PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone running an oil-cooled only turbo (other than GT25)?

pac1085
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
It's that time of the year again! My turbo is shitting the bed!

Just curious if anyone is successfully running an oil-cooled only turbo...as mine keep messing up. Wheels and bearings are fine - the whole turbo seems fine - yet oil seeps past the rear seal into the turbine housing and burns off. If I simply take it apart and clean it I can get months more use, but I have to get it re-balanced every time.

The only thing I can think of is the oil getting too thin from the heat and seeping past...not sure what else to think because my feed is restricted properly and my drain is straight and clear of any issues...

Before I started putting Holset's in my K04 also displayed similar issues. The turbo was fine..housing, wheels, bearings, were fine...yet oil was leaking out of it and burning in the exhaust. Keep in mind that K04's are water cooled turbos.

So...is anyone running an oil-cooled only turbo? IF you are, post what type and how many miles you've run it. I'm about ready to buy a GT-something but don't want to if I'm going to have the same issues again, that would be far too costly....

Also...I should note that it was most noticible on a long drive. It started leaking/smoking pretty bad on the way down to H2o. Yesterday, I changed from a 160 degree T-Stat to a stock one (195) this in turn made my oil temps go up almost 50 degrees. This made my issues MUCH more noticible. I've tried thicker oil in the past with no luck - maybe it was too late?

solowb5
10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
If you are runing an oil cooled turbo it has to be atleast a 360 race bearing or a modified 270 or else even a restrictor isn't going to help it. Also what angle are you runing the lines and how straight is your drain line. Pictures of your set-up would help. I would also recommend a compression check to see if it is coming from somewhere else.

GeosA4
11-23-2007, 05:09 AM
I ran a 45 trim turbo w/ restrictor on my 1.8T Jetta, never had oil in the exhaust issues. What is your oil pressure at? If you don't have a gauge, you need to get one.

mike-2ptzero
11-23-2007, 07:13 AM
What weight oil do you run?

onemoremile
11-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Oil pressure is critical. Too low and the bearing won't float, too high and it'll cause even more problems. The restrictor is key.