PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-dip help

fred2ka4
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
***UPDATED***

CHECK LAST POST FOR NEW PICS

Well I went out to Home Depot today and got a can of Plasti-dip so that I can respray my RS4 grill, but here is my dilemma. Should I,

A) Just paint the outer edge of the grill?

B) Paint the edge and the chrome rings?

I am liking the blacked out look of the front end since my car does not have any chrome on it and I think it would look better with the CF hood but I also like the chrome rings as they stand out and let it be known that this is an Audi.

Let me know what you guys think and I will let this poll run until this weekend and whatever you guys decide by voting is what I will do.

Thanks, Fred

My car is in your hands ................. [confused] [:D]

AudiSport12
08-27-2007, 11:58 PM
just the outer chrome. leave the rings

sixfiveoh
08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
just the outer chrome. leave the rings

x2

I always thought it would look reallll cool if you could mask off just the tip of the rings so it had a tiny inlay of black in the center of then, and the rest would remain that chrome, but that would be hella hard. And time consuming. And now that I think about it, wouldn't even look that good.

I vote just the outer chrome.

http://sixfiveohphoto.com/audi/Dyno%20Day/dynoday%20057.jpg

fred2ka4
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
If you guys click on my sig you will see that the grill is already painted black but now it has a lot of chips in it so it needs to be re-done. But thanks for the comments so far.

skunkoncrunk
08-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Your ride is seriously sick Fred. [up]

Lazer Viking
08-28-2007, 06:46 AM
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/528/dsc00021fc4.jpg

i like the blacked out rings on my car.. looks subtle

kjgarreau
08-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Just the outside imo.

http://coup-media.com/kenny/audi/grilltrim/DSCF0002.JPG

j2da
08-28-2007, 07:23 AM
i would keep the rings chrome, and paint the outer black. i just painted my rings black and now im regretting it. but on another note your car is sick.

zionrider
08-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I am like the rest and think leave them chrome. Although that pick posted above with black rings does look fine. Kinda aggresive looking. Either way the car will still be sick.

offroader1006
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
http://sixfiveohphoto.com/audi/Dyno%20Day/dynoday%20057.jpg

you have a euro front bumper???[confused]

sixfiveoh
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM

whutchutalkinbout.

that's stock lol. what looks different about it?

TMorris
08-28-2007, 02:14 PM

The only difference in Euro and NA bumpers is the size. American bumpers stick out more because of the 5 MPH bumper law and the Euros are a lot slimmer. Im looking for a picture that shows the differences on Lltek but if any one has the mag its in there.

mike-2ptzero
08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Fred just buy an extra set of rings, black out 1 set and leave the other stock. This way you can just switch them to see what you like better.

fred2ka4
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Fred just buy an extra set of rings, black out 1 set and leave the other stock. This way you can just switch them to see what you like better.

That sounds expensive!! Do I look like I have money just lying around to throw away?!?! ............. [rolleyes]

mike-2ptzero
08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
That sounds expensive!! Do I look like I have money just lying around to throw away?!?! ............. [rolleyes]

LOL. Damn then I guess I could always let you borrow my extra set of rings, but not till you return something else[;)]

Shit I wish I had the money that you just throw away.[:p]

Kyle H
08-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Maybe even buy a carbon fiber set of rings!

fred2ka4
08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Maybe even buy a carbon fiber set of rings!

Now for that I would spend some money .................. [:D]

Does anyone know where to get them from?

onemoremile
08-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Scotch-Brite them to a nice brushed finish. You'll be the kewlest.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3528.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3531.jpg

AudiSport12
08-28-2007, 06:50 PM
it may be the flash of the camera, but those look old as if from a lot of wear and tear

onemoremile
08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
They don't photograph well. They look just like the stainless fridge front.

