PDA

View Full Version : Noo... Help meeee decide :)

nstabl
10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, I came across this 2000 A4 its Black on Black with black 18" rims-(nothing fancy) .. 5 speed, 110000 miles on chasis, 40,000 on rebuilt motor..

Turbo is Seized.

Body not in perfect condition, and needs a new front bumper

The car seems to be running ok, I test drove it, but of course nooo power because the turbo isn't working

He said when they replaced the motor they used the old turbo (which was working at the time) and ever since then it hasn't worked

He wanted $6125 and I got him down to $4600. The car is salvaged (He thinks it was stolen but he doesn't know) ... Car drives pretty straight but not perfect.. pulls a little to the right

I really want this car those of you who know me on here know this is very similar to what I've been looking for and I really don't have a budget for anything more than this. What do you guys think?

TIA

golgo13
10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Pics? And if your on a budget I would say noooo way dont do it buddy. Im sure you can get something way better than that if you just take your time. Just my .02

////D
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
check carfax and find out what its salvaged for? whats the reason for turbo seizing? no oil? for a salvaged car with a seized motor i still think 4600 is a lil high, try to get him down even lower if possible

nstabl
10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
check carfax and find out what its salvaged for? whats the reason for turbo seizing? no oil? for a salvaged car with a seized motor i still think 4600 is a lil high, try to get him down even lower if possible

yea def will try!! i saw a 1999 in great condition for 6000.. bluebook was $10,000. This guy, the bluebook is $6000 WITH A CLEAN TITLE and he wants around that for it...

here are some pics

http://images.craigslist.org/0101100102000103012007100409656b750aeb8a4b96002473 .jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/010112010202010412200710048c20d6a898625b3d380055cd .jpg

nstabl
10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Pics? And if your on a budget I would say noooo way dont do it buddy. Im sure you can get something way better than that if you just take your time. Just my .02

Thanks man you're right, but this is something I can def work on as time passes by. eventually the body work, s4 front and rear bumpers ;) but you're right, its gonna be hard cuz im on a budget.

a4speed
10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
yeah if you get the price down, k03 turbos are really cheap.

a4speed
10-08-2007, 12:52 PM
def. wouldn't drive it around until the new turbo works though.

nstabl
10-08-2007, 12:59 PM
def. wouldn't drive it around until the new turbo works though.

heh he said he's been drivin it like that for a while now... no CEL

golgo13
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Those wheels look huge. Or is that just me???

nstabl
10-08-2007, 01:06 PM
18s... and fat tires ( too fat, i dont like em ) id rather thinner tires and a clean drop. it prob look big cuz the rims are black and you cant tell wehre the tires actually wrap around

a4speed
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
tell him you'll buy it for $4k, since you have to replace the turbo. and tell him to stop driving it.

nstabl
10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
tell him you'll buy it for $4k, since you have to replace the turbo. and tell him to stop driving it.

ill tell him.. he said he wont budge from 4600 though :/ i hope he accepts. maybe ill have him come here and check this thread out

a4speed
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
if he wont budge then tell him you'll buy it for $4600 if he replaces the turbo and that he is just damaging the car even worse buy driving it around.

nstabl
10-08-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks for the advice!! I'll see what I can get this car for :)

aytheory
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Audi without a history is just asking for it - unless you own one, do all of your own work before and going for your second one - i would not recomend it

maxspeed
10-08-2007, 03:47 PM
4600? why the fuck not..

////D
10-08-2007, 03:57 PM
4600? why the fuck not..

have you read the above?

onemoremile
10-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Poor condition with a rebuilt engine and an already bad turbo. Sounds like this car has a history of owners that are either neglectful or ignorant. Either way it sound like a money pit project.

nstabl
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
well here is a big detail I left out that might make you guys more on the side of buying the car... i didn't say this at first because I wanted to show the guy this thread and see if he'll budge any more, but at this point he's sticking it at 4600 and not gonna change it. I had a 04 passat which I recently totalled ..

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2244000-2244999/2244168_4_full.jpg

;(

and I had a disco potatooooo (GT28RS) in it for about 6 months - which was in perfect condition after the accident, and now sitting in my room waiting to be installed into whatever car comes next. this turbo will only fit another passat b5-b5.5 or audi a4 ... not a gti, not a jetta. i dont want anything but an audi..this car is the perfect candidate for my turbo,,, especially cuz the turbo is BAD on the car and thats exactly what I have on hand..

the reason I didn't say this earlier is because if the guy woulda read the thread he would have known i have a turbo already when at the same time i wasting it as leverage to bring the price down....

the car is a 5speed which is muchh harder to find than an automatic ,, and an a4 for under 5k is hard to say no to!! .. heres a vid of my passat

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfN2WuLa764

and a lil 360 i did ...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-y9kC-qZ4Y

anyway, with all that said, who says go for it, and who says to still stay away from this 'moneypit'...... which is another thing im afraid of this turning into because i dont have too much money to put into the car as of right now ..

thanks guys

Trivet710
10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
How much do ko3 turbos go for? would I have to put a chip in before turbo?

onemoremile
10-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Take a good long look at the rest of the car. Add up whatever suspension or interior work needs to be done. Look for ABS light, bad wheel bearing or control arm, funny noises when locking and unlocking the car, body damage, evidence of poor worksmanship, etc..

If everything else is good then you have a great candidate. If it needs more than is apparent it could lose it's value status quickly.

