PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on an engine problem

SunPilot
09-30-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a 2001 A4 with a manual tranny. The timing belt broke and basically screwed up the engine. I purchased a used engine but it was from an automatic. The rear of the crank is different and the engine won't work in my car. Both my old engine and the one I purchased are code AWM 1.8T. My question is this: Can I open the bottom end and take the crank out of my old engine and swap it into the one I bought? I am assuming the blocks are the same. Would there be any problems I may need to address? This seems like the fastest and easiest way to resolve my problem. My other choice would be to sell the used engine I bought and purchase another one from a manual car. Any thoughts or ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

superman_006
09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
The main and rod bearing sizes and flywheel bolt patterns are all the same.

Manual..... These have a pilot bearing pressed into the spigot on the flywheel end.
Automatic ......the flywheel end and no whole for a pilot bearing

So yes ....You could pull the oilpan/ Timming belt off and just switch out the cranks, just keep all your caps in the same place and double check with plati-guage to make sure your neather has a machined crank

Bluejuiced
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
if you did do that id check all the cranks mains and rod journals for taper and out of round, also throw in new bearings.

and i dont suggest plasti-gauge as a method of checking oil clearance because if can leave a small divit in the caps.