PDA

View Full Version : alot a question.....

slackerboy88
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
alrighty guys just some question. o by the way if you didn't know im a big newb in audi so yea any answers would be great. okay here we go. i have an audi(obviously) 2000 1.8t quattro. i have gotten into a accident and the exhaust is bent. at the muffler. i was wondering what kind of after market exhaust should i go for? i am planning on going with bigger turbo after i save some money and learn some more about audi's. also i am planning on chipping the car as well. i've been reading alot about giac and other ones but i can't think of it right now. which one is good and which one would be the "best bang for my buck". Also i've been reading alot about fmic and it seems that everyone is going for ebay fmic. how are they? are they really worth it or should i just go for some named brand? well any suggestion or answer would be great. thanks in advance.

audiFUEGO
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
1. Exhaust: Go for Borla V2, I have and i love it. The tips are the closest to OEM look that ive seen and it sound completely amazing. It will also add value to your car, unlike going with custom exhaust setups.

2. Chip: Chipping is the best bang of the buck mod. Before you buy ur chip, i would research a bit and see which turbo upgrade you are going to want down the road. Then go with a chip from the same company. Usually if you chip with a company like GIAC or APR, they will upgrade your software for little to no cost if you ever choose to go to a bigger turbo setup.

3. FMIC: The cheapest way is to get a custom FMIC setup from ebay. It will save you around $1000 on parts. Along with that discount, however, comes ALOT of work. Instead of buying a plug and play application from APR etc that will pretty much require minimal dremeling, you will be buying a raw kit that you will have to fit yourself. You will have to cut your own pipes and make your own supports. Its not hard, especially if your mechanically inclined and have the right tools. I have an ebay FMIC and i love it... but it took about 5 hours to install, and my dad has a garage will ALL the tools I needed.

Hope that helps.
For the future, you can use the "search" function to look thru old posts and 99% of the time you can find a thread about the exact info that your looking for. You can learn alot about your car with the search feature.

slackerboy88
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
1. Exhaust: Go for Borla V2, I have and i love it. The tips are the closest to OEM look that ive seen and it sound completely amazing. It will also add value to your car, unlike going with custom exhaust setups.

2. Chip: Chipping is the best bang of the buck mod. Before you buy ur chip, i would research a bit and see which turbo upgrade you are going to want down the road. Then go with a chip from the same company. Usually if you chip with a company like GIAC or APR, they will upgrade your software for little to no cost if you ever choose to go to a bigger turbo setup.

3. FMIC: The cheapest way is to get a custom FMIC setup from ebay. It will save you around $1000 on parts. Along with that discount, however, comes ALOT of work. Instead of buying a plug and play application from APR etc that will pretty much require minimal dremeling, you will be buying a raw kit that you will have to fit yourself. You will have to cut your own pipes and make your own supports. Its not hard, especially if your mechanically inclined and have the right tools. I have an ebay FMIC and i love it... but it took about 5 hours to install, and my dad has a garage will ALL the tools I needed.

Hope that helps.
For the future, you can use the "search" function to look thru old posts and 99% of the time you can find a thread about the exact info that your looking for. You can learn alot about your car with the search feature.

well one thing for sure i can tell you is that i have absolutly no mechanical skills. well maybe just a little bit. For the exhaust sound is it loud or is it ricey loud? Also i heard from people that Audi has different stuff on it so I would have to buy differents tool then ordinary tools...is that true? Well at the moment I've been thinking about K04 but i was wondering does that do alot? I think i will be going with GIAC chipping but how does that work? I have no sodering skills so I don't want to mess up the ecu because I know it is expencive. What company are there that makes good fmic for audi? I know abdracing but i just want to find out more.
Also I do search alot and read alot of the pages. Its just I want to get some more opinion and alot of up to date information. Well thanks AudiFUEGO for the information. Greatly appriciated [up]

Poopie
10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
things to consider, chipping for a 2000 is actually a remap thats flashed onto your ecu. you will need to take your car to a shop to have i flashed. check out apr, giac, and unitronics and find a place that is closest to you. GIAC offers the more aggressive tune and not too many people use unitronics.

