power do those tunes put down to the crank?

aytheory
10-27-2007, 10:51 PM
wow i swear i saw this post not too long ago - seriously crazy repost

biketsai
10-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Yea I have read many posts like this recently, but their questions/applications havent been exactly the same as mine.
Many recent ones have been about going k04/elim on a FWD, etc etc.

aytheory
10-27-2007, 11:43 PM
uhh i was referring to this post

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167281&highlight=gtrs

biketsai
10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
ohh, well sorry, I just wanted to make a clean clear post

seank
10-28-2007, 08:33 AM
don't buy a MAF until you decide on a tune that is what dictates which one you will use not just which one you like. Also check out Chris Tapp for tuning as well. I think an upgraded torque converter should be at the top of your list as well probably before you even buy the turbo.

biketsai
10-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I think an upgraded torque converter should be at the top of your list as well probably before you even buy the turbo.

this definitely is.
I think if I didnt have it, I could run REALLY low boost.

seank
10-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Why the hell would you want to do that? That would require you to get a tune for limited boost and then another "normal" tune, causing you to spend more money than actually necessary b/c you are being cheap upfront. Your goal should be to first build your car to handle the power and then actually make it. What is the sense in going BT if you are going not use it to its abilities.

biketsai
10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
kk, well I am defintely going to build it up first before i put things in.
Should I be fine with those mods I listed?.

seank
10-28-2007, 12:41 PM
What you have listed seems to be fine. But you will also want to take into account any general maintenance your car may need, how many miles do you have? A BT setup while most likely bring out all your evils hidden in your car at some point as it is operating outside of what it was designed for. How mechanically inclined are you, your postings make you seem like you are in over your head already. A better option for you may be a simple k04. If not then I would say first get your transmission sorted, then fix and/or do any maintenance your car may or will soon need. After this is accomplished then buy the elim setup and supporting mods and then choose your tune as well as purchase the components specific to the tune, i.e. MAF and injectors. Good luck.

maxspeed
10-28-2007, 12:47 PM
guys, PES is now selling the tuning for the PES kit, so thats just another great option for BT tuning [up]

audiFUEGO
10-28-2007, 12:49 PM
^^ X2

biketsai
10-28-2007, 01:16 PM
My car currently has 83k miles on it.
All maintenance has been done on the car throughout its whole life.
Timing belt and water pump have been replaced.
I have most basic mechanical skills and have access to a lift/alot of tools/

biketsai
10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
bbump

a4speed
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
you will be fine with those mods, might not run as quite as smooth and obviously not close to your full hp potential.

i didn't notice this but you also need a good 2.5 - 3" turbo-back exhaust setup. testpipe is good, but you still need good flow the whole way out. i did not read your sig very well, so turbo-back exhaust should probably be done with the setup and if you can't afford it then that should be the first thing you do after.

_audible_
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
guys, PES is now selling the tuning for the PES kit, so thats just another great option for BT tuning [up]

where did you see the information for that? I looked on their site and did not see that. Only "Performance software coming soon" was posted.

biketsai
10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
ill give PES a call and see whats up.
Unitronics or PES?

killa
10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
sent you a PM with some info.

maxspeed
10-29-2007, 11:57 AM
where did you see the information for that? I looked on their site and did not see that. Only "Performance software coming soon" was posted.

i called them, theyll part out any piece of the kit you want, including software, give them a call [up]

a4speed
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I would go Unitronics, best kit for the B5.