PDA

View Full Version : Bassed Update: Fabbing 99% done.........

bassed
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
DP is 99 % done..one more bung and a bit of smoothing out....then all will be sent out for coating

nothing is smoothed, clamped on, or finished, so it will be installed pretty and neat when its time...this is justa half fab'd up almost done.

picture time!
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111442-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111444-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111449-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111447-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111450-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/190111454-L.jpg

Flyboy64
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Looks awesome :)

Mad_Audi
08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
thx for the pics man! i'm looking into doing a very similar project =)

pipe7284
08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
nice set up, wouldnt you wanna have a bypass for the custom turbo inlet pipe incase water gets sucked in?

ExpLlclT
08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
good work i like that your cold air intake is like right up front

bassed
08-31-2007, 06:23 PM
nice set up, wouldnt you wanna have a bypass for the custom turbo inlet pipe incase water gets sucked in?
I"ll keep an eye on NOAA... I doubt it will be an issue and still forsee me driving this a good amount of the daily driving no matter what.

onemoremile
08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
That intake is like an upside down snorkel. Might want to get a bagged filter like the STS turbo systems use. Looks like the project is really coming along nicely. How much do you wish you could drive it right now?

mike-2ptzero
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM

Those are made for NA only, they open when there is high vacuum above the filter and with a turbo setup you are already well above that vacuum which means unfiltered air is being sucked in all the time.

That intake is like an upside down snorkel. Might want to get a bagged filter like the STS turbo systems use. Looks like the project is really coming along nicely. How much do you wish you could drive it right now?

The filter would still have to be completely under water to cause water to be sucked into the turbo, pushed thru the fmic and into the motor. My filter sat even lower then what he has in the picture and drove the car in the rain, just made sure I didn't run thru any deep puddles while pushing boost.

bassed - I am suprised you didn't clock the turbo so the outlet goes over the frame and then forward/down. Also is the pipe on the fmic outlet going to make it around the radiator support or did you replace the IC cross over pipe with a different support?

ILoveT
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I personally think that set up looks easier then running it around the frame.

mike-2ptzero
08-31-2007, 07:05 PM
I personally think that set up looks easier then running it around the frame.

well going over the frame with the outlet allows more room for the inlet setup and filter, plus there would be less bends.

It also looks like that fmic is going to be sitting on the ground in that position unless the car is going to be 4x4 lifted. The bottom of the bumper would have to be cut out to allow the core to sit below it.

Here is a picture of my fmic without the bumper, the bottom of my fmic sits right on the bottom of the S4 bumper. Also look at the location of the radiator support.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716bumper_shock.jpg

A little wider angle.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716on_a_diet.jpg

EUROTEK//S4
08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
how much WHP/WTQ can u get out a 1.8 ?

sean1.8t
08-31-2007, 09:52 PM

1.21 jiggawatts!

mike-2ptzero
08-31-2007, 10:19 PM

as much as you want if the bottles are big enough[;)]

They are 2 liters now.

Close to 800chp here, I might have to step up to a slightly larger turbo to see about hitting 700whp. [:D]

speedydragon
08-31-2007, 10:41 PM
as much as you want if the bottles are big enough[;)]

They are 2 liters now.

Close to 800chp here, I might have to step up to a slightly larger turbo to see about hitting 700whp. [:D]

whoa! how much larger do you think you can go up to?

mike-2ptzero
08-31-2007, 10:57 PM
whoa! how much larger do you think you can go up to?

Nothing too much larger then I have now.

Poopie
08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Looks good Ian. looks like we don't have to go with "Plan B" hahaha
I just got rear ended by a sweet old lady. She was gonna pay cash for the damages but its gonna cost her an arm and a leg. I went to a body shop and they said it would cost significantly more then even a $1000 deductable....There hardly is any damage but some panels need to be readjusted and possible frame and bumper support damage. Hopefully Nationwide's claim adjuster thinks so as well....so I can get more parts for my motor build.