Tools you need are in metric and depending on what you are working on, a decent craftsman mechanics set will do.

speedydragon
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
dalbach has the most aggressive tune for the k03 and k04 if that matters ^.^

Oricle
10-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Hope that helps.

[confused]
What the fuck. An exhaust actually adding value to a car? Sorry to tell you, but slapping a V2 Borla exhaust on, wont add value to a car.

a4speed
10-02-2007, 11:50 PM
how much hp you looking to reach. a k04 is a k03 with a slightly larger compressor, the k03s can produce up to 220 hp while the k04 can produce 225, not that much more.

to be honest, if you want some good power, save up for a good bt setup.

Poopie
10-02-2007, 11:59 PM
how much hp you looking to reach. a k04 is a k03 with a slightly larger compressor, the k03s can produce up to 220 hp while the k04 can produce 225, not that much more.

to be honest, if you want some good power, save up for a good bt setup.

false

a4speed
10-03-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been sick of posting this and the same info over and over again and people dont seem to get it. So ill just post the info strait from Borg Warner

FROM BORG WARNER

"thank you for your interest in our products.

First of all, we don't produce any turbo that we call K03S. But I hope I can
answer your questions with the following explanations.
All the following turbos have the same installation dimensions and
thermodynamical performance. The differences are only in the actuator that
opens the turbine bypass valve:
K03-011 (5303 988 0011) 150 hp, 65 N actuator
K03-026 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-035 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-044 150 hp, 65 N actuator
K03-045 156 hp (Ibiza Cupra), 85 N actuator with 2 ports
K03-049 150 hp (Sharan/Alhambra), 65 N actuator
The 180 hp versions have an actuator with a higher opening force due to the
higher exhaust gas pressure (which is a consequence of the higher boost
pressure). Otherwise the valve would be pushed open by the exhaust gas
pressure.
The following turbos are a further development (since 2000) and have an
improved and slightly larger compressor while using the same turbine (still
with the same installation dimensions):
K03-052 180 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-053 150 hp, 85 N actuator
K03-058 150 hp/180 hp, 85 N actuator
Consequentially, putting a 180 hp turbo on a 150 hp engine will not bring
about any change in performance, but putting on a K03-052/053/058 instead of
the older versions will bring a slight improvement in engine efficiency.
Additionally, with re-mapping the ECU you can achieve about 215 hp without
danger of overspeeding the turbo. With the older turbos, 195 hp is the
limit.
With the K04 that's also commonly used (5304 950 0001) the power output
should not be more than 220 hp. That means, changing a K03-052/053/058
against a K04 does not make a lot of sense.

I hope that these details answer your questions. If you need more info, one
of our service distributors will be glad to help you. Their addresses are on
our website http://www.turbodriven.com.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,
BorgWarner Turbo Systems GMBH"

a4speed
10-03-2007, 12:05 AM
yeah, i was slightly wrong.

k03's can product up to 215 and the k04 can go up to 220. the k04 has a slightly larger compressor but the same turbine, how is that false?

just save for a gt series like poopie has :)

Poopie
10-03-2007, 12:18 AM
the exhaust side is different as well. I've compared a k03 and a k04 in person and i've tried to swap parts. a k04 on an agressive tune can make 250+ hp or about 200 whp. A chipped k03 with an exhaust will make 210 at best. I agree, if you are looking for power, go with a larger turbo. For reliability, a k04 is a good option.

a4speed
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
the exhaust side is different as well. I've compared a k03 and a k04 in person and i've tried to swap parts. a k04 on an agressive tune can make 250+ hp or about 200 whp. A chipped k03 with an exhaust will make 210 at best. I agree, if you are looking for power, go with a larger turbo. For reliability, a k04 is a good option.

yeah i agree, thats why i said if he was looking for big hp don't go for the k04, but oh well.

your gt series isn't that bad though, it probably spools closer to 3500-4000 rpms where the k03 and k04 spool up really quick in the 2k range. so as far as daily driving goes, the gt could be better, unless your gunning it all the time, then its probably not [:)]

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 07:01 AM
[confused]
What the fuck. An exhaust actually adding value to a car? Sorry to tell you, but slapping a V2 Borla exhaust on, wont add value to a car.

