PDA

View Full Version : Turbo noob with a MBC and some problems.

A4X4T
09-15-2007, 10:43 AM
delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete

maxspeed
09-15-2007, 12:41 PM
what the 4.3v diode will do is lock the map sensor at 11psi, which means the ecu wont see your actual boost is. once you go above 11psi, all your ecu sees is 11psi, even if your at 30 psi. what this does (in a very dangerous fashion) is stop your car from going into limpmode from overboost codes (which is exactly what your experiencing).

since your on a stock ecu, you have to use the 4.3v diode, as the 4.7v would clamp the map sensor at 17psi, and you would still be put into limp mode.

A4X4T
09-15-2007, 05:44 PM
delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete delete

Bluejuiced
09-15-2007, 06:13 PM
are you going by how much boost it says or how it drives? does it slow down? because boost is pretty much kinda a form of ineffeciency in an engine. Like say you do something to raise the compression ratio in the engine, you might read like your producing less boost, but your car will go faster. Now i dont know much about the problem your having, but im jsut curious if its accauly slowing down also.

A4X4T
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM

mike-2ptzero
09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey,

I have a 2001 A4 tiptronic. I installed an Ebay MBC this morning and I got a small problem. Basically I can't turn it down far enough to not go into hard limp. The boost spikes to almost 16 psi on my Blitz DTT then blah, hard limp. I cranked the MBC down all the way and I am now only able to drive to about 3/4 throttle without the blah. I have a 4.3V diode on the way but for now only the MBC. Is this MBC forked or is that common. If I'm boosting to 16 psi now what will the 4.3V really do for me anyway. Should I have gone with the 4.7V??? With a dead stock engine should I be at 16psi safely?

The install: I started out by unhooking the N75 valve all together except for the electrical connection. I hooked the T fitting to the hose for the waste gate with a vacuum adapter due to the size difference. I took a new piece of hose and attached it to the other end of the T and then to the turbos boosted fitting. I then ran the tube from top of the T to the MBCs waste gate port and left the outlet "vent" port open air.

Does all this sound all right so far?
Here is the MBC I bought. I read it was similar to some name brand one and other have had success with it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Manual-Turbo-Boost-Controller-Subaru-WRX-STi-Legacy-B_W0QQitemZ270165635146QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33742QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it says it's for a WRX but they are all the same, I asked.

Thanx

First off why would you only hook up 1 side of the MBC to a vac line but leave the other side vented? How do you expect the mbc to control boost by doing this?

That MBC should have a line going from the fitting with no arrow to the pressure side of the turbo housing and the fitting with the arrow should have a line going to your WG. No wonder turning the valve on the mbc does nothing for you at this time. This is exactly why people should not install a MBC if they have no clue what they are doing, it is also how people blow their engines up.

speedydragon
09-15-2007, 08:56 PM
16psi...I guess you're not chipped yet? damn once you get chipped you'll be getting crazy boost numbers!

A4X4T
09-16-2007, 07:30 AM

a4_ohboy
09-16-2007, 07:51 AM
mike is write about this its like putting your shoes on and not tieing them and wondering why they fall off. do some searches about mbc's so you dont do anyhting thaat you will seriusly regret!

-kyle

mike-2ptzero
09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Well then you are using the wrong MBC for a car that meters air. You dont want to use a MBC that leaks off pressure, you want one that blocks off the pressure and lets thru a % of the pressure thru to control boost. So yes you bought the wrong type of MBC and if you would have just done a little search you would have already know that.

Seeing that I am giving you info why exactly would I need a "pill"?

why are you doing a MBC and diode, are you even chipped yet?

Seeing that you are a 2001 you could just buy a chip like the GIAC xchip which runs at 18-21psi without putting the car into limp. If you are stock you are going to run into way more issues that are going to put you into limp other then just the MAP sensor over boost issue so even just doing a diode there isn't going to solve the issue. You might run into the "max tq limit reached" which will cause the ECU to throw the EPC light and shut off control of the throttle pedal and bascily slowing the car down on it's own.

offroader1006
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
did you remember to remove your engine oil before installing?

you can't run this MBC with oil in your motor.

[up]

A4X4T
09-16-2007, 11:32 AM

mike-2ptzero
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
OK, Why is everybody being such a cock???

I have a question and I need some help. If you want to help me then good. I don't need a bunch of crap from people who think their shat don't stink.
I have a MBC and not a $500 software download. Now that's out of the way how do I work with what I have????

I bought this MBC cause it was inexpensive and I don't have alot of money. I read abunch of posts on Manual boost controllers and this one came reccomended by some people as a cheaper alternative to the name brad rip offs.

If you could just take a minuite to look at the MBC I have an give a little insite that would be great. If you have nothing helpfull to say shut the F up and go somewhere else.

I am not some retarded kid who puts decals all over his hyundai. I have many years of mechanical experience, just not with turbo cars.

I thought these forums were ment to help people not demean them for decisions you think are wrong.
[:(]

Are we not giving you info? Going with just a MBC on a dbw with stock software is just useless because you are just increasing the boost and not adjusting fuel maps or adv timing. Better off just saving your money and buying a chip when you have saved up enough.

