PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Is pissing me off!!!!!

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Fist they send me a messed up disc, I send it back, now they sent me out the wrong dam disc.. I so fing pissed right now its not even funny.. I cant even use this disc my car will eat it up....... Not Happy with Andy at south bend right now.. not at all

b5a4lover
09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
wutup Nick? (its chaos from AF)

sorry to hear bout your troubles man. that car of yours is just plain bad luck. im buying a clutch from southbend as soon as they get the lwfw's in stock (supposedly beginning of next week) i hope i dont have the same problems...

mike-2ptzero
09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Fist they send me a messed up disc, I send it back, now they sent me out the wrong dam disc.. I so fing pissed right now its not even funny.. I cant even use this disc my car will eat it up....... Not Happy with Andy at south bend right now.. not at all

I guees you didn't listen to the everyone that posted to just put the first disk in your car.

.Mad Hatter.
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
what was wrong with the 1st disc?

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Thats for the dumb statment Mike... I dont put damaged parts into cars that I build. You can never be to carefull especially when your talking about a car your going to thrash on. it was damaged and the surfaces where different hights on that one puck. I paid for a new clutch I didnt want something damaged...

chaos thanks man.. Andy is a nice guy just droped the ball on this order thats for sure. He told me that one out of about 100 or so clutches get messed dunring shipping because they stack them all ontop of eachother. But he Also stated if it had failded for some reason it may have voided the waranty because it was damaged and at that point you dont know when or how it got damaged so he was glad I called and got it replaced, I ust found out seconds ago that he sent the wrong clutch.. right on the order slit it says stage 3... not to happy.. He better over night the right one so I have it for sat..

how the A4

mike-2ptzero
09-27-2007, 07:32 PM
what was wrong with the 1st disc?

It had a small chunk coming off on the outside edge.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/Dungbeattle3/clutch.jpg

.Mad Hatter.
09-27-2007, 07:39 PM
you would have used it?

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
if you look at the puck its a different color than the rest, it was lower than all the rest, wo is to say there was not a hair line crack or something. I paid $600 for a new clutch that was in mint shape. Like I said I dont put damaged parts on my car. I like everything to me as mint as posible..
If you would have chanced it fine thats you, thats not me. I work Had for my money I Dont want to piss it away on crap I may have to relace if it fails.

mike-2ptzero
09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Thats for the dumb statment Mike... I dont put damaged parts into cars that I build. You can never be to carefull especially when your talking about a car your going to thrash on. it was damaged and the surfaces where different hights on that one puck. I paid for a new clutch I didnt want something damaged...

chaos thanks man.. Andy is a nice guy just droped the ball on this order thats for sure. He told me that one out of about 100 or so clutches get messed dunring shipping because they stack them all ontop of eachother. But he Also stated if it had failded for some reason it may have voided the waranty because it was damaged and at that point you dont know when or how it got damaged so he was glad I called and got it replaced, I ust found out seconds ago that he sent the wrong clutch.. right on the order slit it says stage 3... not to happy.. He better over night the right one so I have it for sat..

how the A4

Dumb statement? Like I was the only one that replied on your other thread saying it was just fine. Not like I haven't dealt with a clutch for the A4.

if you look at the puck its a different color than the rest, it was lower than all the rest, wo is to say there was not a hair line crack or something. I paid $600 for a new clutch that was in mint shape. Like I said I dont put damaged parts on my car. I like everything to me as mint as posible..
If you would have chanced it fine thats you, thats not me. I work Had for my money I Dont want to piss it away on crap I may have to relace if it fails.

Still isn't going to matter since the break in period is going to even out the disk. Mint? It is a clutch it isn't going to be mint the second you use the clutch the very first time. But hey its your money and now your down time.

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
look bor my beef is not with you, Im mad because i can't handle people being stupid, If you want to put damaged parts in your car go ahead. Its damaged its right there in front of you, chances are it would have been fine, the point is "I PAID FOR A NEW MINT CLUTCH" and this clutch was not mint. I dont take chances like that

mike-2ptzero
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
look bor my beef is not with you, Im mad because i can't handle people being stupid, If you want to put damaged parts in your car go ahead. Its damaged its right there in front of you, chances are it would have been fine, the point is "I PAID FOR A NEW MINT CLUTCH" and this clutch was not mint. I dont take chances like that

Who is being stupid? We were just trying to tell you that the damage wasn't going to matter.

BTW why did you go with a organic disk if you plan on thrashing on the car?

TMorris
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
i think that shard the fell off that disc got lodged somewhere else[rolleyes]

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
i think that shard the fell off that clutch got lodged somewhere else[rolleyes]

the shard never fell off.. but nice try..

