PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal.

Enkei
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
First off, sorry i dont have any pics. Later this week im going to pick up a 1998 a4. It has aftermarket rims, cant remember which brand but they look good, its black, a 5 speed, black leather, heated front seats, sunroof, and the interior is spotless. Their were a few dents hes gonna fix before i pic it up. It has 125,000 miles on it with a new timing belt, and new bilstein shocks. Im getting it for 5500. The guy im getting from is one of my good friends dads, he has a body shop. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Thanks, Chuck.

Enkei
09-02-2007, 08:56 PM
i forgot to add it is a quattro, and has the 1.8 turbo motor.

detroittechno
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
kinda high miles but sounds lil fair.

Enkei
09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
He has the dealership, so im gonna get a 1 or 2 year warranty, im gonna be a junior in high school, and this car is for until college.

akielb
09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
you can get a warranty on a car that is almost 10 years old and has over 125k - wow - As for the price, I got my 98.5 1.8tQT in January of '06 for $5300 with 130k - but I still needed to get the TB done for the second time and do some other maintinence. Sounds like a good starter(ready to mod) car - you better have some extra $$$ around if you don't have a warranty. just in case

speedydragon
09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Nice! I got my audi when I was a junior, now I'm a senior :D

A4 Effort
09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
kinda high miles but sounds lil fair.

It's a 9 year old car, what do you expect? People don't buy cars just to have them sit in their driveway. No offense, but i hate when people say this as a knee-jerk reaction. 125k for a 9yo car isn't bad - mine is a '99 and i'm about to turn 120k and she runs like a champ.

If the car you're buying is mechanically sound, and if you think it is a fair deal, then go for it.

The1amRadio
09-03-2007, 07:49 AM
mine was fairly similar to that, a year older, a few less miles, K04, springs, and a DV for the same price. Just have someone check it out first, could need a water pump or clutch or something... sounds like a decent deal... i thought mine to be a great deal.

woofster
09-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Enkei
09-03-2007, 08:49 AM
have someone check it out first, could need a water pump or clutch or something...

I had my dad look at it, he said everything looks good, and me and him took it for a test drive, it drove great.

Enkei
09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Can someone also lead me in the direction of the first mods to do, thanks.

wafballa54
09-03-2007, 08:51 AM
i got mine at a sophmore now im a junior haha. there def awsome high school cars. bitches love it lol

thebikedoctor33
09-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Can someone also lead me in the direction of the first mods to do, thanks.

yeah, check the stickies. lots of good info in there

blkaudi98
09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
i got mine as a junior too, now i am a senior....great cars...FIRST MODS~ since it has rims already..what size?? but i would say chip it, exhaust..maybe tint. i chipped and put a milteK exhaust on my 98 a4, and im so GLAD i did. anyway, sounds like a good car. i say go for it :)

Enkei
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Do you have any good websites for the parts, thanks.

20vpower
09-03-2007, 11:15 AM
at top of b5 page are the stickies, here is the link http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728

Kyle H
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Haha, I'm another highschooler with a b5.

I'm going a different modding route than most around here. I'm doing all of the driveline/suspension mods first, then chipping it.

If I were you, I'd get some coilovers, since it's probably sitting like an allroad on those wheels with stock suspension, then chip it.

Before you buy, don't just have your dad check it out unless he has experience with the 1.8t and audis in general. Take it to a euro shop and have them look at it, for your own good!

brlukosk
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
^^

Hate to be a wet blanket here, but I would think twice about the audis in general if you have a limited income.

They may seem to be structurally/mechanically sound when you buy it, but Audis are very picky cars. If they havent been maintained in the past they will turn on you.

Repairs/parts are very expensive if you dont have much money. If the TB and other engine work has been done you "should" be good to go. However the ICM is known to fail, along with the coilpacks at the worst times. You also have to watch out for the air bag system to malfunction (happens like clock work). The ABS system will also malfunction in given time as well. Besides that you have to look at suspension components which are most likely bad as well.

My A4 is a money pit, but I still dig the car and wouldnt trade it.

Just be aware of what your getting into.

CaSp3r9
09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me if he can prove that it's up on all its maintenance and just had the belt replaced. I'm not sure if they use salt on the roads over there during the winter or not but make sure and get underneath the car to check every corner for rust. I checked out a car from Colorado that was absolutely spotless and drove beautifully but was rusted to shit because of salt.

And like others have said, be sure you know what you're getting in to. Older A4's can be a hassle and are costly to repair if you can't do the work yourself.

jlien08
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
^^ listen to him . I got my 98.5 w/ 125k for about $5900. Not a bad deal, but it should have been less based on the problems I've had with it in the last 2 years. No leather, but really nice interior, but just about ALL of the basic Audi problems showed up on this car. This was before I knew about all of the little things that tend to go wrong after 100K. I'm not complaining, I learned a HELL of a lot about the car in the first year. And I definitely still enjoy driving it, now with 166K. Actually, it drives better now than it has since we've owned it.

pipe7284
09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
98 with 145k, doing all the labor myself since its expensive as hell when you take it to a shop. and yes these cars are money pits, but then again, i wouldnt trade for anything else (except for a b5 s4)

emeralda4
09-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a fair deal, just got my A4 as a junior and love it..... wish mine was a manuel but got a killer deal for it, so i guess its better than driving a 1993 4cyl mustang. Anyway, chip it first easy mod with good gains in power.

AudiA4_20T
09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey man where u from in NJ? I might know that car.. Does it have black Enkei wheels?