Your wrong. Borla even advertises it in their magazine ads. A borla system is a complete exhaust system. It doesnt cancel the cat, it comes with a bendpipe, a high flow resonator, and a high flow muffler.

Borla is just like OEM, but highflow and which makes the car breathe and function better. [;)]

Welding some pipes together and slapping on a magnaflow muffler is what will depreciate your value, not a $1000 exhaust system.

Oricle
10-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Your wrong. Borla even advertises it in their magazine ads. A borla system is a complete exhaust system. It doesnt cancel the cat, it comes with a bendpipe, a high flow resonator, and a high flow muffler.

Borla is just like OEM, but highflow and which makes the car breathe and function better. [;)]

Welding some pipes together and slapping on a magnaflow muffler is what will depreciate your value, not a $1000 exhaust system.

An exhaust system is a exhaust system. None of these parts are going to be worth shit when anyone here goes to resale their cars.

crono35
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
yeah, i was slightly wrong.

k03's can product up to 215 and the k04 can go up to 220. the k04 has a slightly larger compressor but the same turbine, how is that false?

just save for a gt series like poopie has :)

Peak HP numbers are deceiving. K04 will keep pulling when the K03 has run out of breath, which is the only reason I chose it in the first place. Granted it still runs out, just not as early.

Poopie
10-03-2007, 11:39 AM

a borla is a $500 exhaust system. In a stock type application like a chipped k03 or a k04 the borla is fine. If you are selling a modded car, a magnaflow won't depreciate the value of the car. c'mon, don't you have an ebay FMIC?

slackerboy88
10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
wow thanks for all these replies. well here it goes. I know for a fact now that i am going to be chipping my car pretty soon. also i was thinking/deciding that should i get a k04 for the time being or should i just wait and buy a big turbo. I really want my car to be faster then my brother. he is going to be getting a 2006 STI so yea any opinion out there. hey poopie just a question for you well first off i love your sig awesome! o the questino is how is racetec fmic? how much is it? well thanks again everybody for your time and all the answer.

SoFresh
10-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Sorry to tell you... aftermarket parts, no matter what they are or whom makes them, they don't "add" value to your car. They actually decrease the value in a car. However, someone who is looking for a car that has some aftermarket parts on it that they are interested in, can help you get more money when resaling your car.

Thats why its smart to part out your aftermarket parts and put back on stock parts before selling your car if you want to make back the highest buck.

An exhaust system is a exhaust system. None of these parts are going to be worth shit when anyone here goes to resale their cars.

Well said, and that is that. Sad but true.

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Borla is world-known to have the best and most emissions friendly exhaust systems. Some cars even come OEM with borla. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference between a complete borla setup and a custom magnaflow setup.

Borla come with a million mile warranty. That alone speaks for itself. Thats like saying that installing bilstein struts will depreciate the value [rolleyes]

A direct quote form Borla themselves:

A BORLA muffler actually flows better than a straight pipe. This also translates to fuel economy.

And i do have an ebay FMIC... what does that have to do with exhaust systems?

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 01:11 PM
and a borla system costs ~$650... plus 2 hours of labor to install. plus tax

comes out to be ~ $1000 exhaust system.

Poopie
10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
A Borla is a decent exhaust...no argument there. But to say it adds more value over any other exhaust, custom or not, is stupid. When was the last time someone was selling a car with a borla and someone said "OOOHH!! wow a borla, lemme give you some more money." We aren't talking about labor either, because labor does not add "value" to a car either. Adding any parts will increase the price of the car, significant or not. To say a magnaflow decreases the value since it isn't borla made is ridiculous. Flow wise, are you saying an exhaust with 2.25in piping with 2 mufflers will flow better then a 3in catback with two high flow magnaflow mufflers? Mine is a a straight through muffler and I can stick my arm through to the other side.

