PDA

View Full Version : R-tronic gearbox

michaelg
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the blog. Some really interesting ideas coming out.

I have ordered an R8 with the r-tronic box. I took one out for a test drive last week. I don't know if anyone here has driven the car , but I was appalled at how jerky the car was in traffic.

It is almost imposible to set off smoothly without looking like you've just passed your test.

Does anyone have any idea why this is so bad? do you know if Audi are aware of this problem and will be making changes?

My car is due in early 2008 andI'd like to decide whether to get the manual box instead and save over £5,000!

Help.

Thanks

toaster
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
eh, unfortunately most of us do not have the privilege to test, let alone purchase an r8 (not yet at least.)

i am surprised to hear that you experienced the jerkiness with the r8.

all i have heard about the car, is that it's one of the best cars ever designed.

cato1974
09-07-2007, 05:09 AM
were you experiencing that jerkiness in the full automatic mode or in the manual or manual/sport mode.. Putting around town. you might be better in full auto mode with slower gear shifts.. then when ready to open it up.. put it in manual or manual/sport mode.. your shifts will be lightning fast, but you will bang throgh the gears with some ferocity.. your head will snap... not the smoothness of the DSG but still an experience. let me know if that works out.

raulg_usa
09-08-2007, 07:21 AM
stay with the r tronic.

I drove the car for about 40 minutes, 95% on the track, as fast as possible, on the manual sport mode. Than another 5 min of relaxed driving. I found the rtronic to be just on my taste, but there are a few tricks with manual mode. The most importand one: lift your foot up when upshifting for just a fraction of a second. Otherwise the car will jerk and it also slowed down on me, just like a quick tap on the brakes. For me the best way to drive is on manual mode, but the auto can be very smooth also.

Do not forget: the R Tronic is a manual-automatic trans. It can work like an auto trans, but i think its best to use it as a manual without a clutch, just use the paddles. More involving, can be very smoth, it's up to the driver.