PDA

View Full Version : B5 A4..some Q's

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Im still looking around for one(Buying used), and some of my friends are telling me that these cars have too much problems etc.

So fill me in....

TMorris
08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Every car has problems. Your level of problems will depend on how the car was previously maintained.

You probably or should know the issues with the Timing belts at 80K, CEL, Coil pack and the other gremlins that plague our cars. Just look through all of the FAQ buying guides for info and this thread will shoot off as well.

This is a great tool.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2080285

.Mad Hatter.
08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
my dad said the same thing to me when i bought my a4. i havent had to do anything costly in 9 months of ownership. make sure it was taken care of and that you also take care of it. the most expensixe thing ive had to do maintenance wise was the rear diff seals, and that was mostly labor.

sixfiveoh
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
my dad said the same thing to me when i bought my a4. i havent had to do anything costly in 9 months of ownership. make sure it was taken care of and that you also take care of it. the most expensixe thing ive had to do maintenance wise was the rear diff seals, and that was mostly labor.

x2

My parents and many people I knew were ragging on me for the move into German cars from Hondas. So far, I've owned the car for around 4 months, and not one major problem. I had to replace the brakes, but they were due. Doing your own work saves $. My car had 47k on the odometer and was well maintained it's whole life, like mentioned before, previous maintenance and care plays a key role in how well your car will run and how much maintenance it will require.

.Mad Hatter.
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
bingo, its no more expensive parts or labor wise than an acura, or a subaru. do your own labor, get your oil changed regularly (3000miles/5000km) and most of all, enjoy it.

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Every car has problems. Your level of problems will depend on how the car was previously maintained.

You probably or should know the issues with the Timing belts at 80K, CEL, Coil pack and the other gremlins that plague our cars. Just look through all of the FAQ buying guides for info and this thread will shoot off as well.

This is a great tool.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2080285

thank you very helpful.

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the quick reply's, I do all my own fluid changes, and any other services to a certain extent.

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Also, how do you feel about a A4 with ~80k?

Nor_Cal_Driver
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
What year and how much? T-belt done?

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Havnt physicaly check the car just online shoppin, but i got the info printed(thx zobie.) I'll be sure to ask all the info if those have been done/changed.

The 80k one is a 2000 asking ~$10k

.Mad Hatter.
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
personally, mileage is only one small factor, id ask to see all service records, at that point the timing belt and should have been done. watch for bulbs in the cluster being burnt out, diff seals leaking, leaking motor mount/damaged mounts. the turbo may be on its way out, so just make sure its been taken care of.

2001A4QUATTRO
08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I picked up my 2001.5 1.8TQMS for $10k with 68k. I also had them do timing belt etc BEFORE I got the car. LOL The guy was like " No problem, if that is all that is keeping you from buying the car I will take care of it... LOL When I picked it up the guy was getting reamed for eating over $1500 Parts/labor. LOL I did pretty good on that one...

onemoremile
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Im still looking around for one(Buying used), and some of my friends are telling me that these cars have too much problems etc.

So fill me in....

The bright side is that you'll get to collect a lot of nice tools. It just happens. [wrench][up]

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
The bright side is that you'll get to collect a lot of nice tools. It just happens. [wrench][up]

Always room for more tools.[up]

Shortness
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
milage generally isnt an issue with these cars. look for servace records in the literature, and do all the standard checks. we sell alot of b5s with 100,000+ miles (some as high as 180k) and they are generally very solid.[up]

the common issues with b5s are cels, t-belts, coil packs, and the occasional control arm or four. abrupt failures are nearly non existant (in my experience with my customers and my car), and parts are comperable to Hondas right now price wise. at least here in PA

just one thing: expect a big drop in performance compared to an S2000. at least until you start wrenching[wrench]

S2K TO A4
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
milage generally isnt an issue with these cars. look for servace records in the literature, and do all the standard checks. we sell alot of b5s with 100,000+ miles (some as high as 180k) and they are generally very solid.[up]

the common issues with b5s are cels, t-belts, coil packs, and the occasional control arm or four. abrupt failures are nearly non existant (in my experience with my customers and my car), and parts are comperable to Hondas right now price wise. at least here in PA

just one thing: expect a big drop in performance compared to an S2000. at least until you start wrenching[wrench]

Thanks, yeh i look at specs, review on the car and yeh big drop, but im a moddaholic so lots of parts to come.

onemoremile
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I've been stuck at home all day with a bad Ignition Control Module. Had to overnight one from ECS. That was $135 that I had no intention of spending this week.

Flyboy64
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
No car is 100% prone free from defects. I have had mine for 5 months with 90k miles. I have add another 10k and only have done rear wheel bearings. My honda had less miles on it when buying it and had to do alot more. I would take a Audi over a Honday anyday.

Nor_Cal_Driver
08-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Enjoy the torque, it's nothing like a f22. With just a relfash you get 230tq.

Kyle H
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Enjoy the torque, it's nothing like a f22. With just a relfash you get 230tq.

I bet it's not!
http://www.globalaircraft.org/photos/planephotos/f-22-1.jpg

Everyones answered the question... Just make sure the services have been done (timing belt, control arms depending on mileage, make sure it's not leaking anything, etc)

S2K TO A4
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I bet it's not!
http://www.globalaircraft.org/photos/planephotos/f-22-1.jpg

Everyones answered the question... Just make sure the services have been done (timing belt, control arms depending on mileage, make sure it's not leaking anything, etc)

Haha, i tell that to people who ask what i do for a living and say i fly a F22 on the weekend lol. And there like that really cool really fast huh? I respond somtimes gets alot of heatsoak and such. then they have a clueless face.

But thats AZ for the tip/info.[up]