PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a 3 inch Downpipe???

zoey
07-29-2004, 10:59 AM
I have been looking all over Sacramento, CA for a 3 inch downpipe but have not found one shop which sells them. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can get a 3 inch downpipe? I already have a 3 inch custom Cat back exhaust so I have that end covered. TIA!

DDQ
07-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Damn, what kind of crazy mods are you running that require a 3"?

I don't know of anyone that makes a 3" DP.

EVIL-AUDI
07-29-2004, 11:13 AM
SPP used to

voltronb5
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by zoey
I have been looking all over Sacramento, CA for a 3 inch downpipe but have not found one shop which sells them. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can get a 3 inch downpipe? I already have a 3 inch custom Cat back exhaust so I have that end covered. TIA!

hey, where in sacramento did you have your custom exahust done? and for how much?[confused]

thanks

joeya103
07-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Wow 3" system...are you running at least a Stage 3 or something?

Devious27t
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
ATP has them.... GHL might too.

DarkkstaR
07-29-2004, 12:30 PM
SPP used to, tantrumwerks has them, and labree also makes them I believe.

And WTF are you people talking about, what crazy mods are you doing... 3" > 2.5"...turbos + less backpressure = top end :)

Audi_Sniper
07-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by DVS18t
ATP has them.... GHL might too.

No GHL does not make a 3" for a cars. I have called and spoke with them, I'm in the same boat as you....

Devious27t
07-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by DarkkstaR

And WTF are you people talking about, what crazy mods are you doing... 3" > 2.5"...turbos + less backpressure = top end :)

tantrum werks=labree has 2.5 they made some custom 3" but they do not make them as the 3" barely fits in the tunnel. labree does not recommend running 3" DP on audis they recommend a smaller Dp and larger exhaust after the flex. i have had this convo with labree before.

zoey
07-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by voltronb5
hey, where in sacramento did you have your custom exahust done? and for how much?[confused]

thanks

A small shop did it in Fair Oaks....the exhaust was a 3 inch custom with magnaflow for $350 installed. I waited 3 months for the Neuspeed turbo back exhaust for $700 bones but it never arrived so I said screw it! I went and got a custom job which fits perfectly and sounds great. PM for the specific shop I do not want everyone and their mother going to that shop....

zoey
07-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by DVS18t
tantrum werks=labree has 2.5 they made some custom 3" but they do not make them as the 3" barely fits in the tunnel. labree does not recommend running 3" DP on audis they recommend a smaller Dp and larger exhaust after the flex. i have had this convo with labree before.

yeah I know everyone keeps telling me to run the 2.5 DP and it looks like I am going to need to have the downpipe (DP) custom fabricated just like the 3 inch exhaust system. I have noticed that to get things done correctly pretty much everything for the Audi has to be custom.

zoey
07-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by joeya103
Wow 3" system...are you running at least a Stage 3 or something?

Running a GT35/40R turbo with stand alone engine management (Turbo XS) and a bunch of other crap that I am trying to get to work in harmony instead of fighting each other. Currently I am trying to find the 3 in DP.

vmsturbo
07-29-2004, 09:33 PM
zoey, i sure hope you've upgraded to a built 2.0 motor because you will get soooooo much lag with that 35/40. I tried out the GT30R and it was bad enough, so i went with a modified GT28RS. At 333 to the wheels i'm pretty satisfied.

JMG
07-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by DarkkstaR

bigger diameters don't exactly mean less back pressure.... what if he's going from a 3' DP to a 2.5' pipe? That's no good. And If he has a '3 pipe and is running a KO3 then the turbo will have a hard time pushing the denser cooler air that is sitting at the tail end of a wider pipe... thats more resistance.

These parts have to work in harmony. With Zoey's GT35/40R a large Dp and piping will probably work, but he will also have some crazy turbo lag. [:D]

zoey
07-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Tru dat. I currently have a stupid amount of turbo lag. Right now the DP is 1.78 (stock) going to 3 inch from the cat all the way out the back. I want/need it to be 3 inch turbo back and see what happens. I wish I was using the 2.0 built motor. My a$$ is running the good old 1.8 liter displacement. Yes, I have serious turbo lag but I do not do much light to light racing if at all (you can count on one hand how many times I have done that).

To reduce the turbo lag right now I am using a 40 shot of Nitrous to get the turbo spooling up faster. I might have to step up to a 75 shot to reduce the turbo lag more. The turbo lag is still great but who the hell wants to squeeze the bottle everytime some bit$h wants to run light to light? Answer: Not me. Today I had to lay down the smack on some dude in a WRX STI with a really annoying fart can. I was filling up and he drove by looking at my car and I caught up with him a couple miles down the road (not wanting to race just see his STI) and he made the stupid mistake of trying to pull on me at speed (the only time I can kick his ass from a stop my ass is dead). He was pissed because I smoked his ass and his girl was in shotgun.

I have no idea what my whp (mainly due to a limited number of places with awd dynos) and the getting engine to run reliably without going into limp mode (the car goes into limp mode when it detects that not enough air is flowing through). I am also running crappy CA 91 octane gas so my hp right now is probably in the high 350-370 whp range and most likely well over 400 with 100 octane but how often am I going to be running 100 octane? Answer: Not very often.

FMIC: Greddy
Injectors: 475cc
Cost of this project with headache? Answer: So much I don't even want to think about it!