PDA

View Full Version : boost/idle problems

TheEZest
09-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I have been experiencing some problems with my car for the past couple of days. These problems are apparent sometimes and then other times the car runs perfectly. When the car is not running perfectly, these are the problems that I experience...

The first problem is that sometimes at idle the engine will begin to slowly rev up to approx 1500 rpms and then drop back down randomly.

The second problem is that at idle, if I blip the throttle, when the revs drop back down the engine will have a hard time finding finding its resting place at 800 rpms or so. It will drop below 800 and the engine will sound like its about to cut out, then the rpms go back up to 1100, then drop again, and so forth for a couple of times before reaching a normal idle point.

The third and most apparent problem is that I have no power in the lower rpm range. So little power that if I try to engage first gear at anything under 3000 rpms then the car bucks and wants to stall out.

The fourth problem is that at wide open throttle I'm only reaching 10 psi instead of approx. 15 with my chip.

So, I look at the fourth problem and think 'boost leak,' but are the first three problems characteristic of a boost leak as well?

If it is a boost leak, where and how should I start looking for it? DV? I've got a 710n but it has been on there for a few years already.

offroader1006
09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
sounds like an intake air leak.

your first 3 complaints are dead on what an air leak would do.

the lack of boost means it is a large air leak.

check all the check valves, vac lines, dv and intake hoses.

TheEZest
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
thanks man. ill do that this weekend.