SoFresh
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I wouldnt pay more then $3400 for the car in its current condition. After the work you put into it to make it decent again, its going to end up costing you more than blue book value... and then after all that work, its not worth a dime since its still a salvaged title.

gaith
10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I wouldnt pay more then $3400 for the car in its current condition. After the work you put into it to make it decent again, its going to end up costing you more than blue book value... and then after all that work, its not worth a dime since its still a salvaged title.

good point!
unless you dont care how much you sink into it, and just enjoy fixing it, then pay $4600!
certainly not an investment thu.....

lml999
10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Moneypit. Figure $2K in repairs on a clean Audi. This one's been run hard and put away wet.

I'll be there's $3k in repairs waiting on this car.

nstabl
10-09-2007, 07:00 PM
damn it.....you guys are all right!!!!! but im just afraid to try and find another one, thats black, and 5 speed. or silver, and 5 speed. i dont know when that will be and i need a car assaapppp.... maybe ill just look a little bit more online.. the other thing is i only have about 5000..................... and thats alll

any other ideas ??

Euro-Tuner
10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I honestly would not do that...$46oo for a salvaged, not running, far from mint, high mileage, almost 8 year old car.....you'll find the deal your looking for if you wait it out, picked up my 2000 for $5,5oo and the body was in A+ condition, ran mint, looked mint, high miles, well kept...they're out there, dont settle for shit, and its obviously been beaten, buy an a4 from a granny or a soccer mom, thats where its at!!!

4ringAR
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
if you look on audizine and the fourtitude, there are quite a few silver and black a4's that pop up. keep looking and wait until the right one comes along.

nstabl
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
i got about 3 - 5 days before i get the money.. so i will take your advice.. let me see what i can find :) this car does have a new timing belt, waterpump, etc,, but yea with all other stuff in mind i really should look for another.. i mean the whole reason i came here for verification was cuz i knew myself the car wasn't too great.. ugh ok thanks guys

im in so cal, hopefully i can find something close by

B5Burn
10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Carfax carfax carfax... did I miss the post where you did this step? please do background search. A salvage could mean anything from too much hail damage (which is an easy fix) to being driven into a lake... where some week end mech fixed/replaced he electrical... whatever, please just do the due diligence thing!! Only costs like <$100, do eeeet!

nstabl
10-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Carfax carfax carfax... did I miss the post where you did this step? please do background search. A salvage could mean anything from too much hail damage (which is an easy fix) to being driven into a lake... where some week end mech fixed/replaced he electrical... whatever, please just do the due diligence thing!! Only costs like <$100, do eeeet!

i know but no one that i know has carfax!!! and i dont want to spend a $100 that im short on when im not even sure if im getting that car.. but its so worth it if im 99% sure im getting it. i guess i can do it as a last thing before making the deal final.... thanks for the advice.... how accurate is carfax though?

B5Burn
10-10-2007, 05:10 AM
There are a cpl places I believe that do the same thing as Carfax - it's a service you pay for, I don't know what you mean about no one you know having it... and it is not a guarantee, and it does rely on information heading through certain channels for it to register with these services... but really on a $5000 car, $100 is a very affordable piece of mind. Unless you have a really strong relationship with a good mechanic who could spot suspicious things - that would be another very strong option in addition to the advice you're getting here.

To buy a car that has a cpl glaring issue's makes me wonder what his hiding underneath. A car with in good shape with no obvious problems may have an unexpected problem pop up, simply due to age, but a car that has been driven hard (assumption, because you just don't know) and put away wet, as has been mentioned, sets off more than a few alarm bells. A car is worth more than the sum of its parts and what it could be.. find a car that is solid, imho. Opening a big can of worms with having to do repairs before you can even drive it.

Good luck

audiness
10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I bought my car for cheap with a blown tubo. replaced that a few other minor things and it runs awesome now. (thanks to a K04)

B5Burn
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
But did it also have a recently blown motor, been declared slavage, pull a little (possibly just an alignment, but could be due to a serious side impact) and did you buy it from a person who was foggy on its history?

Just wanting this to go straight.. I know a lot of people who buy dead cars and have the means of fixing them for sale and most had been written off due to cosmetic repair costs VS the bb value of the car... they sell them with full disclosure... cars aren't declared salvage just because "it may have been stolen".

onemoremile
10-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Does anybody do any research before they start throwing numbers around? Carfax is 24.99 for a single report and 29.99 for unlimited.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/purchase_options.cfm

Carfax only reports what was reported to them. If a dealer serviced something under the table or it went to an independent mechanic it might not show.

FWIW, my car was totaled in January and I put it back together. It still has a clean title (MI salvage titles are only for 2001 and up) and no carfax history.

B5Burn
10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I am assuming this is aimed at me, when I mentioned $100, I was originally stating "background search" AND "due diligence", since I also stated that it needs to be reported for it to be effective, in Canada we have more than 1 service to check into ontop of a proper inspection by a mechanic, so about $100 for a little homework to review all the details you could find (Carfax, mechanic, other service) . No one is 'throwing numbers around'. May not uncover everything, which is why a relationship with a good mechanic is also key.

nstabl
10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
ughhh I wanted this http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159840 but now im not getting any money for a few more weeks. it would have been a great candidate for me.. thanks guys ill talk to you in a few weeks when i get some funds

Tifun
10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Does anybody do any research before they start throwing numbers around? Carfax is 24.99 for a single report and 29.99 for unlimited.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/purchase_options.cfm

Carfax only reports what was reported to them. If a dealer serviced something under the table or it went to an independent mechanic it might not show.

FWIW, my car was totaled in January and I put it back together. It still has a clean title (MI salvage titles are only for 2001 and up) and no carfax history.
There's a class action law suit going on about carfax and it's unreliability and inaccuracy.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/carfax_suit.html I know I bought my ///M3 and the carfax was clean, however when after about 6 months of owner ship I noticed some frame rail issues when I had the front clip off....I don't trust the carfax as far as I can throw it.