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 08:04 PM
get over the fact that the damage was going to matter it was not really the point and the reason that I took it back. The real point which i dont know why your not getting is I paid for a new perfect clutch and it was less then perfect. I know what you guys said, but in the unlikly even that it did fail I didnt want to have to take out my tranny again...
and as far as the clutch, I told I picked the stage 4 ofe ss because its a daily driver still and i wanted to maintain as close to stock pedal feel as I could. the guys on the stage 3 forum told me I would be happy with this clutch

94jedi
09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
i think that shard the fell off that clutch got lodged somewhere else[rolleyes]

uh...what?

b5a4lover
09-27-2007, 08:32 PM

how the A4

been nothing but a headache the last couple weeks. had an overheating problem and had to get a new coolant flange, then as soon as i get that fixed the clutch went out 2 days before i was supposed to bring it down to south florida to get it put in for next to nothing. now i gotta pay 700 bucks. i cant wait to get this clutch installed, my car hasn't been at 100% for almost 6 months now. and im getting my fmic and w/m put in at the same time, so things r lookin up. and as soon as i can find a steady and good paying job im savin up for a gt3071r .63 AR. hows ur comin along?

TMorris
09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
uh...what?

haha wow...i meant disc. Lets edit that.

johnnybravoa4
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
been nothing but a headache the last couple weeks. had an overheating problem and had to get a new coolant flange, then as soon as i get that fixed the clutch went out 2 days before i was supposed to bring it down to south florida to get it put in for next to nothing. now i gotta pay 700 bucks. i cant wait to get this clutch installed, my car hasn't been at 100% for almost 6 months now. and im getting my fmic and w/m put in at the same time, so things r lookin up. and as soon as i can find a steady and good paying job im savin up for a gt3071r .63 AR. hows ur comin along?

Well its all apart, I bit the bullet and just got a nice 20k AEB head, I think I might just do a total rebuild now thats its out, or atleast bearings and rings. The Turbo checked out ok, so im keeping the 28rs for now.. I just want my audi back, Im getting pissy even though i get a copany car now..

b5a4lover
09-27-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah i know what u mean. i haven't been able to drive mine for about a week and im already dying lol

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2007, 07:02 AM
get over the fact that the damage was going to matter it was not really the point and the reason that I took it back. The real point which i dont know why your not getting is I paid for a new perfect clutch and it was less then perfect. I know what you guys said, but in the unlikly even that it did fail I didnt want to have to take out my tranny again...
and as far as the clutch, I told I picked the stage 4 ofe ss because its a daily driver still and i wanted to maintain as close to stock pedal feel as I could. the guys on the stage 3 forum told me I would be happy with this clutch

Pedal feel is going to feel stock on any of the clutch kits, the disk isn't going to change that. Only time the clutch feel is going to change is if you use a dual diaphram pressure plate like I have in my car.

onemoremile
09-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Or the SS pressure plate. It feels like twice as hard as stock. It only takes a day to get used to it. Still, I'm a scrawny guy that has had multiple surgeries on my left knee and it isn't a problem. A burly dude like you probably won't even notice the difference.

TQMB5
09-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Or the SS pressure plate. It feels like twice as hard as stock. It only takes a day to get used to it. Still, I'm a scrawny guy that has had multiple surgeries on my left knee and it isn't a problem. A burly dude like you probably won't even notice the difference.

yea i put the stage 5 in my car. the first time i pressed it i was blown away at how stiff it was, now it feels like normal to me, infact i even pressed it with my other leg to make sure it wasnt getting soft on me, definitely still got it.

TQMB5
09-28-2007, 07:32 AM

i dont see why your being so stuburn, many people who have obviously had more expirence with clutches then you told you it would be fine, think about it like its a brake pad, thats all going to get evened out during break in anyway, and not effect the clutch. you keep ripping on south bend who is a great company, making them look like they have bad quality control, when in reality they they probably shipped it out becuase they knew it would not affect the perfomance. why have SB waste their money on higher "quality control" on something that doesnt matter. i would rather have them save that money and pass that savings on to me when i need another clutch.[up]

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Yeah the SS pressure plate will add a little more resistance to the pedal but is no where near that of a dual diaphram. You would have a hard time driving my car when it came to pushing the clutch pedal. I even drove a S4 with a twin plate and it felt like stock but was more on/off then even my setup, there was no slipping that clutch at all but then it is made for racing period.

BTW here is what they say about the SS on their site.

