PDA

View Full Version : whats with the FWD rear suspension?

grip_racer
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
My car was up on a lift today getting an exhaust leak fixed and I noticed that the rear suspension on my FWD B5 wasn't independent? Theres some kind of solid axle-like design going on.

what a letdown.

How much of a handling deficit does this cause? This is not a FWD bashing thread. This is an independent rear suspension vs. this other shit thread.

EDIT: also, does putting a bigger sway bar on the rear even do anything? seeing as its solid and all

tamadrumr88
10-23-2007, 05:17 AM
my brother's mk4 gti is exactly as you described and the neuspeed rear sway still made a world of a difference. IRS or not, the swaybar lowers the independence of the suspension to make the car more "flat" (less body roll)

buck
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Solid rear-end or not, an improved anti-sway bar will change the body-roll characteristics.

Vreihenmotor6
10-23-2007, 07:51 AM
the trailing beam rear that the FWD cars has isn't to bad for handleing

a stiffer anti sway bar will help

the beam itself actualy acts like a sway bar of sorts, the goal is just to baiscaly increse the spring rate of the beam

I have a FWD A4 too, and I've been looking into rear swaybar options

as of now, I haven't found many

I'm looking into the "O-Bar" and have been talking with the supplier of them, they gave me a list of dimensions to check on the rear beam to see if it will fit

alternitavly I might consider "boxing" in a secion of the middle of the beam to resist twisting forces similar to I currently have on my VW

offroader1006
10-23-2007, 08:25 AM
that "solid" axle flexes more than you'd think.

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
interesting...

well as long as there isnt a huge deficit between the two suspension types, I'll probably start upgrading. Tein Basics and bigger sway bars are on the list.

my current setup with Bilsteins (HDs i think) and Neuspeed sports just isnt cutting it -- nice ride but it doesn't really perform. It was installed by the previous owner.

Vreihenmotor6
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
try adding a sway bar first

you don't always have to increse spring rates to overcome body sway

upgrading to a swaybar will increse the "spring rate" of the rear beam thus making the car turn a bit more flat without introducing a harsher ride

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 09:21 AM
^^should i do the front as well? I don't have the OEM sport suspension

audisportnut
10-23-2007, 09:21 AM
does anyone have any idea what swaybars they make for the fwd ? im just wondering because i would like to do my suspension all the way around . [wrench]

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
i think neuspeed makes em for our FWD

thats the only one i can find

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
actually, it looks like eibach and H&R do too, lookin on ebay

EDIT: nevermind... fronts only for H&R and EIbach

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
would a Passat rear bar work?

audisportnut
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
eibach only sells the front ! tis needed i tell you!

grip_racer
10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
looks like we're stuck with the $330 neuspeed

audisportnut
10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Someone should call them and double check it looks like a generic ad ? I would but im headed to work !

bass_lover1
10-23-2007, 01:32 PM
would a Passat rear bar work?

Should work.

IIRC the Passat rear end and A4 rear end are identical as long as we're talking FWD to FWD or Quattro to 4Motion.

pyongwonse
10-23-2007, 01:46 PM
whats the difference in size with the passat bar?

i have the same setup and i was wonder the saaame thing

Vreihenmotor6
10-23-2007, 02:24 PM
^^should i do the front as well? I don't have the OEM sport suspension

depends what you want

rear sway induces oversteer (can correct oem understeer, or induce oversteer depending on application and strength of the bar)

front sway keeps the front more level in turns, and introduces more understeer

I'd say get the rear first, then if its too much for you get the front bar

as far as the passat and the audi being the same as far the rear beam goes, I origianly thought that, but apparently the passat rear has separate springs and shocks opposed to our strut setup, so I doubt and tradtional rear sway would fit both cars