PDA

View Full Version : So say 1 of the wires came out of the maf connector

2nice4rice
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Well i had my car stripped down this week to replace the power steering belt and the radiator fan. Somewhere in the process of moving the airbox the yellow wire leading to the maf sensor connector came out. Now i am throwing P0103 and P0102(I know what they mean btw) and the car will start and the revs will hit about 2k then drop to dead. Basically the question is is that the symptom of having a disconnected maf or is it something else as well. Secondly how do i go about fixing it. The wire came all the way out so its not like it split and i can just reattach it. Thanks for any input toward fixing. Car is a 1999 A4 early model pre facelift.

akielb
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
If you disconnect the MAF all that happens is the system goes to a backup and uses those readings. You car would still run and drive - not that well, but it would still be drivable. sounds like you might have a big air leak - check the TIP(the one that goes from the airbox to the turbo. I don't know if this would help but maybe you should fully disconnect it and see how it works then.

2nice4rice
08-31-2007, 10:20 AM
i have fully disconnected it and it starts revs to about 2k and dies.

ct1.8t4me
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
If it turns out to be the wires your best bet is to just get a junkyard replacement. I had a local place chop off a foot of the harness from a wrecked car for $10. The dealer wants about $30 for the bare plug body and the wires separately, then you have to assemble it all.

2nice4rice
08-31-2007, 11:19 AM
ok so here is what i did. i removed the airbox from the car. i also took off the radiator and the intake manifold and throttle body. Thats all i took off just to clean. Then i reassembled it and Now the when i put the car in the on position but not start the throttle body makes a constant beep sound one long beep for about 10-15 seconds. then i started it and it just starts and dies but if i start it and give it a little gas it will run in nuetral but the throttle is very inconsistent. i have my foot steady and the rpms will just bounce back and forth by about 500. and when i let off it stalls out.

Any thoughts?

This is all with the maf unplugged by the way.

ct1.8t4me
08-31-2007, 11:39 AM
You may need to do a throttle body adaptation with a VAG-COM since you removed the throttle body. Search on here for the procedure or on google. It's very simple.

aytheory
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
go to engine - log block 60 - then switch to basic settings - and just let it sit for like 30-60 seconds in that setting and you should be good - and of course DO NOT TOUCH the gas pedal during this whole time.