PDA

View Full Version : does cam tensioner affect power?

audiholix
10-12-2007, 05:01 PM
So, I got my new dv installed today and was told that the air flow meter was fine. Vag didn't read lean codes anymore but on my way home it still feel that I'm missing alot of power. My cam tensioner is making noises and needs to be replaced but my question is , can a faulty cam tensioner affect performance or boost? car seems to be running stock k03s hp w/ giac x chip . Anyone know where to source a new cam tensioner for AWM engines for $300ish?

tunerb5
10-12-2007, 05:22 PM
what kind of noise does cam tensioner make?

audiholix
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
It's a loud rattling/knocking noise. Jose from euro-tech said it's shot so it's definitely shot but I was just wondering if the cam tensioner would mess with power if it's faulty.. not pulling on 1st or 2nd at all but vag is not showing any problems. I think cam tensioner is retarding the timings ... any inputs? just want to make sure that the giac x chip isn't THIS slow.

audiholix
10-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Also, is this the correct part?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Audi-A4-Quattro-TT-1-8-Cam-Timing-Chain-Tensioner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQihZ019 QQitemZ290169540788QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

man, this b5 has gone through about $2000 in repairs since it hit 60k.. timing belt kit, cam tensioner and I'm assuming fuel filter will have to be replaced soon as well and we all know how much that costs on a quattro (2.5hr labor) [down]

Ewok_Fetus
10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Those people are good!! I buy from them all the time... But really, it won't make a difference in power... The X chip needs to learn, so give it time...

audiFUEGO
10-12-2007, 08:11 PM
i think u should get that tensioner replaced asap

audiholix
10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i think u should get that tensioner replaced asap

Yea, car is going to sit in the garage until the part arrives which should take 5 days to the west coast.

I know the x-chip has to learn but i've had that x-chip in there for 3 months now and i really don't feel much of a difference. If I had a faulty DV or maf in there while the x-chip was trying to learn , any way to reset it and redo it? Too bad when I brought it in to wicked motorsports to get the chip put in they didn't bother to run VAG or check if the car had problems even though I specifically asked. I was literally in and out in 30 mins and car has been boosting like 5-6 psi as it turns out for months.

audiFUEGO
10-12-2007, 08:39 PM
do you have a boost gauge?

You can reset the "learn" by clearing touble codes

audiholix
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea, just recently put my boost gauge in. So every time the trouble codes are reset the x-chip has to learn again? is that correct? if that's the case then I guess it'll take a bit more driving on my part to get it to re-learn.