PDA

View Full Version : Can't pull out factory head unit, keys don't work, help!

StreetUrchin
10-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, wanted to have my IceLink installed at my audio shop today and they got 3 of the 4 keys in and "latched" onto the clips with no problem. The 4th though (top right slit) would not latch, no matter what he tried to do. Then I took to to Best Buy, where the guy tried and had the same problem.

So one of the clips is bent/broken. What can I do here? Both places said the next option is to take apart the entire dash and trim around the headunit to pop it out. I really don't want to spend the $$$ for that, what are my options?

DGAFxxx
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
sucks to be you, I had the same problem, had to take my dash apart, it took forever. I dont think there is another way around it.

darth tater
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
jam your fingers in to the tape deck if your radio has one (I think those do right???) and just insert the tools, yank with your fingers in the tape deck and one of the tools that is staying engaged.

turboA4
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
i had the same problem too...except 3 clips were broken....i had to snap the faceplate off and get in it that way....

StreetUrchin
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
i had the same problem too...except 3 clips were broken....i had to snap the faceplate off and get in it that way....

How did you go about doing that?

Silver streak
10-05-2007, 12:06 AM
So one of the clips is bent/broken. What can I do here? Both places said the next option is to take apart the entire dash and trim around the headunit to pop it out. I really don't want to spend the $$$ for that, what are my options?

This is exactly what you have to do . I have a RNS-E nav. going in to my B5 S4 and they had to take my dash apart to get the head unit out because one pin did not work.[headbang]

StreetUrchin
10-05-2007, 12:25 AM

This is exactly what you have to do . I have a RNS-E nav. going in to my B5 S4 and they had to take my dash apart to get the head unit out because one pin did not work.[headbang]

*takes deep breath*

While I see your point, I consider AZ, not "shops" to be my go-to when it comes to Audi information. The shop wants to make $$, on AZ you can often find answers to problems at a lower monetary cost. I do realize that taking apart the trim may be an inevitability, however there is never anything wrong with asking a question about something which you know little about.

burner799
10-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Had the same problem with my second one now....its bullshit. Had to take apart my whole center console which isn't bad except for some of the plastic clips i broke that still bug me. good luck!

kextyn
10-05-2007, 05:31 AM
I had the same exact problem. I spent a good 3-4 hours trying to do a simple 5 minute job. I'm really not sure how I eventually got it out, but I did a lot of wiggling and pulling pretty hard. I don't know why I didn't try the tape deck as a handle because the tools were hurting my fingers.

Don Supreme
10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
^ I am in the same freakin' boat... I hate this #$%#$%#$#$

I drove all the way to h20 with no radio. I am really getting tired of this!!

StreetUrchin
10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, took it to another shop and with some of your suggestions (and 2 guys and a flathead screwdriver) we were able to pry out the corner that was stuck while we pulled the keys on the others. Came out! Have it installed in the glove box now, until I get the appropriate mounting bracket.

Russell2686
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
yeah man that shit blows, i had the same problem when i went to install my icelink, i took it to like 4 places and they were all like" ummm i cant get it out i dont know what to tell you," i jammed a bunch of crap in there, i even ripped the faceplate off, eventually i jammed something in there and yanked it out, broke those fuckin clips now it comes out by pulling on the tape deck, %^$# that radio...

StreetUrchin
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
%^$# that radio...

Lol amen brother