PDA

View Full Version : What's This Noise?

JoBuNY
08-28-2007, 06:56 AM
The other day I noticed a noise that sounded like it came from behind the dash only when I started or stopped the car. Then I found out that if I push down on the front of the car (either the driver or passenger side) I can hear the noise. The noise sounds like it's coming from between the motor and the firewall and seems to only be really noticeable when it's very hot outside. A few days we've had like high 80s to high 90s here and I can really hear it then, especially if I'm driving for a while. Some days we've had cooler weather and I can still hear the noise, it's just not as loud as the hotter days. I'm assuming the reason I hear it when I start or stop is because the weight is shifting and it's technically the same as me pushing down on the front of the car.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Thanks for the input

JoBuNY
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Nobody has had anything like this before?

onemoremile
08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
What does it sound like. Is is a squeaking, creeking, popping, cracking, thud, or what?

Lazer Viking
08-29-2007, 09:40 AM
dead kitten stuck between trans and firewall ?

AnthraciteA4
08-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I would check the front control arms bushings. 4 link suspension has a lot of pieces that can go wrong, or get things stuck in them. I had pea gravel stuck in my spring perch for the longest time. It sounded terrible

JoBuNY
08-29-2007, 10:26 AM
it sounds more "creeking" then anything. when the car is in motion I don't hear it, but as soon as the weight shifts I can hear it. Like if I'm at a street light and I start to go, or I come to a stop. Best comparison I can think of to the noise is like the old cars that got blown shocks and make creeky noises when the car bounces on a bump. I can live with the noise if I have to, but I'm just more worried it's doing damage to the car.

JoBuNY
08-31-2007, 04:46 AM
I've talked to a few people at my work and they think it may be a bad ball joint. If I replace the ball joint, should I just do the whole control arm to? or just the ball joint.

onemoremile
08-31-2007, 06:09 AM
That noise is usually at least one bad upper control arm. I had it for the last 6 months along with an occasional thunk over big bumps and a little shimmy when braking. It felt like a "warped" rotor. I replaced the two upper arms on that corner and she drives like new. After a week of normal driving the brakes are smooth again too.

biketsai
08-31-2007, 06:26 AM
That noise is usually at least one bad upper control arm. I had it for the last 6 months along with an occasional thunk over big bumps and a little shimmy when braking. It felt like a "warped" rotor. I replaced the two upper arms on that corner and she drives like new. After a week of normal driving the brakes are smooth again too.

my rear left brake sounds like the rotor is warped when i brake, do you think something is out?

JoBuNY
08-31-2007, 06:52 AM
"onemoremile" thank you.....I also get the feeling of "warped rotors" like you mentioned and also sometimes the car vibrates at high speeds like a tire out of balance, so it's gotta be a bad control arm or two. How can I figure out which front side control arms are bad? And what did you get as a replacement for your control arms?

onemoremile
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Brake rotors rarely warp although the rears are thin enough to do it fairly easily. My bad control arms were letting the hub move under load so it loaded up the pad unevenly. It took a week to scrub the extra pad material off the rotor so that braking was normal again.

onemoremile
08-31-2007, 06:59 AM
I tried the Hamburg-Technic upper control arm set on ebay. I had installed an ECS upgraded set at 80k miles and now at 125k the front right uppers went bad. The H-T arms are great so far. They were 99.95 with free shipping. The seller was aceautopartsgallery. I asked a lot of questions regarding the strength and durability and the owner owns a B5 A4 and an UrS6. I told him I'm a mod here and if his arms failed it would be no secret and he still said they were good.

JoBuNY
09-01-2007, 02:46 PM
so I got underneath my car today and checked out everything I could see. It appears that the passenger side upper control arm are shot. the rubber seals or bushing near the shocks are shot on both (look like they rotted out). So I'm gonna have to replace them

I also noticed this, I don't know the name of the part. But I think it's part of the axle for the front wheel. There is a rubber bushing on that as well that is pretty beat...the part I'm talking about connects to the suspension then runs thru the wheel well into / under the engine compartment. What would that be?

onemoremile
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
That is the tie rod end. They tend to fail too. Replace them with the S4 outer tie rod ends. They are a little tougher.

JoBuNY
09-02-2007, 12:47 PM
OK thanks.......got any suggestions for a good place to buy the Tie Rods from? Should I just get OEM S4 Tie Rods? or aftermarket