Johns_Orange_b5
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
or u could just plastic dip both, and then peel it off if u dont like it, plasti dip tears off really easily

AnthraciteA4
08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
or u could just plastic dip both, and then peel it off if u dont like it, plasti dip tears off really easily

^ very true, if you are looking for some durability, I would recommend something closer to a spray on liner, or atleast an epoxy based paint. Rubberized coatings like plastidip may not scratch easily, but they to tear and pit.

arizona steve
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
what about black chrome?! a dark shaded chrome...ive seen it. im going to black out the outter trim soon, my rs4 grill also came with that aluminium looking plastic trim...its not shiney chrome its more a dull silver. i wanted to pop that on but it would probably look funny with chrome rings right next to it.

besides my car is already black on black with dark black tint...

fred2ka4
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
^ very true, if you are looking for some durability, I would recommend something closer to a spray on liner, or atleast an epoxy based paint. Rubberized coatings like plastidip may not scratch easily, but they to tear and pit.

So even if I sand it with 150 grit sandpaper, the plasti-dip wont stay on that well??

AnthraciteA4
08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
There are adhesive promoters and such out there, I would definitely put a primer on first, but I was talking about the resistance to rock chips, sand, and other road hazards. Plastidip is still very soft and rubberlike, it would be a shame to see small bits of road crap get stuck in it.

mike-2ptzero
08-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Cant they anodize plastic or how about spraying them with black wrinkle paint?

biketsai
08-29-2007, 06:11 AM
i just blacked out the trim of my new rs4 grill, im loving it

onemoremile
08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Plasti-Dip spray is stronger than normal paint as long as the surface is prepped and you use multiple thin coats. Plastic cannot be anodized since it does not form an aluminum oxide layer.

fred2ka4
08-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Plasti-Dip spray is stronger than normal paint as long as the surface is prepped and you use multiple thin coats. Plastic cannot be anodized since it does not form an aluminum oxide layer.

I was thinking of sanding first with a 150 grit and then finish with a 320 grit but I am concerned that the 320 might leave the surface to smooth for the palsti-dip to adhere properly. I think the 150 should be good enough and then like you said, multiple thin coats.

.Mad Hatter.
08-29-2007, 08:03 AM
i recently blacked out just the trim. it looks better than having the rings black as well...on my car at least.

onemoremile
08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
I was thinking of sanding first with a 150 grit and then finish with a 320 grit but I am concerned that the 320 might leave the surface to smooth for the palsti-dip to adhere properly. I think the 150 should be good enough and then like you said, multiple thin coats.

150-200 is about right for good adhesion.

kevin12
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I agree with everyone else paint the trim leave the rings chrome thats what I did and I love it. I think it makes my car look so much better....

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k111/racer67gt/DSCF0113.jpg

AnthraciteA4
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM

The purpose of sanding is to remove surface inperfections. In theory you can start at 150, then 220, then 320, then 400, then 600... but as long as you make sure its completely clean before you spray you will be fine. I recommend some 70% isopropyl alcohol and non powdered gloves when you get into the final steps. I would still use an adhesion promoter or atleast a sandable primer. Primers are designed to bond well with whatever you spray them on and then the plastidip will definitely have something to stick to.

Plastidip IS stronger than your general Krylon-type enamels and such. It is also still a rubberized surface and prone to softening under heat and prone to allowing small particles to embed themselves in the surface. So unless you are looking for a satin or matte finish, I would advise a clear coat. Clear coats have different properties and sometime they don't play well with other paint types, STAY AWAY for the $0.98 cans that Walmart sells. I'd look for one that is designed for use with plastics or automotive use(duplicolor). Then before you use the plasti dip OR the clearcoat, test them on something else prior to spraying your grille. Any painted surface you are willing to part with should suffice. Wait for the plastidip to dry COMPLETELY and then clear coat it. Even strokes and thin coats are the key.

I have been spray painting for a long time now, feel free to PM me if you have questions or if you want me to STFU.

