PDA

View Full Version : Cheap High-Flow Cat

A4orce84
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Guys,

So since the flange on my cat converter crapped out on me, I started looking at high-flow cat's to buy.

I know Labree's is like $260, but I was going to see if there were any others for less?

I would run a test-pipe, but my state does smog tests.

So anyone know of any good/cheap HFC? Thanks.

Anyone know if this will work on our cars:
http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=59956&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&btnSearch.x=0&btnSearch.y=0

Thanks.

--Asif

Monchichi8
10-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I'd go with the Labree, some of the really cheap cats don't flow like you want and tend to break down/clog over time. $260 is nothing when you look at the Dalhback cat. Of course is a 100 cell race cat but $799 or is it $899??? OUCH!

onemoremile
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Get the Labree.

A4orce84
10-21-2007, 01:06 PM
anyone have a link to the Labree HFC? i thought I saw it earlier, but now I can't get to it off their website =(

speedydragon
10-21-2007, 01:43 PM
fastintention's site sells it i think. google/yahoo it up, I'm not sure on the exact link for their site.

element256
10-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I can source you one probably for around $150.

PM if you need one with the details and I'll call my distributer

audiness
10-21-2007, 04:32 PM
labree is good, but order it now and you'll get in in a month or 2.

Nebone
10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
I just installed a Fast intensions one today with a Techtonics downpipe. Get one thats 2.5" front to back. With the 3 inch its just a pain to install.

RigsPGT
10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Cheap, effective, less restrictive = Magnaflow @$65-75 shipped but then you need to supply your own flanges and you're set.

PerformancePeddler.com has some good prices on them.

A4orce84
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Question regarding sizes...what should I look at since I am going to be upgrading to borla in a year or so? Currently I am running the stock 1.8T exhaust system.

I definitely want a 2.5in HFC, but then it won't work on my current stock setup right? I know the stock exhaust setup is about 1.8in and a Borla is 2.25in.....so if I get a HFC that's 2.5in will it work on my stock or Borla setup? Thanks.

--Asif

RigsPGT
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Anything can be made to work but for better flow you want a uniform one size exhaust piping from downpipe to muffler inlet. Dont get me wrong, a 3" downpipe still works with a stock cat and cat-back as long as the flanges match and dont leak.

A4orce84
10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
So can I use Labree (which is 2.5in) with my stock exhaust system?

Nebone
10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Yes. You can use a 2.5" or even 3" High Flow Catalyst with your stock exhaust. Stock pipe diameter is 2.125". I just installed mine and it's something I don't want to repeat so make sure you get a nice quality part that will perform over the years. I hope mine will.

dingguhlbary
10-21-2007, 10:22 PM
do hfcs burn off the fuel just as efficiently as stock cats? im just wondering if its some kind of trade off for, more flow-less burning of fuel, or if it just as efficient in saving the environment and also increasing airflow

A4orce84
10-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes. You can use a 2.5" or even 3" High Flow Catalyst with your stock exhaust. Stock pipe diameter is 2.125". I just installed mine and it's something I don't want to repeat so make sure you get a nice quality part that will perform over the years. I hope mine will.

Won't the cat be too large for the stock exhaust then? How does it connect up properly?

Nebone
10-22-2007, 07:01 AM
It all comes down to the large flanges. The diameters will mate into each other and the large stock flange will cover up the larger diameter making a good seal. The turbo outlet is 3" btw so it effortlessly mates with the 3" cat. Only problem is the 3" cat is so fat that the bolts are sooo slose to it, i couldn't even get a thin walled socket on them. I had to break some twisting moves with a stubby wrench. As of now the only exhaust I have is the HFC and downpipe and its effing loud and vibrates (pretty much sux to drive).

onemoremile
10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
do hfcs burn off the fuel just as efficiently as stock cats? im just wondering if its some kind of trade off for, more flow-less burning of fuel, or if it just as efficient in saving the environment and also increasing airflow

What catalysts do is add an oxygen to turn carbon monoxide (co) into carbon dioxide (co2). co2 is still a greenhouse gas but it less harmful than co. FWIW, all the cows and livestock on the planet generate more greenhouse gas than industry and transportation. Hard to think that you're doing more damage ordering steaks at Outback than during the drive over. Methane is a funny thing. Our landfills also generate a lot of combustible greenhouse gasses.

A4orce84
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Final question, if I do end up getting one of these HFC's that are 2.5in in diameter (bigger than factory exhaust) do I need to take it to a shop to do any welds?

Or can me and a few buddies switch it out? Thanks.

--Asif

onemoremile
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
You'll need some PB Blaster to soak the nuts in, a couple socket extensions, and maybe a couple wobbles or u-joints. I think I used a wrench or gear wrench in there somewhere.

A4orce84
10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
What about this random technology brand that I have been hearing about? Is it more than the $250-260 of Lebree? Thanks everyone in advance! =)

--Asif

CaSp3r9
10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I got my Techtonics HFC for $295. I'm pretty sure TT and Labree HFC's are random technology; they're both more or less the same cats IIRC.

onemoremile
10-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Random Technology are made by guys from Labree. Techtonics has an excellent reputation but is a seperate manufacturing group.

Nebone
10-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Gear wrenches wont fit on the turbo-cat bolts.

Here is what I did...

Before doing anything MAKE SURE you have new gaskets and bolts and tools.

Tools you need:

- foot long or stubby 22mm wrench (open end)
- Long 17mm open and closed end wrench
- 17mm medium length socket

Soak the turbo-cat bolts, o2 sensor nuts, and exhaust clamp bolts under the car the night before in PB Blaster.

Take out the intake.
Disconnect the exhaust clamp
Take out the turbo-cat bolts (use the tools and dont strip them)
Take out first 02 sensor (wires can be twisted when turning the sensor out)
Remove the downpipe mount.
Have someone help you take out the cat and downpipe out through the engine bay. it needs to be rotated while coming it. Its possible. When the pipe is half way out you can reach the 2nd 02 sensor and remove it.
Disconnect the downppe from cat while its out. (much better than thwn its in the tunnel)

Assemble it in reverse order.

Get the 2.5" cat all around. I have 3"-2.5" and when it came to putting the nuts on turbo -cat studs, almost threw a fit cuz nothing would fit. I ended up making some nifty extensions and a $26 stubby and got them in. yey

Make sure you have lots of time and good weather or a garage.

onemoremile
10-23-2007, 04:13 PM
The only thing that would fit well on that bastard turbo bolt was an impact socket for lug nuts with a removable plastic sleeve. With that sleeve off it had nice thin walls and was just the right length to allow for the socket handle to get some work done. Every other socket and extension was too long or too short.

Nebone
10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6169_6170_6186_6188_6742&info=Techtonics_253.167T_Catalytic_Converter_Stain less&products_id=2089

This is a descent deal on a good hi-flow cat.

dingguhlbary
10-24-2007, 12:05 AM
FWIW, all the cows and livestock on the planet generate more greenhouse gas than industry and transportation.

i was watching this episode of top gear once, and the guy was saying how a cow pollutes the earth more in one day with the methane from his crap than a v8 land rover. thats intense man. damn cows.

A4orce84
10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
So any reason to get the Techtonics HFC, over the Fast Intentions one:

http://tantrumwerks.com/html/18exhaust.html

Looks to be about $260 for both. Thanks.

--Asif

DND
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
damn cows
Ha ha, you'll just have to stop eating them and the problem will go away. [;)]

Which of the high flow cats "flow the highest"? And which do the best job environmentally? How much trade off is there?

Which ones come with everything needed to install them?