Bic-Ball
08-31-2007, 11:11 PM
is there any reason to not add a second intake up top just to ensure there is no water problem? if the bottom filter gets saturated the turbo will just suck air from the top filter instead of pulling real hard at the bottom filter and sucking water in. maybe i'm just making it too complicated and being paranoid though :)

sean1.8t
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
is there any reason to not add a second intake up top just to ensure there is no water problem? if the bottom filter gets saturated the turbo will just suck air from the top filter instead of pulling real hard at the bottom filter and sucking water in. maybe i'm just making it too complicated and being paranoid though :)

it works in theory...

but if you put a second filter up top then that pretty much defetes the purpose of having the first filter so close to the ground

bassed
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM

I've been a bitchy, antsy mutha fuck a for 3+ months:) I want to drive it like so bad.....Track day with Trackdaze October 6-7 booked for Shenandoah:[:o][:o][:o]

Poopie
08-31-2007, 11:17 PM
lol no that would be a bad idea. The collision of the two airstreams will totally screw up maf readings and it is so unecessary. As long as the filter is not completely submerged he is fine. he has a goof....meh? 5 inches...so as long as he doesn't go anything deeper.

bassed
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Those are made for NA only, they open when there is high vacuum above the filter and with a turbo setup you are already well above that vacuum which means unfiltered air is being sucked in all the time.

The filter would still have to be completely under water to cause water to be sucked into the turbo, pushed thru the fmic and into the motor. My filter sat even lower then what he has in the picture and drove the car in the rain, just made sure I didn't run thru any deep puddles while pushing boost.

bassed - I am suprised you didn't clock the turbo so the outlet goes over the frame and then forward/down. Also is the pipe on the fmic outlet going to make it around the radiator support or did you replace the IC cross over pipe with a different support?

What you see is the base ground setup...Expect lots of logs etc.... The path is so clean I'm not worried at alll.

bassed
08-31-2007, 11:23 PM

Mike the setup is will fit OEM with minimal trim....It's the perspective that's throws it off.

bassed
08-31-2007, 11:26 PM

Indeed you are. I don't live in TAHOE any more PA gets about 10" a year and if it "s a deluge the Passat will be the means of transport[up]

Poopie
08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
ian, can i borrow the passat when I build my motor? In return i'll help you break-in/whoop on your new motor......

bassed
08-31-2007, 11:34 PM
ian, can i borrow the passat when I build my motor? In return i'll help you break-in/whoop on your new motor......
The B3 Passat is the next projeckt[eek] Rusted, t3/t4'd and ummmmm Sleeeeper Daily bish[rolleyes] So yeah you can rocks it for a while[:D]

jrodmk2
09-01-2007, 07:38 AM
i am feeling the same about the extra bend before the throttle body. are you putting an oil cooler where the old side mount was or something? other than that looks like you are coming along pretty good for your deadline. does that elbow clear the headlight?

bassed
09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Jrodmk2....Yeah oil cooler in SMIC location. I would also rather the bends for the TB be early not late. I want the least amount of disturbance running into the Plenum.

Mike as for the Radiator support: Here was the setup before:
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/158416392-L.jpg
http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/158416383-L.jpg

Rosati
09-01-2007, 11:04 AM
exactly what i wish i could do.

do all of that in a nice garage and be able to fab things up and weld.

Good shit man . My 2.0 build has slowed only bc of job attention needs :( Ill be catchin up soon tho, everything looks great, id only suggest rotating the clamps so that they are easily accesible later on in case of leaks, etc.

- looks like you listened to me w/ the rims hehe.

solowb5
09-01-2007, 08:27 PM
y didnt u use a flex pipe in the gates exit pipe?

so mike u stepping it up to a gt-k 600?

mike-2ptzero
09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
y didnt u use a flex pipe in the gates exit pipe?

so mike u stepping it up to a gt-k 600?

No, if I do change turbo it would be the GT37R (AKA T3/T67 H.O. DBB) Turbo which was the turbo that full-race told me I would want to run next and the same turbo that Issam is going to be running on his 2.2 liter.