PDA

View Full Version : I might be getting 2000 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 5spd

shift_1.8t
10-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,
This is my second post on here I believe, The reason I became member w/o having an audi is because I might be purchasing one here pretty soon. I had 2000 Nissan Maxima SE before, and I loved that car with all my heart. But I was involved in a car accident couple weeks ago, so its time for me to get a new car.
The car that I am looking at is 2000 Audi A4 1.8Turbo Quattro 5spd manual awd, its got leather seats, HIDs, BOSE, black, heated front seats, keyless entry and other stuff. The milage is 87xxx and the price is just little over $8000. Now is this guy ripping me off? I am saying NOPE, because i've checked the price on kbb and it was in 12k range. Then what are the pros and cons of having an audi?
I know that its hard to fix, i heard problems with head gaskets, and oil leaking...hmmm idk how true is that. My friend owns a 2000 A6 quattro dual turbo 4.6l, I believe....i know its a 6spd, and he's had a lot of problems with it, and he's telling me not to get one :(. I am just loving the way these cars look. My other choices are Bmw 3 series 2000 and up. Then maybe lexus is300, or jetta 1.8turbo (2001 and up)

Let me know what you guys think? tell me about audis, all the bad and good things.
Here is picture of my maxima before it was wrecked :(

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/shift_2kmaxima/l_ed30ea4d48d0e11c695df4d1cc4faf05.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/shift_2kmaxima/l_c0978b71fbf7f66227715a849840e165.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/shift_2kmaxima/l_254ceb0b68b0600d00118d2b80a7c784.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/shift_2kmaxima/l_1b76874aef052153afd1e9c2d4eed5c7.jpg

Huso

Stampy
10-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Be comfy with fixin things. Its kind of a crap shoot if you get one with problems or not. If you do, you will spend much $$$ fixing it. Carfax can can only help you so much, but you should run one. The timing belt is due on that car your talking about. Thats a $700+ if you have someone else do it investment to think about. I always tell people that are considering Audi. Prepare yourself for the worst. Then when it happens your not surprised. If it never does, its like a sweet Quattro gift. Good luck Homi

- jeff

mad_circle21
10-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I got the same car your looking at. It was a 2000 1.8t with 64,000 miles and I got it for 10,500 about a year and a half ago. One owner car and the guy had a good service record(well-maintained). The thing has never left me stranded but the amount of money I have put into fixing it is absolutely ridiculous. 4 of my friends have audis and they all have the same thing. Expensive problems every month. They all can't wait to get rid of their cars. I had to have my rear window re-sealed, clutch replaced, timing belt kit, control arm kit, fuel sending unit, coolant temp sensor, had 3 boost leaks and still have one, climate control buttons stick like crazy, brakes and rotors all around and 4 tires. Some of it you can expect for a used car but not all. I say go with the IS300. You won't be dissappointed.

a4speed
10-20-2007, 12:22 PM
wow, i guess i was expecting to see some more positive answers [:)]

there are a few audi's out there that need repairing. don't let that totally fool you though. the engine can last forever and if the car was well maintained, you won't have as many problems. B5's are known to have more problems then the B6. If it's possible I would go with a 2003+ A4, they are more reliable.

oh, and don't get a jetta. thats a chick car...

aytheory
10-20-2007, 12:32 PM
go with is300 - leave this place its a TRAAAAAAAAAAAAP

shift_1.8t
10-20-2007, 12:37 PM
wow hahaha
i didnt expect to hear all these negative problems...i guess my friend is being friendly by telling me not to buy it. Iam liking the stock turbo and awd option, we have bad winters here in Indiana, and awd would def. help me out a lot. The vw jettas being chicks cars....hahah...i guess so lol, but they're easily modified so you can def. make it stand out from others and it wont be as chicky as it would if it was stock. is300, i found one here in my area its YELOOW (ughh) and its automatic :(....thats whats killing me. My maxima was automatic and I Didnt like it as much. So i'll just have to research some more.
STill cant decide what to get :(.
I love 4 door cars, i am not into 2 doors at all.
So anything from is300, jetta, audi, bmw, maxima....would be awesome
its justh ard finding some of these car in MT

Thanks a lot guys,
I guess i wont be getting an audi then :(

Huso

aytheory
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
thank god we save another one - go with is300 you won't be sorry even if you have to go out a bit of your way to find one

shift_1.8t
10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
any of you guys got experience with saab?
iam looking at few 9-3 02/03 saabs

thx

huso

speedydragon
10-20-2007, 01:39 PM
fwiw, there was no a6 that came with a 4.6l twin turbo. it's either 2.7 twin turbo, or 4.2 v8 NA..or the v6 engines

wagonbaron
10-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I got the same car your looking at. It was a 2000 1.8t with 64,000 miles and I got it for 10,500 about a year and a half ago. One owner car and the guy had a good service record(well-maintained). The thing has never left me stranded but the amount of money I have put into fixing it is absolutely ridiculous. 4 of my friends have audis and they all have the same thing. Expensive problems every month. They all can't wait to get rid of their cars. I had to have my rear window re-sealed, clutch replaced, timing belt kit, control arm kit, fuel sending unit, coolant temp sensor, had 3 boost leaks and still have one, climate control buttons stick like crazy, brakes and rotors all around and 4 tires. Some of it you can expect for a used car but not all. I say go with the IS300. You won't be dissappointed.

these are all problems that come with a car of that age and mileage. if you are looking for a beat around car that you can hop in everyday and just drive without any attention to maintenance and up keep, audi is not your car whatever you do, take it to a good mechanic and have them look it over, then you have a reasonable idea what you are getting into.

