PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this problem. Wierd noise

Kronic Budz
10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok well ill start by telling you guys what kind of audi i just bought acouple days ago.

Its a 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5 speed. It has 111k miles on it and i bought it for $5900. Black on black. Very clean and i love the car. Audis FTW.

Ok, well when i drive around town i hear this almost clunking noise or rattle noise coming from the front drivers side. It sounds like its at the top of the suspension where the noise comes from. I dont no weather its ball joints, control arms, shocks, suspension parts just rubbing together, shock mounts or w.e the hell it is. But ill i know is , is that it doesnt sound "normal". Because even my friend said that he can hear it to. It is only when i hit small put holes or w.e around the pavement. Little bumps hear and there wont make the sound reveal itself.

Its barley noticeable unless u really try and listen for it with the music off. Im really worried that i may be in for a really expensive repair coming up. And that wont be good because i just spent all my money on this car. Will this sound get worse? Should i have a mechanic check it out. What do u guys reccomend i do. I do have mechanical experience but i do not have anywhere to put my car up and inspect it. What would be the cheapest route in figuring out what is going on.

NOTE: I do not hear it at all when i turn the wheel back and forth, Driving on the freeway, braking, accelerating, shifting, and my suspension feels very nice as it is besides this little noise.

I do need to get all my wheels alligned though because at above 70mph on the freeway my wheel starts to shake alittle, so thats being fixed today.

Thanks guys, any help will benefit me.

Noah

odd_fried_eggs
10-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Perhaps this won't help you at all since mine isn't A) Quattro, B) Left hand drive, or C) Manual, but about two years ago my '99 A4 2.4 started making some shitty noises on the left hand side in the suspension.
I had exactly the same thing with the clunks but we could only hear it at low speed, on tarmac roads, but with the smallest of bumps. Stop-start in traffic was great for being able to hear it.

It seems to have been fixed now, eventually, here's a list of what the Audi Stealership reckoned was the problem (or at least, what they could charge me for whilst still seeming to fix the problem).

All prices in Australian dollars, currently fetching about US$0.85

120,000KM:
REMOVE STONES FROM UNDER CARRIAGE OF CAR.
Do they think I'm that stupid?
About $60 of labour.

135,000KM:
SQUEAK NOISE FROM SUSPENSION
FOUND SUB-FRAME BRACKET RUBBING ON BODY OF CAR - ADJUST AS REQUIRED AND RETEST
That was about $200 of labour, no parts.

150,000KM:
CHECK FOR NOISE WHEN TURNING RIGHT
FOUND DRIVESHAFT JOINT NOISY
REMOVED DRIVESHAFT AND REPLACED OUTER DRIVESHAFT JOINT
REPLACED LOWER SPOILER AND STONE TRAY
Yes, they do think I'm that stupid...
Driveshaft joint replace and fit, $280. Stone tray $120, fitted $70.

180,000KM:
REMOVE LH DRIVESHAFT AS REQUIRED AND DISASSEMBLE
REPLACE OUTER DUST BOOT AS REQUIRED. REFIT SHAFT AND RETEST.
ALL OK.
REPLACED BOTH WORN FRONT TIE ROD ENDS AND CARRY OUT WHEEL ALIGNMENT.
Tie rod ends, two at $101 each. Boot kit, $50. Fitted and aligned for $700.

So, from the beginning, having a similar sound coming from my front left, to the end, no sound, it cost me $1581. Who knows which one of them was the actual problem.

Sorry I can be of limited help. Good luck.

Another B5A4
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
If its a definite *clunk*, usually means a ball joint is on its way out- usually one of the lower ones (lower rear goes more often to my knowledge)... repair costs can vary depending on if you do one control arm, or more- sometimes you can save yourself a lot in the long run if you buy a full control arm kit from somewhere online (ex. http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=8D0%20498%20998%20SUPER (http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=8D0%20498%20998%20SUPER))
you can also save a lot by installing yourself- IF mechanically inclined and not your only car...

First rule of thumb about owning a B5 though: have a thick wallet for repairs...

klausc
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Reach behind the wheel and grab the sway bar end link, and shake. It should not make any noise.