PDA

View Full Version : slight oil leak, need some ideas

jm121189
08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
just got a 2000 1.8t today from a dealer up in nh. I was very happy on the drive home and the car looks great and doesn't seam to have any problems aside from this little leak. I put the car in my garage and then after a few hours backed it out and saw a small dark spot. My guess and my dads is that it's oil. Seamed to be about where the middle-back of the engine was. Are there any common places that tend to get small leaks like the drain or a gasket? The leak doesn't seam to be a lot but u can definitely tell it's there. I plan to do some hunting tomorrow when it's light but i'd like to know where to start. Did a search and didn't get anything useful in the first few pages. I'd like to figure this out quickly because the car has a 30 day/1000 mile warranty.

audiness
08-28-2007, 05:53 PM
i'd say take it back in. most common leak is the valve cover (easy fix), but could also be rear main seal. ($$)

all audi's leak some oil

Flyboy64
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
A oil leak mid engine could still be coming from the front. Take it back to the dealer and have them throw it up on a rack to see where its coming from. It could be leaking for anywhere and just traveled down to the mid back area.

akielb
08-29-2007, 08:48 AM
its not your job to tell them where the leak is - get the car in to the dealer ASAP - could be

valve cover
rear seal
cam and crank seals
the last time the oil was changed they didn't put a copper washer on the oil plug