NyteEscape
10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
fwiw, there was no a6 that came with a 4.6l twin turbo. it's either 2.7 twin turbo, or 4.2 v8 NA..or the v6 engines

yea, i was gonna say that but i figured it wasnt the focus.

anyways, my b5 has had quite a few problems. from cat leaks to blown trannies, i won't lie, it has been expensive. i love the car, but i do wish i had seen this coming. i was also ripped off by the previous owner, so that didnt help.

however my b6 has been amazing. only 2 things wrong, which came to a $50 bill with me doing my own labor.

i will give credit to my b5, it got me into audi's, something that i'll have forever. it was my first mod car, my intro to awd, and i'll never forget it no matter what happens.

aytheory
10-20-2007, 02:02 PM
ahahah saab are worse then audi - so SKIP

Revolution02
10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I got my 2000 a4 1.8tqm about a year ago and i have had only minor issues with it. I changed the timing belt out myself for $300. Changed the rear breaks myself $200 had a check engine light, I needed a O2 sensor, chanded it and still have the light but the car runs fine. I am not sure of the issue so i am taking it to a shop to tell me what the problem is then ill fix it myself(most likely its a bad sensor). If it snows a lot where you live dont get a 300is. In dry weather like here in Cali the 300is is great but when we went to the mountains the 300is was very difficult to drive because it was slipping all over the place even with chains. My audi had summer tires an i had no problems driving in the snow. Even with the issues I love my car and wouldnt get anything different. Good luck in your decision making.

dmaize
10-20-2007, 03:45 PM
my b5 is perfict except alot of problems but they were all expected except that danb abs problem. good luck finding a is300 in manual. . . i might get burned but i say get a mazdaspeed. but i will stick to my audi. and in minnesota its almost quattro season.

dingguhlbary
10-20-2007, 04:02 PM

the thing is, you bought the car RIGHt when a lot of preventative maintenance had to be done, so in my opinion, it was just bad timing. id kind of rather have one around 90-100k because by that time usually the clutch is changed and the tbelt has been changed too. so as long as the maintenance record check out, the previous owner was sensible and drove like a regular person, im sure the audi wouldperform great for years to come. i say go for it. the price doesnt seem so bad too.

plus, if anything DOEs go wrong, its been covered here. you can just search up and get a DIY. [up]
happy car shopping [drive]

dingguhlbary
10-20-2007, 04:03 PM
just get used to turning a wrench. the real cost of fixing a car is labor in my opinion.

aytheory
10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
ahahah labor is cheap - cuz i am cheap - i pay myself in peanuts and a soda pop

jjjoe
10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a 2000 1.8 tq. The car has always treated me right. I've spent money on things but mostly because I wanted to. Had to replace the battery and the center display is useless these days. Get it checked out by someone that knows Audi's and listen to what they tell you.
Good luck!

biketsai
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I am 2001 a4 1.8t, and I have not had any problems yet. (knock on wood)
I am also chipped.
If you can buy it with the Timing belt replaced, thatd be great.

shift_1.8t
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
nice nice....the guy that was selling me audi, just emailed me and told me that he sold the car :(...sux for me....
i'vee been looking at 2001-2004 saab 9-3 (normal looking one lol) not the hatchback/wagon or convertible...i just like the sedan looking one, i think they look really nice, but then idk anything about those cars (engine-wise) :(

if you could help, it would be wonderful.

Huso
thx

Stampy
10-20-2007, 11:29 PM
You should do some research on here and other Audi sites. Get informed about "common" issues. Then you will have a better Idea what to look for. When I bought my B5, I had no fear because of my previous VW/Audi ownership. SOmeone that doesn't understand what these bad boys bring to the table sometimes....They get some hefty hefty bills. You can find good, quality Audi's. You just have to know what to look for. Research it my friend. You won't regret the A4, I promise you that.

dmaize
10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
SAAB IS A SATURN. GM BABY. yuck imo

////D
10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
it all depends on how well the car has been maintained by the previous owner, every car out there needs attn, i got my 98 a4 1.8t with 46k on it, its been babied all its life and premium all its life, ive had no problems with it at all, im in IL here so the awd option will be great for me.......as for jettas being chick cars, i laugh at the guy who said that, ive owned 2 mk4s in the past and loved them, i still wish i had my vr6 jetta. and the is300 you will be stuck in winter being a rwd, i say keep looking for a car, if money isnt an issue look into an R32, those are awesome!!

trbo4
10-22-2007, 09:06 AM
I have the exact same car for sale if you are interested. Only 63k miles and I have never had one issue with the car. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167297
These really are good cars.