PDA

View Full Version : FMIC to throttle body upper pipe

_audible_
10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Does anyone actually make a hard pipe to go here or are the only upgrade options a stronger rubber hose or a diy set up? I'd like to get rid of the rubber hose and have a hard pipe there instead. Anyone else?

pipe7284
10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
were are you getting the piping from?
there is a pipe kit on ebay, that replaces those hoses, people keep the rubber ones becasue its easier to work with.

AudiSport12
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
im assuming you have a prefabbed FMIC kit instead of a DIY kit. im sure you could find the correct bend pipe on ebay and put it in.

from my DIY kit
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF0908.jpg

_audible_
10-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I have a FMIC from Racetec/SPP. That's exactly what I am looking for, but for some reason ebay slipped my mind completely. What length did you use when you did your diy? I could cut it if it's too long, but I don't want to end up with something too short.

onemoremile
10-02-2007, 10:10 AM
There is the Samco but it isn't all that solid. If you run a hard pipe to the smic you should also upgrade your engine mounts to limit engine movement. Otherwise that engine is twisting against that pipe and bad things are inevitable. Less engine twist means less movement has to be incorporated into the design. A fmic is more forgiving since the piping is longer but the same rules apply.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_0785.jpg

_audible_
10-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't have a smic. The problem with running a hardpipe like the one pictured above ^^ is his bends straight down into the ic pipe where my ic pipe actually makes a 90 degree turn and then back up again before bending one more time into the throttle body. I'd either have to cut my ic pipe to be pointing straight up for the hardpipe to clamp to or run one of those samco hoses. I'd rather cut the ic pipe and use a hardpipe.

The only pipe I found on ebay is 2.75". Isn't the throttle body 3"? My ic piping is 2.5". So, if I get a 2.75" pipe, a 3"-2.75" coupler and a 2.75"-2.5" coupler I should be good to go right?

Sorry if that's confusing to read.

AudiSport12
10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a FMIC from Racetec/SPP. That's exactly what I am looking for, but for some reason ebay slipped my mind completely. What length did you use when you did your diy? I could cut it if it's too long, but I don't want to end up with something too short.

im not sure of the exact length of the pipe i used. its just a 45 degree pipe. just cut it the slightest amount until you get the correct length you need so you dont get it too short. i dont know where the racetec fmic piping ends so i cant say how long of a pipe you'll need.

if it helps:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF0911.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF0910.jpg

AudiSport12
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't have a smic. The problem with running a hardpipe like the one pictured above ^^ is his bends straight down into the ic pipe where my ic pipe actually makes a 90 degree turn and then back up again before bending one more time into the throttle body. I'd either have to cut my ic pipe to be pointing straight up for the hardpipe to clamp to or run one of those samco hoses. I'd rather cut the ic pipe and use a hardpipe.

The only pipe I found on ebay is 2.75". Isn't the throttle body 3"? My ic piping is 2.5". So, if I get a 2.75" pipe, a 3"-2.75" coupler and a 2.75"-2.5" coupler I should be good to go right?

Sorry if that's confusing to read.

no the TB is 2.5". i guess your racetec piping is 2.5? just keep looking for a 2.5" pipe and that way you wont have to mess with reducers.

if you cant find one, email kevin@cxracing.com and tell him exactly what you need. thats where i got my piping from and they have everything.

_audible_
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah. I'm just going to order a 45 degree angle pipe and cut it to fit like mentioned. Seems to be the easiest way to make it and looks best. I think my ic piping is either 2" or 2.25", it's been awhile, I'll have to measure it. Either way, if it's smaller than 2.5" I could just use one reducer. Thanks for the pics and info.