PDA

View Full Version : Strange Idle?

HIERLEVELZ
10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I finally got around to changing my clutch, but the last couple days the car has been idling funny when coming to a stop. The idle would "hunt" up and down a few times before settling. I let the throttle body adapt by leaving the key in the on position for 30sec to a min on 2 separate occasions but still no luck. The car is APR chipped btw. Anyone can think of a reason why this may occur? I'm thinking my ground to the starter needs to cleaned and reconnected. On one occasion it took longer than usual to turn over. Any ideas?

HIERLEVELZ
10-26-2007, 08:27 AM
damn not a soul has experienced this b4 when disconnecting their battery?

Ewok_Fetus
10-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Ummm... Just to let you know, your solution doesn't make any sense on cleaning the ground to the starter.... Starter has nothing to do with idle... 2nd, it is grounded internally and to the block of the motor...

But you just need to let it learn for a few days... If it is still acting like this in a week, then come back... Also, check for any vacuum leaks...

HIERLEVELZ
10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Ummm... Just to let you know, your solution doesn't make any sense on cleaning the ground to the starter.... Starter has nothing to do with idle... 2nd, it is grounded internally and to the block of the motor...

But you just need to let it learn for a few days... If it is still acting like this in a week, then come back... Also, check for any vacuum leaks...

Ok let me clarify....I had two separate thoughts in my head at the time. I mentioned starter not being grounded properly because the car was difficult to start on 1 occasion. If the starter is internally grounded why is there a ground wire? As far as my problem with the idle if i'm coming to a stop and I push the clutch in, the RPM's will drop down to like 400, sputter, and then go back up to normal idle....The car NEVER stalls though..

Ewok_Fetus
10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
There is no "Ground" wire on the starter... You have a hot and a switched... When you turn the key, a solenoid energizes via the smaller wire to the starter creating a path to ground from the hot wire... Like I said, try looking for vacuum leaks... Or try some different gas... If it has recently gotten cooler there, try the gas thing... My car for some reason HATES 93 octane in cold weather and takes a good 30 seconds to start...

j2da
10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
any CEL? try running vag-com and seeing if any codes pop up. my car had a rough idle for a while, a hose was disconnected from the airbox.

HIERLEVELZ
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
There is no "Ground" wire on the starter... You have a hot and a switched... When you turn the key, a solenoid energizes via the smaller wire to the starter creating a path to ground from the hot wire... Like I said, try looking for vacuum leaks... Or try some different gas... If it has recently gotten cooler there, try the gas thing... My car for some reason HATES 93 octane in cold weather and takes a good 30 seconds to start...

I will consider myself educated. There was no cel and no error codes when i scanned, but i went out for lunch earlier the idle seems to have improved. Maybe once i drive it a few more miles it will "adapt" on its own.

Ewok_Fetus
10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe once i drive it a few more miles it will "adapt" on its own.

As I have stated in my first post... [;)] Sometimes it takes a while...

HIERLEVELZ
10-26-2007, 11:31 AM
As I have stated in my first post... [;)] Sometimes it takes a while...
Yes i forgot to give credit where its due.[up]