The SS series kits use the same friction materials on the disc but have an extreme clamp load pressure plate with a pedal effort increase up to 50%.

johnnybravoa4
09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Its my money, I work hard for it, I expect the things I spend money to be as described. thats the way I am. If you bought a new Audi and it was delivered with a huge scratch on it you would take the car the way it is because its not going to effect they way it drives to pass along savings to fellow consumers. If you did you would be stupid.. you would want it to be perfect. Thats what I want.. when I spent 600 bucks or 40k on something I want it right.. If you cant understand that, then I guess you never will understand why I sent it back..

everythings fine south bend took care of it..

i dont see why your being so stuburn, many people who have obviously had more expirence with clutches then you told you it would be fine, think about it like its a brake pad, thats all going to get evened out during break in anyway, and not effect the clutch. you keep ripping on south bend who is a great company, making them look like they have bad quality control, when in reality they they probably shipped it out becuase they knew it would not affect the perfomance. why have SB waste their money on higher "quality control" on something that doesnt matter. i would rather have them save that money and pass that savings on to me when i need another clutch.[up]

audib5a4
09-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I know if i bought a new part from whomever at fuill price, i know that part better not have one ddamn problem. These arent hondas we cant just risk these things, whether or not it would have caused a problem it would feel good to put a clutch in and have not a worry.

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I know if i bought a new part from whomever at fuill price, i know that part better not have one ddamn problem. These arent hondas we cant just risk these things, whether or not it would have caused a problem it would feel good to put a clutch in and have not a worry.

There was nothing to worry about, even a disk that looks perfect could fall apart the minute it is put into the car. Now if part of it was actually lifting off the disk itself then I would have said dont put it in and send it back. A clutch can fail at any time without any warning and still not be defective from the shop that made it.

TMorris
09-28-2007, 07:16 PM

hahahaha[down]

audib5a4
09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
lol i was making a general statemnt like i said even though it probably wouldnt cause a problem, it feels good to have no worries in general. lol anyway...

TMorris
09-29-2007, 06:22 AM
I know it was a joke it just seems like everyone thinks these cars are so fragile...calm down and drive it

AB18
09-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Glad is worked out, but don't rag on Andy at southbend over the forums, he is a good guy and doesn't deserve this rap.

onemoremile
09-29-2007, 07:24 AM
If he honestly screwed up then so be it. He's gotten so many others right that this won't hurt his reputation. Nice to know he is human like the rest of us.

mike-2ptzero
09-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Everyone knows shops dont have control over shipping companies. Things get damaged or gets lost while in their hands.

onemoremile
09-29-2007, 08:04 AM
That explains the first disk but not the second. Everybody messes up from time to time.

Daft
09-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I've been staring at that pic again of the "damaged clutch disc". It was absolutely useable.

The part about the pucks being different colors is normal. Organic discs are comprised of a variety of compunds. When the friction surface is shaved, the surface will vary in color and texture in many areas. Some will show more of the tan lines and some will appear more black/grey. The point is that the actual friction surface is intact and not peeling away.

The chip on the outside edge was really nothing to get flustered over. I'm sure you were rough with the people at Southbend on the phone and in the end, I'm sure the mixup was caused by people rushing to get you a replacement. It's a typical snafu. Customer gets enraged and vendor rushes and makes an error. So now there's nothing that anyone can do.

I can tell you now, despite any of the "problems" that you've listed here. There is a large following of people that have never had any issues with SB or Andy. I can also say that I will definitely use their product on my A6 instead of anyone else's.

In this day and age, it's very hard to find a company that supplies a well made clutch that will last a reasonable amount of time. There are plenty of companies that offer overpriced, low quality clutches that last for 10-15K miles. I can think of at least 4 very large brands that fit this category right off the top of my mind and Southbend is not one of them.

onemoremile
09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
^^ right on.

Those tan lines are copper.

HIERLEVELZ
09-29-2007, 01:10 PM
So when is ANDY going to have another group buy? thats what i wanna know.

2001A4QUATTRO
09-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Had an old clutch kit ( OFE SS Stage 4 ) from 2 years ago. Was getting ready to install it, called Andy and he said there were some problems around that time and to send my disc in. He sent me a brand new cryo-d disc ( my kit was cryo-d ). Then I got a used DMF from a member here on audizine. I spoke with Andy and he told me to send it in and he would inspect and resurface it free of charge because I had purchased a clutch over 2 years ago. He called and I ended up paying $20 to ship the flywheel back. [hail] ANDY [hail] SBC

No more bad stuff said... [az]

BTW I would have used it... LOL [:p]

johnnybravoa4
09-29-2007, 04:07 PM
i never once raged on andy, i even stated he fix it.. some people just cant read between the line.. ill say it again i just wanted what I paid for.. I just dont undertand why some of you dont get that...

crono35
09-29-2007, 05:19 PM
yeah, despite the title of the thread, the resolution to it has probably swayed me to go southbend when I need a new clutch. It's silly to think that anyone, no matter what their reputation is like, never makes mistakes.