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Please done get me wrong here, I am not saying theres anything wrong with having custom magnaflow.

And I'm definately not saying that if your spend $1000 total on a borla exhaust, it allows you to resell your car for $9000 instead of $8000.

I guess what i was trying to say is that borla wont depreciate as much as a custom exhaust. If you, or I, or anyone else was looking to buy a modded A4, and it came down to choosing between two: one with custom magnaflow, and one with borla, the latter one would probably be the better choice (considering both cars in the same condition.)

Same way, if you saw a car with a racetec FMIC and another with a custom FMIC, you would probably want to buy the more expensive, more professionally tested item.

Im not bashing magnaflow... its a necessary item for your BT and nice cheap way to get a decent exhaust system on your car.

a4speed
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
wow thanks for all these replies. well here it goes. I know for a fact now that i am going to be chipping my car pretty soon. also i was thinking/deciding that should i get a k04 for the time being or should i just wait and buy a big turbo. I really want my car to be faster then my brother. he is going to be getting a 2006 STI so yea any opinion out there. hey poopie just a question for you well first off i love your sig awesome! o the questino is how is racetec fmic? how much is it? well thanks again everybody for your time and all the answer.

If you want to beat an STI then don't buy a k04, save your money for the bt and supporting mods. then you'll be able to stomp his @ss.

thats a long argument about borla exhaust right there!

Poopie
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
reminds me of the fast and furious tokyo drift when the kid in the viper looks over and revs his engine and says "its got a borla exhaust"

a4speed
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
reminds me of the fast and furious tokyo drift when the kid in the viper looks over and revs his engine and says "its got a borla exhaust"

haha yeah, ill tell ya, with all the mods ive done, my car is easily worth $25k, and thats with 110k miles on my car!

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM

[:)]Im sure that was a funny scene, i dont know, ive never seen that movie.

haha yeah, ill tell ya, with all the mods ive done, my car is easily worth $25k, and thats with 110k miles on my car!

Thanks for the smart comment. I noticed you also have a custom magnaflow. [rolleyes]

slackerboy88
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
haha speaking of fast and the furious tokyo drift....i was just watching that last night lol. well either way i know for a fact i will be buying a bigger turbo after winter. but i guess im going to go chipping pretty soon :) thanks again for everybody advice/opinion.

Poopie
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
If you are going with a big turbo HOLD OFF ON THE CHIPPING. You will just end up waisting your money. PES is now the GIAC BT program but it is unclear whether you can upgrade for a small fee or if you can only purchase the software with their turbo kit. For now, plan for the future. Do you think you are piecing the kit together yourself?

audiFUEGO
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
i pieced together my k04 hammer and it bought me a 6 week headache.

I'm currently waiting to see if its better or not after todays work.

pipe7284
10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Dont buy the k04, save until you can afford the BT i would recommend the same as poopie, a gt2871r kit. i wanna go for the same.
Regarding chipping the car right now, i say go for it, you`ll have alot more fun than staying stock, when you go BT you can also sale it throught the classifieds, as a matter of fact, go to the classifieds right now and start looking for a chipped ECU for your 2000 A4.

slackerboy88
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
wow i didn't think it would be that bad if i chipped it right now. well thanks for the advice i guess i should look for a chipped ecu. how much do those usually go for? are there certain things i should look for? as in what kind is it that would fit or work with my car? also if i chip it would i have to put performance parts in or is it alright to run it stock? as for the fmic how is racetec? thanks again guys. im really learning alot now :P

slackerboy88
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163251
what do you guys think?

a4speed
10-03-2007, 11:06 PM
if he shows you plenty of good pics then it might be a good idea.