PDA

View Full Version : First time outer CV boot replacement...

Beemer832
08-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Helping a friend do both of his front outer CV boots on a 2001 a4 2.8q... should be fun but a little worried about getting the axle nut off along with getting the cv join pulled off the axle. anyone have any insight on this job before we get ourselves knee deep in a pile of a sh!t?

Also what about those one time use clips for the boot itself, I don't know which type of clips he got with the kit he ordered, i am assuming u can rent that tool at like autozone?...

thanks
josh

darth tater
08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
pop off center cap, brake loose the bolt holding in the CV.

Leave the wheel on.. Undo the rear lower control arma the subframe leaving it attached at the bearing housing. You will have to lower the subframe a hair to completely get this bolt off.

remove cv bolt completely. With the steering unlocked.. (turn key on then off but do not remove) Use the lower control arm as a lever arm against the tire to turn it all the way. Pull on driveshaft and angle CV joint till it pop out.

put bolt back into CV joint to use as a place to hold. Smack back of CV firmly but not wrecklessly with hammer. There is a special tool to drive it off through teh bolt hole but most dont' have it so this method works best.. You can also sometimes use the bolt to push it off but if you have one with thehollow axle you will just butcher the threads on the bolt and the wreck the threads on the CV when backing it out so I don't recommend it.. or you will spend several hours trying to retap the CV.. and unles you have a pile of axle bolts around to make your own taps it would proably cost you clos to 50 bucks for that size tap.. if you can find it.

Once the CV is off.. clean it out and repack it.. put on the new boot.. Put the bolt back in the CV and use that to bang it back on the axle..

Make sure when putting the axle back in the inner CV did not pop apart when you were banging the CV off or you will have a hard time getting the outer joint back in the bearing..

Use control arm again to get leverage against the tire to turn it so you can get the joint back into the bearing.. reinstall lower control arm. tighten up the control arm AND SUBFRAME!!!

put bolt back into CV.. tighten the best you can.. lower car and torque/stretch bolt to spec.

darth tater
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
oh and the clips on the boot.. you can probably guy the tool for under 10 bucks.. or ifyou have a good set of dikes you can use those to pinch it.. just obviously be careful not to cut the clamp.

Ewok_Fetus
08-31-2007, 06:56 AM
DON'T USE A HAMMER TO GET THE JOINT BACK ON!! I tried and fooked it up like a few people have... But if you lay the inner joint on the ground (VERY CLEAN NEWSPAPER) you can just press the joint on with your body weight... That is what I did... Good luck as this job was a bitch for me...

SeanF
08-31-2007, 07:00 AM
once you get the joint out of the hub, you can use the hub bolt to pull the joint off the axle...

lots of latex gloves, and a drop sheet, truuuuuuuust me... its a fricken mess...

darth tater
08-31-2007, 07:15 AM
DON'T USE A HAMMER TO GET THE JOINT BACK ON!! I tried and fooked it up like a few people have... But if you lay the inner joint on the ground (VERY CLEAN NEWSPAPER) you can just press the joint on with your body weight... That is what I did... Good luck as this job was a bitch for me...

you have to be pretty wreckless to mess the joint up using a hammer.. I can't even count the number of outer CV boots I have done.. just about every A6 that comes in for service needs a boot and every tech I know uses the method above.

If you were able to just pop the joint off on the ground with body weight you were lucky as that is not normal..

i've actualy had to pull the axle, put it in a vice.. get someone to hold the vice steady another hold the joint straight and go at it with a sledgehammer to get some joints off.. and stil they are not damaged.

darth tater
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
once you get the joint out of the hub, you can use the hub bolt to pull the joint off the axle...

this can be very dangerous.. If you attempt this method make sure that you grind down the end threads on the bolt with a taper. If you do not and the threads mushroom out you will destroy the threads of the joint when backing it out.. I have seen this way too many times.

loustylez
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
this is my car we're working on so i appreciate the advice fellas. darth tater's walkthrough seems helpful enough and goes along with what i've read on audiworld and such. this shouldn't be too bad.

josh, i have a drop cloth (some plastic) i'll try and remember to bring up.