It isn't like this subject hasn't been dealt with in the past seeing that the dbw B5 first came out nearly 8 years ago. I also have dealt with the dbw car for that same amount of time. It isn't like I dont know anything about the dbw car seeing that my car made the most power out of a K03 in a Audi A4 1.8t and still holds the ET record of 14.290 even 6 years later.

BTW if we were going to be cocks we would have just said "STFA and figure it out your fucking self".[:p]

maxspeed
09-16-2007, 02:09 PM
seriously, its not like theres not a complete writeup on how to do this mod anyway...

and yea, max tq limit exceeded + EPC lights sucks [:(]
good thing i dont get those anymore...

mike, was your 14.2 on race gas + testpipe?

just wondering cause i did 14.3 with a cat on a pump...

Burntaudi
09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Just keep trying to save a buck using a MBC with a stock ECU. You said you don't have a lot of money. Can you afford a new motor? You said you have some mechanical knowledge. Do you know what happens when a motor burns to lean? Can you say electrode burned off spark plug or hole burned in piston.

Go ahead and do what you want. But we are trying to save you from blowing up your motor.

mike-2ptzero
09-16-2007, 03:22 PM
seriously, its not like theres not a complete writeup on how to do this mod anyway...

and yea, max tq limit exceeded + EPC lights sucks [:(]
good thing i dont get those anymore...

mike, was your 14.2 on race gas + testpipe?

just wondering cause i did 14.3 with a cat on a pump...

Race gas, test pipe and just a chip with no diode's or boost controllers.

A4X4T
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM

maxspeed
09-16-2007, 09:02 PM
So basically without spending $500 for software I'm fucked!! Every time I wanna change something I gotta go back to the shop and have them download new shit or spend more money on somebody else’s software cause the company I have doesn't work with this new modification or some other bullshit.

Tons of people are doing the MBC and diode modification without wasting money on software. I just need help tweaking it. The write ups are good but every car reacts differently and the write ups can't cover every possible combination.

Plus if everyone just used the archives then no one would need to use the boards cause I'm sure everything’s been talked about.

If I would have known it was this hard just to make 200 measly little horsepower I would have stayed with the V8 cars. I mean my Trans Am has more torque on it's lug nuts than half these cars in here have coming from their engines. 14.?? Hah. [rolleyes] That's bullshit.

L8R

well dude, im sorry you cant afford to set your car up the way you want. go back to your redneck ferrari if you think its so much better, have fun driving in the snow [up]

14.3? yea, have you factored in that the car runs 16+ from the factory?

how about next time you get the bright idea to buy a car, why dont you do some research first? everyone and there mom (cause theres moms drive them too) knows an a4 is not a fast car. (at least for people that cant even scratch together 500 bucks for a chip)

mike: maybe no boost controller or diode, but more boost, about 10 octane levels, and no cat sure does help...

mike-2ptzero
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
mike: maybe no boost controller or diode, but more boost, about 10 octane levels, and no cat sure does help...

Yes but remember this was 6 years ago, back when BT's were running 13's and K04's were running high 14's. [:p]

So basically without spending $500 for software I'm fucked!! Every time I wanna change something I gotta go back to the shop and have them download new shit or spend more money on somebody else’s software cause the company I have doesn't work with this new modification or some other bullshit.

Tons of people are doing the MBC and diode modification without wasting money on software. I just need help tweaking it. The write ups are good but every car reacts differently and the write ups can't cover every possible combination.

Plus if everyone just used the archives then no one would need to use the boards cause I'm sure everything’s been talked about.

If I would have known it was this hard just to make 200 measly little horsepower I would have stayed with the V8 cars. I mean my Trans Am has more torque on it's lug nuts than half these cars in here have coming from their engines. 14.?? Hah. [rolleyes] That's bullshit.

First off most people are using MBC's with a BT not a K03 or K04. The small turbo just doesn't like the MBC because it cant hold a set boost level to redline unless it is at stock levels. The guys doing diodes are also using a BT so they can run more then 21psi which is the max amount you can run on the cars with a map(boost) sensor. The guys that are doing this stuff with a K03 already have a chip installed.

LOL you think it is hard to make 200chp, if you are quattro then you are really screwed seeing that your putting less then 156hp to the ground.

So now you are comparing a V8 to a inline 4, 4 door family car. I guess you should have stuck with a V8.

dingguhlbary
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
why is this guy arguing with mike? hes asking questions. getting answers. then saying the answers are wrong. but if you dont know the answer to the question you are asking, how do you know if the answer you get is wrong. this might sound all messed up, but it makes sense to me.

jesus loves you!!

A4X4T
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Burntaudi
09-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Most of us have been tunning these cars for years and know what we are talking about. But you just don't wanna hear the truth. Go buy a WRX. Good riddance...Your a tool.

pinky
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
lol..

1998-2001 nissan altima made 150-155bhp and 154-156 ft-lb
(that's the same as the b5 a4)

you are a retard

dingguhlbary
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM
hey buddy, no one said power was cheap in our cars. chill brah. just buy a damn chip