PDA

View Full Version : 4th alternator in 3 months!!!

B5alive
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I had an issue back in May with my alternator, and three alternators later, this one goes out. The battery light seems to come on when I gas it hard in tip mode.

What the hell is going on here with this car. I had it barely over a year, it looks good but I'm tired of taking it in to get the alternator replaced... It's a 2001 sport package btw...

Thanks

j2da
08-30-2007, 08:18 AM
hows your battery? if the battery is no good, the alternator has to constantly recharge the battery...which could do some damage to your alternator

billyblooshoes
08-30-2007, 08:21 AM
are the alternators youre getting refurbished or remanufactured by any chance? i had the same kind of problem last summer. got a remanufactured bosch alternator when mine died, and it crapped out on me, got another one, crapped out also. finally i got all my money back and just got a new one at discount from the place for my trouble.

B5alive
08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah they are re manufactured... The guy I take it to has a 1 year deal on his service so he has been changing them for free. I guess I would have to wait until I could afford a 120amp alternator.

AnthraciteA4
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Double check all of your grounding points, I might even go as far as to buy one of those glorified speaker wire "grounding kits"

auto_euroticaA4
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
if the battery light comes on during acceleration it might actually be overcharging, usually just means the alternator has a faulty voltage regulator. also a bad battery will definitly cause an alternator to blow, and if the battery is good just make sure its fully charged before installing.
a remanufactured alternator is just as good as brand new btw, trust me i rebuild them for a living. it really all depends who you're getting them from.

B5alive
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Well something is really bad because the battery is good, that was tested. I don't know what else could be killing the alternator unless they aren't using the 120amp required? Maybe this company isn't putting in the 120, instead a smaller amp?

My car just died right now too, it's dead.

offroader1006
08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
could be a bad voltage reg, could be the wrong amp alternator, could have another electrical problem causting your alternator to overwork itself, could have bad oxidation on the block where the alt mounts.

take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

auto_euroticaA4
08-30-2007, 09:16 PM
hows the tensioner? maybe the belt is just slipping.

darth tater
08-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Since you are getting them from someone who is rebuilding them is he swapping YOUR regulator on each one.. It could be bad like many have mentioned.

Also what tests did you do on the battery? did you actualy do a battery test that puts a load on it when its running and not running and checks the battery in all conditions?

How old is the battery you have in the car?

B5alive
08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
I got the battery in April from Pepboys, it's a Bosch. The battery was tested with no load. I 'll check the voltage regulator.

As far as the belt slipping and the tensioner, Wouldn't it be ok at moderate speeds then? This happened a few weeks into driving like the rest of them.