PDA

View Full Version : New Audi owner = questions

ic3wall
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi guys,

I just got and A4 about a month ago and it's time for some maintenance ...
The car has approximately 118 000 km, which is around 73 000 miles for you guys, so the timing belt has to be done pretty soon. My mechanic suggested me a kit for 379$ which includes the following:

-Tensioning Damper
-Timing Belt
-Tensioning Roller

But I found the samething for 210$ on this website:

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/quote.jsp?year=1999&product=A5006-88490&application=000556864&part=Timing%20Belt%20Kit&category=A

The price difference is quite significant, so I was wondering if you guys had any feedback/experience with bad quality belts, or everything is almost the same [confused]

Second, I also have to change my front and rear link kits. Again, I found some on the same website for half the price:

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=1999&make=AU&model=A4-QT-001&category=L&part=Sway+Bar+Link

Any comments ? should I pay attention to something in particular before purchasing these ... ? Are they total crap ?

By the way my car is an Audi A4 1999.5 Quattro 1.8T Manual.

(And sorry for the english mistakes, it's not my first language)

Thanks a lot !

Bic-Ball
08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
There are a few different kits you can get, ecs tuning, pap parts, pure ms and dieselgeek to name off of my heada. I bought a kit from diesel geek two week ago because i liked the way they listed all their parts and had individual pics, it reassured me. plus they included long bolts to make moving the bumper up easier. if you want to get a kit it should include the ac belt and and power steering. you might as well do those while you're in there.

a good kit will include all this stuff:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=306

the kit suggested to you is just the bare minimum.

ic3wall
08-29-2007, 06:08 AM
the kit suggested to you is just the bare minimum.

I know but the rest was also included by my mechanic but separately...

ic3wall
08-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I just took a look at your kit, it seems very good and complete!

However, since I live in Canada, I'll have to consider custom + shipping fees...

onemoremile
08-29-2007, 06:44 AM
I know but the rest was also included by my mechanic but separately...

He'll make more money that way.

Your kit should include the timing belt, main serpentine belt, and the air conditioning belt. It should also include the timing belt tensioner, water pump, and potentially some other odds and ends. the belts, tensioner, and water pump are the biggies.

pinky
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
timing belt
tensioner
idler roller
tensioner roller
serp/acc belts
timing belt
water pump
thermostat

imho, that is what should be in the kit

i'm also going to do the motor mounts and tranny mounts when i do mine

ic3wall
08-29-2007, 07:20 AM
He'll make more money that way.

Your kit should include the timing belt, main serpentine belt, and the air conditioning belt. It should also include the timing belt tensioner, water pump, and potentially some other odds and ends. the belts, tensioner, and water pump are the biggies.

ok so the kit suggested by bic-ball is very complete.

Does anybody have feedback of this kit in terms of quality cuz the price is very low ??

Last thing, whats my engine code (AEB or ATW) ? (1999.5 quattro 1.8T, 150 hp)

Thanks for the quick answers!

Really appreciated

maxspeed
08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
your an AEB

and definatley do the waterpump at the same time!

akielb
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
cam seals would also be a good investment - I did my TB and a couple weeks later I started to get a leak from them - could have saved myself a few hours of tearing my front end off again.

Bic-Ball
08-29-2007, 12:03 PM
this is everything i have rounded up to do the timing belt. i was meaning to start on tuesday but keep putting it off because i cant help but wake up at like 5 pm :\

http://www.zeroproof.com/bicball/timingparts.jpg

ic3wall
08-31-2007, 07:40 AM
I was reading some other thread on timing belts and I found the ECS Timing Belt Kit which seems to include the samething as the dieselgeek one (10$ more expansive), but they offer a product warranty + half price shipping for canadian customers.

Which kit would you choose ?

[drive]

Oricle
08-31-2007, 07:53 AM
I was reading some other thread on timing belts and I found the ECS Timing Belt Kit which seems to include the samething as the dieselgeek one (10$ more expansive), but they offer a product warranty + half price shipping for canadian customers.

Which kit would you choose ?

[drive]

either one would be fine. all products include a manufactuer warrenty, but either way you'll be fine. Do the diesel geeks if they offer good shipping prices to canada, ect.

zionrider
08-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Firstly congrates on the new car. As far as who to purchase from both are great companies and will provide a great product. One deciding factor may be how they ship the goods to Canada. I'm actually from Canada aswell but live in Sweden now. So anyway if they send the package with FedEx or UPS you'll get charged a heap of cash for them to get it across the boarder. They have people (companies) that get the goods across the boarder quicker. Make sure that they are shipped with USPS (United States Postal Service) It is much much cheaper this way. I know from experience. Also check this (http://www.audidiy.com/b5a4.html) site for some good DIY writeups on our cars. There is also a good chance you may not even get charged much for the duty. I've shipped goods from the States and at times have hardly payed anything.

ic3wall
08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Thank you!!

I e-mailed dieselgeek and he told me to get it shipped by Fedex if I want to get it quicker ... but I don't wanna pay too much for shipping and duty so I'll probably choose USPS and wait!

Thx for the advice guys!

audiness
08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
let me know how chaning out those rear end links goes...i need to do mine as well. Does not look like a fun job...

biketsai
08-31-2007, 08:31 PM
sweet

pinky
08-31-2007, 09:34 PM
this is everything i have rounded up to do the timing belt. i was meaning to start on tuesday but keep putting it off because i cant help but wake up at like 5 pm :\

http://www.zeroproof.com/bicball/timingparts.jpg

that looks a lot like my pile.. (also has a fuel filter, but no coilpack cover) [up]

Bic-Ball
08-31-2007, 11:05 PM
my pile is much smaller now, just have the 4 mounts let which im hoping to do tomorrow :D

im pretty sure the diesel geek kit comes with 3 cam seals while the ecs one doesnt, but they're pretty cheap and can be bought from ecs also so that's not a big deal. the diesel geek kit does come with two extra long bolts that allow you to pull the front end off the car a few inches and let it hang which comes in nice for disconnecting those 3 or 4 extra wires connecting it to the car. i found it real helpful trying to get the front back on the car while doing the tb job myself. it should also be noted that the diesel geek kit doesn't come with coolant while the more expensive ecs ones do. diesel geek sells it separately. im sure either kit is fine.