Beemer832
09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
F*CK!!!!!!!! cant get CV back into hub!! i thought this was suppose to be easy?! its going on hour 9 and we dont even have the 1st boot done yet!! F*CK this shit!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

rms-s4
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
lol i beat them on and off with the hammer all day long, but i usually just sell the whole axle cause i hate the mess. but when i just do the outer boot i make them get me the outer joint too. i usually pop the tie rod end off. pull the upper control arm bolt out. every one i have ever done is seized in there so a large hammer or air chizel does the job. pull everything forward. cut the old boot off. pound the joint off, slide the new boot on, thread the old bolt in and pound the joint and and re assemble. takes 25 minutes, and i get paid 2.5 hours for it. flat rate is good! :)

darth tater
09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
rms... try the lower control arm method.. saves having to deal with the stuck upper control arm bolt.

made a fortune on them too :)

Beemer832
09-01-2007, 07:42 PM
um yea 12 hours and are completely stuck. cant get CV joint pushed back into hub. the splines i think are F*cked. we may have forced it in too much through various methods throughout the day (since this alone has taken the majority of the afternoon). i even went through the trouble of filing them all down to no avail. It also seems that the axle isnt long enough now to fit into and through the hub, although it might because it is not sliding in right. This really is a living nightmare. I'd take a TB job over this any day of the week.

I really don't understand whats so complicated about this working and fitting together but obviously someone else has other plans for us :) if anyone has any info or pictures or anything please pass on.. thanks
josh

in the event that the teeth are screwed and that's what's preventing them from going back into the hub, what would be our next step? buy a new cv joint? new hub assembly (or just the... what, wheel bearing part of it where the teeth are?).

~desperate~

darth tater
09-01-2007, 08:07 PM
just use a file to clean up the threads.. get a square file

just keep trying you will be able to clean it up..

how did you manage to mess up those splines?

sorry kept hitting something that was posting

Beemer832
09-02-2007, 06:12 AM
(this is lou btw)

we were trying to get the cv joint back onto the axle and it wasn't going so we used a hammer to hit the end (that goes into the hub) and it still wouldn't go. that C clip ended up somehow coming out of it's groove and one end of it was sticking up preventing it from going passed. that took us for a loop for a good hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't go on. once we had it on the axle, we had trouble getting it into the hub (probably because we mushroomed the cv joint end) and resorted to trying to use the old axle bolt to suck it through. we didn't test that too much, but it may have been enough to mess up the teeth inside the boot.

and that's where we're at.

josh spent a lot of time filing out the inside of the hub and got it to what i thought was pretty freakin good and smooth again.

we're gonna take the hub assembly completely off and out and get plenty of room to see if we can get it back in there. i'm gonna shoot my self when the other side takes an hour and we're done, hah.

darth tater
09-02-2007, 07:31 AM
if you were hitting the CV joint you should have had the bolt in the end of it so that you didn't mushroom it (I even pointed that out)

Why is the hub having issues if you were hitting the CV? that makes little sense.

Beemer832
09-02-2007, 09:59 AM
because we didn't get it all the way in when we "finished" up and was backing the car out. i put it in reverse and it wasn't going anywhere, put the car back into park and it grinded. we've definitely made mistakes. going to o'reily's and getting a new axle assembly. the only thing that should be up in question now is the hub splines. if those are f'd bad enough then we'll have to start filing those down too. who knows, this seems hopeful though.

Beemer832
09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
got the new axle assembly. anybody got any tips on getting the axle loose from the inner tranny side? each one of those six are on there super tight and we're having a heck of a time figuring out how to get them off. anti seize lube? we touched it with an impact but i'm scared to do that w/ those 12 point bits.

Beemer832
09-02-2007, 03:46 PM
all done, close to a 36 hour job with sleep and frustration :).. it was a hell of a time but its back together and back on the road. Thank god!! This has definitly made me more aware of what needs to be closely paid attention to for detail. Hopefully when its my turn to get these done we wont make the same mistakes....

josh

loustylez
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM
i don't even want to think about this job anymore or go over it in my head. all i know is, thanks a ton for your help josh. need a hand with anything ever, just ask ;)

i'm gonna try and knock out the other side this weekend at my dad's.