Jereme
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
yeah I had all black grill with flat black rings and flat black sport rims, and it looked really badass for a while but once i got my 18"s I got chrome rings it looks a HELL of alot better and goes real nice with the rims....

mike-2ptzero
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I would still love to get my hands on a set of rings in CF.

Jereme
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM

same here..

AnthraciteA4
08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

I would try to set up a group buy with switchblind360 here on the forums. It wouldn't be hard to do a vacuum mold. I'd do it myself, but I still don't have my garage back yet. If the price is right I am sure you could get atleast 20 people.

EuroA4
08-29-2007, 10:14 AM
All black IMO...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/EuroA4/A4%20B5/IMG_2926.jpg

onemoremile
08-29-2007, 01:59 PM

I've been toying with a little garage project to do them in 2x2 or 4x4 carbon or titanium but never put any time into it. It would be simple to do them in carbon. Trimming the finished part would be the only tricky part. The titanium would be much tougher. It isn't something I want to cast in the garage. A could have Perceptron laser scan the rings and create something that a machining center would turn out perfectly but that ain't cheap. Could also cast them in aluminum. Cast aluminum with a sandblasted, brushed or polished finishes would be great.

AnthraciteA4
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I've been toying with a little garage project to do them in 2x2 or 4x4 carbon or titanium but never put any time into it. It would be simple to do them in carbon. Trimming the finished part would be the only tricky part. The titanium would be much tougher. It isn't something I want to cast in the garage. A could have Perceptron laser scan the rings and create something that a machining center would turn out perfectly but that ain't cheap. Could also cast them in aluminum. Cast aluminum with a sandblasted, brushed or polished finishes would be great.

Here is a little gem I have been sitting on for a while, but I doubt I will ever get around to it. If you have ANY CAD experience at all, you can go to http://www.emachineshop.com and download their software. Anything you can design they can make. I was thinking about aluminum or titanium body panels. Fenders, hood, trunk, door panels, etc. Of course titanium is just a pipe dream, but aluminum could be done. I just don't have the time to go take precise measurements from my stock stuff. Rings should be pretty easy. Just get the diameter of one ring, and then measure the total length of the 4 rings and you can go from there.

Good luck!

Starting
08-29-2007, 06:24 PM
you would get absolutely raped trying to get a machine shop to do a body part. I bet they wouldnt even do it or quote since the price would be so high that no one would actually even think of paying it. Its a decent idea for the rings though.

AnthraciteA4
08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
The software does the quoting. You design the part, choose the material, and how you want it processed (water jet, lathe, injection mold, etc) and then it issues a quote. I designed a one piece snap on type tool box shell (without shelves) completely out of aircraft grade billet aluminum and it gave me a quote. I would have to do a run of about 1000 of them to get the low low price of $5000 a piece.

Needless to say, you CAN get a quote it just might not have feasible numbers. The software is easy to use, I actually think its kinda fun but I am weird like that.

EuroA4
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
The problem with the Audi rings is that they are trademarked...not many places will replicate those for you due to the threat of lawsuit from Audi.

Revolution02
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Just the outside imo.

http://coup-media.com/kenny/audi/grilltrim/DSCF0002.JPG

Beautiful!!

jaustin
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
How much did you guys pay for your plasti dip? I paid 5.96 plus tax and will be doing it tonight when I get out of work

mike-2ptzero
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
The problem with the Audi rings is that they are trademarked...not many places will replicate those for you due to the threat of lawsuit from Audi.

That would be true if the place was trying to market them to the whole public to make a huge profit.

wafballa54
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
any pics of a black car w/ an all black grill including rings??

fred2ka4
09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Well here are a few pictures of the completed grill. It came out ok and even though I am not 100% happy with it, it will have to do for now. Sorry for the crappy night pics, but I will try to get some better ones after I get the car back from the body shop .........

I used the plasti-dip and after it dried I applied a few coats of acrylic clear.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/grill001.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/grill006.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/grill007.jpg