PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent large amount of smoke on cold start?

bigrobby
08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
99.5 a4 1.8t 124k

this is my brother's car, hes not an idiot or anything but im the car guy and do the work on his car.
so he says two different times recently he started it up after it sat overnight and it put out a lot of smoke for and estimated 3-5 seconds. he has driven it multiple times since then and not a single bit of smoke. it never smokes at all when driving, idling, even after idling for a while(valve stem seals would typically do it then). hes even had people follow him to make sure. he says the smoke looked bluish black in color and smelled like oil smoke. it's not cold out it hasnt been below 75 here in GA in a while.

ok so i had him pull off the hose from the intercooler to the throttle body.......completely dry. to me that eliminates the turbo because if oil were to come through the intake side there would be some residue in there and if oil came out the exhaust half theres no way it would burn immediately on a cold start, definitely not hot enough yet to make lots of smoke.

valve stem seals? or i guess maybe they call em valve guides or something. i just think it would last longer than a few seconds if it happened on initial startup and would happen more consistently. there is never smoke and exhaust smells clean all the time.

the only other thing i can think of is the serpentine belt somehow slipping bad and him not noticing it. that would surprise me though.

please help because hes so paranoid and afraid to take his car anywhere but local places.

Flyboy64
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
My guess would be valve Guide Seals. Having the car sit overnight allows the oil to seap past the seals and rest in the cylinders which quickly burns off when started. Have him get a compression check to get a better idea.

SurferForever
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
inner valve cover gasket? Could be alowing only a little bit but more at startup